Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View obeying the commandments of God is everything
8 years ago  ::  May 15, 2010 - 3:29PM #1
Bob10

"Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing; but obeying the commandments of God is everything." - 1 Cor. 7:19, NRSV

-----------------------------------------------------------

And keep the charge of the LORD thy God, to walk in his ways, to keep his statutes, and his commandments, and his judgments, and his testimonies, as it is written in the law of Moses, that thou mayest prosper in all that thou doest, and whithersoever thou turnest thyself: - 1 kings 2:3.

Oh, the depth of the riches, both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and unfathomable his ways. - Rom. 11:33, NRSV.

Paul still walks in "the ways of the LORD"(Acts 13:10), keeping the Sabbath day(Acts 13:42-43) and holidays of the Bible (1 Cor. 5:7-8).

James and the Elders of the Jerusalem church informed Paul that their members are "all zealous of the law" (Acts 21:20). Can your Church say the same?

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  May 15, 2010 - 4:11PM #2
sincerly

May 15, 2010 -- 3:29PM, Bob10 wrote:

"Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing; but obeying the commandments of God is everything." - 1 Cor. 7:19, NRSV

-----------------------------------------------------------

And keep the charge of the LORD thy God, to walk in his ways, to keep his statutes, and his commandments, and his judgments, and his testimonies, as it is written in the law of Moses, that thou mayest prosper in all that thou doest, and whithersoever thou turnest thyself: - 1 kings 2:3.

Oh, the depth of the riches, both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and unfathomable his ways. - Rom. 11:33, NRSV.

Paul still walks in "the ways of the LORD"(Acts 13:10), keeping the Sabbath day(Acts 13:42-43) and holidays of the Bible (1 Cor. 5:7-8).

James and the Elders of the Jerusalem church informed Paul that their members are "all zealous of the law" (Acts 21:20). Can your Church say the same?

Bob, """ "all zealous of the law" (Acts 21:20)." is a topic on the next page.  Possibly you might read those comments and continue under that thread.

Peace,   Sincerly.      As long as sin is practiced, one will search for a means to validate the continuing therein. ANON

The greatest want of the world is the want of men--men who will not be bought or sold, men who in their inmost souls are true and honest, men who do not fear to call sin by its right name, men whose conscience is as true to duty as the needle to the pole, men who will stand for the right though the heavens fall.---- ANON  (Ellen G. White. 1882)
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Aug 29, 2010 - 3:12PM #3
Bob10

“Oh that their hearts would be inclined to fear me and keep all my commandments always, that it would go well with them and their children forever!” So spoke the God of the Old Testament, who is Jesus Christ, the Lord of Glory. Was this petition specific for only ancient Israel or is it not relevant for our day and age?

When is it ever wrong to keep the commandments of God? When do people not want “it to go well” for them? Is it not the pursuit and desire of every human being to want a good life, a prosperous life, a life of long term, dependable, steady peace and peace of mind?

garnertedarmstrong.org/Mark_Wordfroms/ma...

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Sep 03, 2010 - 11:41AM #4
sincerly

Aug 29, 2010 -- 3:12PM, Bob10 wrote:

“Oh that their hearts would be inclined to fear me and keep all my commandments always, that it would go well with them and their children forever!” So spoke the God of the Old Testament, who is Jesus Christ, the Lord of Glory. Was this petition specific for only ancient Israel or is it not relevant for our day and age?

When is it ever wrong to keep the commandments of God? When do people not want “it to go well” for them? Is it not the pursuit and desire of every human being to want a good life, a prosperous life, a life of long term, dependable, steady peace and peace of mind?      

Bob, there was a psychology book which came out about 40 years ago which influenced greatly the secular mind/religious minds of today."I'm O.K.---You're O.k".   God's Laws matter only as one interprets them to suit one's beliefs. 2Peter(3:16) says people were in his day were "wrest(ing)" both Paul's epistles and the "other scriptures to their own destruction" even then. 

God's Laws were designed to produce the only right relationships between Mankind and GOD on the one hand and ones neighbor on the other. However, the majority of mankind (as Satan before) has thought to change God's Laws to suit the thinking of man's faulty beliefs.(which bring chaos.)  (2Tim.3:13)   

Peace,   Sincerly.      As long as sin is practiced, one will search for a means to validate the continuing therein. ANON

The greatest want of the world is the want of men--men who will not be bought or sold, men who in their inmost souls are true and honest, men who do not fear to call sin by its right name, men whose conscience is as true to duty as the needle to the pole, men who will stand for the right though the heavens fall.---- ANON  (Ellen G. White. 1882)
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Sep 03, 2010 - 2:58PM #5
Anesis

God's Laws were designed to produce the only right relationships between  Mankind and GOD on the one hand and ones neighbor on the other.  However, the majority of mankind (as Satan before) has thought to change  God's Laws to suit the thinking of man's faulty beliefs.(which bring  chaos.)  (2Tim.3:13) 

Sincerely, with all due respect, God's laws in the OT maybe have been for producing the only right relationship between man and God. However, Jesus is now the only way of reconciliation with the Father. It is only through him that we can have a right relationship with God. He is the only way to the Father. John 14:6

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Sep 04, 2010 - 9:55AM #6
miami-ted

Hi guys,

I would respectfully ask that when posting replies we don't use parenthetical references to the Scriptures unless it is what the Scriptures say.  Sincerly wrote:  However, the majority of mankind (as Satan before) has thought to change  God's Laws to suit the thinking of man's faulty beliefs.(which bring  chaos.)  (2Tim.3:13) 

My copy of the Scriptures (NIV) in 2 Tim. 3:13 says:  while evil men and impostors will go from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived.

I'm sorry, but I don't find anything in that passage that fully reflects the thoughts Sincerly has posted and referenced to that passage.  Parenthetical reference, to me, generally means that what has been posted is what the Scriptures themselves say.  If we just want to expand on the possible meaning of a particular Scripture then I would be more comfortable if we gave the exact Scriptural wording of whatever translation we are using followed by the parenthetical reference and then write out our personal thoughts and opinions of what that particular Scripture means.

The problem being that those who are unused to researching the Scriptures or are not particularly familiar with the Scriptures might be inclined to believe that what precedes the parenthetical reference as the very word of God.  This is akin to many who just listen to teachers and preachers or their next door neighbor about what they think God is like and basing their knowledge of God on an incomplete and possibly incorrect understanding of God's word.

Just my thoughts and may God bless each and every one of you.  Enjoy the holiday, for those who observe it.

In Christ, Ted.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Sep 09, 2010 - 1:10PM #7
Bob10

Matt. 7 and Luke 13 says the majority of Jesus' followers are on the wide path of destruction. Jesus calls these people "lawless" -- they practice "iniquity", "lawlessness". They follow what Peter calls the twisted and wrested lawless interpretation of Paul's letters (2 Peter 3: 15-17). Instead, we are to grow and increase in "THE KNOWLEDGE OF THE LORD and Savior Jesus Christ" (2 Peter 3:18, Col 1:10, 2 Peter 2:20) -- see also 2Chronicles 30:22.

"The many", the majority, the mainstream acknowledge Jesus as their LORD (Matt. 7:22-23) --- "Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in THY NAME, and in THY NAME have cast out demons, and in THY NAME done many wonderful works.  Then I [Jesus] profess unto them, I  [JESUS] never knew you: depart form me, you who work iniquity [lawlessness]."

Paul kept "the ways of the LORD" (Rom. 11:33) like David (2 Sam. 22:22). We, too, are not suppose to error and depart from "the ways of the Lord" (Heb. 3:10-12 and Acts 13:10, Rev. 15:3).

God Bless!

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Sep 09, 2010 - 3:41PM #8
miami-ted

Hi Bob,

I am in complete agreement with you.

God bless you.

In Christ, Ted.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Sep 10, 2010 - 12:41AM #9
birwin4

Sep 9, 2010 -- 1:10PM, Bob10 wrote:

Matt. 7 and Luke 13 says the majority of Jesus' followers are on the wide path of destruction. Jesus calls these people "lawless" -- they practice "iniquity", "lawlessness". They follow what Peter calls the twisted and wrested lawless interpretation of Paul's letters (2 Peter 3: 15-17). Instead, we are to grow and increase in "THE KNOWLEDGE OF THE LORD and Savior Jesus Christ" (2 Peter 3:18, Col 1:10, 2 Peter 2:20) -- see also 2Chronicles 30:22.

"The many", the majority, the mainstream acknowledge Jesus as their LORD (Matt. 7:22-23) --- "Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in THY NAME, and in THY NAME have cast out demons, and in THY NAME done many wonderful works.  Then I [Jesus] profess unto them, I  [JESUS] never knew you: depart form me, you who work iniquity [lawlessness]."

Paul kept "the ways of the LORD" (Rom. 11:33) like David (2 Sam. 22:22). We, too, are not suppose to error and depart from "the ways of the Lord" (Heb. 3:10-12 and Acts 13:10, Rev. 15:3).

God Bless!

I read your two Biblical references but cannot find any sense that it was the followers of Jesus who were missing the mark. I imagine you are having a go at mainstream Churches and I wonder if that is what Jesus would do or want us to do in His name. Bob are you an SDA and does the '10' stand for the decalogue?

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Sep 10, 2010 - 8:03AM #10
miami-ted

Hi Birwin,

Just a note to clear up some possible misunderstanding.  In Matthew 7 Jesus tells us how their are two roads and that many are on the broad road and few on the narrow.  Then just a few e down

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook