Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Paul worked weekdays and kept the Sabbath
5 years ago  ::  May 26, 2010 - 10:34AM #1
Bob10

Acts 18:1-11, NASB - "After these things he left Athens and went to Corinth. And he found a Jew named Aquila,....with his wife Priscilla.... because he was of the same trade, he stayed with them and they were working, for by trade they were tent-makers. And he was reasoning in the synagogue every Sabbath and trying to persuade Jews and Greeks."

If we could find one text in the New Testament giving as strong authority for Sunday observance as this one does for Sabbath-keeping, we should certainly have Bible authority for it. Here Paul worked weekdays, but went to church and taught Gentiles as well as Jews every Sabbath.

Now the Commandment says: "Six days shall you labor, and do all your work," just as much as it says "Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy." There is just as much command to work six days as there is to rest the seventh. And so if the day had been changed, Paul would have had to work Sabbaths, in order to go to church and preach every Sunday. But here he worked weekdays and went to church and preached every Sabbath -- not just on one occasion -- it says every Sabbath.

He preached Christ and the Gospel of the Kingdom. And when the Jews became offended and blasphemed, Paul turned away from the Jews altogether, and from then on preached to Gentiles only (verse 6), and he contined there a year and six months (verse 11) -- working weekdays -- preaching to Gentiles ONLY -- every Sabbath.

What stronger Bible evidence than this, as to the true Sabbath of the New Testament. For a year and a half Paul continued working weekdays -- six days -- including Sundays -- and preaching to Gentiles exclusively EVERY SABBATH. Certainly it was his custom and manner.

And Paul "as his manner was, went in unto them, and three Sabbath Days reasoned with them out of the scriptures (Acts 17:2).

Timothy was Paul's son “in the faith.” Paul mentored Timothy in his work.
Paul tells Timothy, "You have fully known my doctrine, manner of life...." - 2 Tim. 3:10.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 27, 2010 - 2:18AM #2
kurnell

Bob 10,

You really need to discover the grace of God!

Pax

Jeffrey

Treasure your experience of God,however it comes to you.Remember that Christianity is not a notion but a way.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 27, 2010 - 3:36PM #3
Bob10

Hi Jeffrey,

So when the Jews went out of the synagogue, the Gentiles begged that these words might be preached to them the next Sabbath. 43 Now when the congregation had broken up, many of the Jews and devout proselytes followed Paul and Barnabas, who, speaking to them, persuaded them to continue in the grace of God.
44 On the next Sabbath almost the whole city came together to hear the word of God. So when the Jews went out of the synagogue, -- Acts 13:40-47.

Paul preached the Grace of God on the Sabbath to Jews and Gentiles.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 28, 2010 - 11:19AM #4
Bob10

Text from the late Cardinal Gibbons' book Faith of Our Fathers. He frankly admitted the Bible gives no authority for changing the day of worship from Sabbath to Sunday.

Third-- "A rule of faith, or a competent guide to heave, must be able to instruct in all the truths necessary for salvation. Now the Scriptures alone do not contain all the truths which a Christian is bound to believe, nor do they explicitly enjoin all the duties which he is obliged to practice. Not to mention other examples, is not every Christian obliged to sanctify Sunday and to abstain on that day from unnecessary servile work? Is not the observance of this law among the most prominent of our sacred duties? But you may read the Bible from Genesis to Revelation, and you will not find a single line authorizing the sanctification of Sunday. The Scriptures enforce the religious observance of Saturday, a day which we never sanctify.

"The Catholic Church correctly teaches that our Lord and His Apostles inculcated certain important duties of religion which are not recorded by the inspired writers.[See John xxi. 25; II. Thess. ii. 14.] For instance, most Christians pray to the Holy Ghost, a practice which is nowhere found in the Bible.

"We must, therefore, conclude that the Scriptures alone cannot be a sufficient guide and rule of faith because they cannot, at any time, be within the reach of every inquirer; because they are not of themselves clear and intelligible even in matters of the highest importance, and because they do not contain all the truths necessary for salvation." reference-- www.cathcorn.org/foof/8.html

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2010 - 6:12PM #5
Bob_Bennett

The original command about the Sabbath said "six days shall you work and rest on the seventh" or something like that.   It never said which day was # 1 and which was # 7.  So, it makes no difference which day is which.

Jesus said that the sabbath was made for man, not man for the sabbath.    meaning it was just a day off from work in order to pray, etc.

So, this is just an old canard.

Furthermore, Paul was a Jew, and in the first century almost all of the Christians were Jews and so they would have kept "the Sabbath" by attending their synagogues on Saturday.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 04, 2010 - 12:36PM #6
Bob10

Bob Bennet - 'any day in seven' is an old excuse used by "the wolves in sheeps clothing teachers", which I am sure you are not one of.

In Exodus 16, the LORD specifically demonstrates which day is His Holy Seventh Day for His people. Verses 22-28 -- Bread from Heaven. 

borntowin.net

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 04, 2010 - 12:45PM #7
Bob10

I see you know Mark 2:28-29. You are correct. The Sabbath was made for someone. It was made for humankind. And God created all things by Jesus Christ - Eph. 3:9.

Jesus made the Sabbath day by resting on the seventh day (Ex. 31:17) -- And Jesus Himself said He made it for humankind.

It's the "humankind Sabbath", not the "Jewish Sabbath" as the false apostles like to sneeringly say.

The Sabbath is for His people Israel forever, even for spiritual Israel (Gal 6:16).

Galatians 3:29 - If you are Christ's then you are Abraham's children.

Ephesians 2:11-12 - Gentiles who were without Christ were strangers from the nation of Israel.

Rom. 2:28-29 - www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=rom...

That's why there remains a keeping of a Sabbath for the people of God - Heb. 4:9, 5:9.

Isaiah 56:1-8 www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=isa... -- salvation is near to come - Rev. 12:10 - Isa. 56:1 - this is a prophecy for the end time, NT Christians.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 09, 2010 - 12:55PM #8
Bob10

Christ made all things - Eph. 3:9 KJV, Col. 1:16.

Christ made heaven and earth - Hebrews 1:10, Jn 1:1-3, Heb. 1:1-2.

In six days the LORD [Christ] made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is and rested the seventh day - Ex. 20:11, Ex 31:17.

Ex 31:15 - ...the seventh day is the Sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD [Christ]. Christ is the head of the Christian Church (Col. 1:8).

The Seventh day is holy to Christ. "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever" - Hebrews 13:8.

The Son does not change - Heb. 1:12 "I am the LORD [Christ], I change not" - Malachi 3:6.

So why can't our preachers see this and preach this?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 06, 2011 - 12:04PM #9
Robin28

Sorry if this post sounds a bit argumentative - I guess you are SDA as my parents are, I have heard these arguments over and over and for some degree I see where you are coming from - your doctrine of soul sleep makes sense to me. I think what you are not seeing is that there is very little mention of the Sabbath in the New Testament, yet your group emphasizes it as though it was the hinge of all things. Paul clearly says that it is permissible to hold all days alike, that believers gathered together on the Lord's day, one criticism he had was that some groups keep Sabbaths. So your position is not air tight, I'm sure you have objections to all of this but we still go back to the main point that your group keeps complaining about the Sabbath when there is so little emphasis about it in the New Testament. Let's be honest this teaching came through Ellen White and not Scripture, it is backed by your prophetic beliefs so that fear is keeping you locked in this mindset. So I hope you can see beyond these little pet issues that you raise to the crux of the matter - that God has finally revealed Himself fully to us in the person of Jesus and this dwarfs everything else..

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 06, 2011 - 1:11PM #10
Xapisma

Jan 6, 2011 -- 12:04PM, Robin28 wrote:

fear is keeping you locked in this mindset.

In the Book it says, "Perfect Love casts out fear."

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook