4 years ago  ::  Mar 25, 2010 - 10:31PM #1
Brobrooz1

Any CS Lewis fans here?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2010 - 7:50PM #2
kurnell

I am a great admirer of C.S.Lewis. However, I find his popularity amongst Evangelicals strange, as Lewis was far from being Evangelical in Churchmanship..

Pax

Jeffrey

Treasure your experience of God,however it comes to you.Remember that Christianity is not a notion but a way.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2010 - 7:37AM #3
tawonda

I think that's called cognitive dissonance.;-) I think if some of Lewis' fan base actually had the opportunity to worship with him in his tradition, or got an invite for cigars and whisky in his study, they would freak out.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2010 - 11:38AM #4
steve123

CS who....?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2010 - 5:58PM #5
Brobrooz1

Mar 26, 2010 -- 7:50PM, kurnell wrote:

I am a great admirer of C.S.Lewis. However, I find his popularity amongst Evangelicals strange, as Lewis was far from being Evangelical in Churchmanship..

Pax

Jeffrey

Since I have "a foot in both camps", I found his insights in "Mere Christianity" particularly insightful and challanging... suprisingly more evangelicalical than I expected.  Not sure what you mean 'far from being Rvangelical in Churchmanship'... because he was an Anglican...or??

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2010 - 6:01PM #6
Brobrooz1

Mar 27, 2010 -- 7:37AM, tawonda wrote:

I think that's called cognitive dissonance.;-) I think if some of Lewis' fan base actually had the opportunity to worship with him in his tradition, or got an invite for cigars and whisky in his study, they would freak out.

Agreed.  Maybe they might learn something, too!  It certianly has made some evangelicals think about what is improtant...  some reject him simply because he enjoyed a good cigar, or a drink at his favorite pub with friends...  Wasn't Jesus rejected for the same kind of thing??  Even the ultra-fundamentalist Bob Jones I accepted Lewis' Christianity...

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2010 - 1:05AM #7
kurnell

CS Lewis was an Anglican, of the mild catholic persuasion.

Pax

Jeffrey

Treasure your experience of God,however it comes to you.Remember that Christianity is not a notion but a way.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2010 - 11:32PM #8
birwin4

C S Lewis never claimed to be either 'high' or 'low' Anglican. This is why he appeals to all sorts of Christians. I am a great fan because through his writings I came to faith in Christ.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook