Page 2 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Can a Christrian who converted to Judaism repent and come back to Christianity?
5 years ago  ::  Mar 05, 2010 - 3:03PM #11
KatherineOrthodixie

Of course you can!

Remember the story of the prodigal son?

"While he was some distance down the road, his father saw him and was moved to tears. He ran to him and hugged him and kissed him and kissed him.
            "The boy said, 'Dad, I've sinned against God and you, and I'm not fit to he your son any more–’ But the father said to his servants, 'You all run quick and get the best suit you can find and put it on him. Get his family ring for his hand and some dress shoes for his feet. Then I want you to bring that stall-fed steer and butcher it, and let's all eat and whoop it up, because this son of mine was given up for dead, and he's still alive; he was lost and is now found.' And they began to whoop it up."

Cotton Patch Gospel

“The Law of the Church is to give oneself to what is given not to seek one’s own.” Fr. Alexander Schmemann
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 06, 2010 - 11:00PM #12
SeraphimR

I once attended a baptisim in which the Priest announced "You are marked as Christ's forever."

You may have turned your back on Christ, but He never turned His back on you, and you are still His.  Forever.

When you return to the Church, there will be rejoicing in Heaven.

---------------------------

Which denominations would have problems with this?

People with a mission to save the earth want the earth to seem worse than it is so their mission will look more important.

P.J. O'Rourke
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 07, 2010 - 5:39PM #13
miami-ted

Hi again Dibble,

One thing I know about God is that through his Son He has provided forgiveness and mercy for anything we can do.  God knows your heart.  If your desire is sincere and you go before his throne in repentance and seeking forgiveness you will receive it.  God knows your heart.

Trust me, my friend, there are times that I have turned away, not through outright verbal renunciation of the Lord, but through sin.  I have found that when I get down on my knees and cry out to him and just sincerely pour out my heart to him he is faithful and just to forgive me my sin. 

Listen friend, what you have done is no different.  You have renounced faith in God's one and only Son and that is a sin before God, but for those who love him, his mercy endures forever.

I hope to hear from you again soon.

God bless you.

In Christ, Ted.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 07, 2010 - 9:37PM #14
Beautiful_Dreamer

SR, I can answer your question (as to what denoms would mind someone leaving and coming back), but I think I'll start another thread on Christian to Christian Debate about this, it should be an interesting discussion but I don't want to derail this support thread. 

More where that came from...

Writing I get paid to do

Beliefnet Community Host - Christian Faith and Life, Christian to Christian Debate
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 08, 2010 - 8:55AM #15
smcisaac

KO mentions the parable of the Prodigal Son.  Another is the Lost Sheep, at Luke 15:1-6:

Now all the tax collectors and sinners were coming near to listen to him. And the Pharisees and the scribes were grumbling and saying, “This fellow welcomes sinners and eats with them.” So he told them this parable: “Which one of you, having a hundred sheep and losing one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the wilderness and go after the one that is lost until he finds it? When he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders and rejoices. And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and neighbors, saying to them, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep that was lost.’

Even if there may be Christian churches that reject you (and I would expect that most would not), He who is the Father of the Prodigal and the Good Shepherd will always take you back in.  Those few Christians who would not likewise welcome you back into the fold are errant sheep themselves, even if they aren't aware of it.  He will gather them back eventually too.

To look at the situation from another angle, the house of Christianity is built upon a Jewish foundation.  It is difficult to be a mature Christian without a working understanding of Judaism.  I would say that in your detour into Judaism you were not so much forfeiting your relationship with Jesus (since obviously you still yearn for him) as you were building up your relationship with the Father and/or Holy Spirit.

"Truth did not come into the world naked, but it came in types and images. The world will not receive truth in any other way."  Gospel of Philip, Logion 72

"Christ will regenerate all things; through Him all things will be purged, and return into eternal life. And when the Son shall deliver up the kingdom to the Father, all things will be God; that is, all things will still exist, but God will exist in them, and they will be full of Him." Fabius Manus Victorinus, c. 350 AD
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2010 - 9:22PM #16
Brobrooz1

Mar 4, 2010 -- 9:33PM, Dibble wrote:

Can a Christian who converted to Judaism repent and come back to Christianity?

Absolutely! I John 1:9 applies to every situation! Also the conversion/re-conversion would be a learning experience to share.

I don't know of any denpmination or church that would not accept the person back, some may require some sort of reorientation, even re-baptism or reconfirmation...

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2010 - 9:40PM #17
Brobrooz1

Mar 4, 2010 -- 10:10PM, Ironhold wrote:

It'd depend on the denomination you're shooting for, but generally speaking I'd say that it's a good possibility.

Iron, am curious-  How would the LDS church handle this?  You say 'its a good possibility?'

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 14, 2010 - 1:07PM #18
Iwantamotto

I personally don't see a need to repent.  It's not like you switched gods, unless you were from the flavor of Christianity that holds the Son more important than His Dad.  If it really bothers you, explore your needs when you left the first religion, then Judaism.  Apparently you weren't feeling all that great about it or you wouldn't have left.  Understand, as well, that religion isn't the same thing as The Divine.  The Divine is an ever-present reality, while a religion is merely our thoughts about it.

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 14, 2010 - 2:21PM #19
Hatman

Mar 14, 2010 -- 1:07PM, Iwantamotto wrote:

I personally don't see a need to repent.

From Dibble's post 8:

"When I converted, I renounced all ties to other religions..."

Besides, for one who claims Christ to also claim perfection---i.e. no need of repentance for any thought, word, or deed henceforth---is quite the opposite of the humility that i've seen to be characteristic of Saints in Christ.

Warmest regards-

Hatman

"History records that the moneychangers have used every form of abuse, deceit, intrigue, and violent means possible to maintain their control over governments by controlling money and it's issuance."
-- James Madison(1751-1836), Father of the Constitution for the USA, 4th US President
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 15, 2010 - 2:07PM #20
Brobrooz1

Mar 14, 2010 -- 1:07PM, Iwantamotto wrote:

I personally don't see a need to repent.  It's not like you switched gods, unless you were from the flavor of Christianity that holds the Son more important than His Dad.  If it really bothers you, explore your needs when you left the first religion, then Judaism.  Apparently you weren't feeling all that great about it or you wouldn't have left.  Understand, as well, that religion isn't the same thing as The Divine.  The Divine is an ever-present reality, while a religion is merely our thoughts about it.

At the risk of this becomming a debate-I repectfully disagree. imho-we're on dangerous ground to 'talk someone out of' repentance...if they feel the need to do so. I John 1:8 states if we say we have no sin, we decieve ourselves...

imho-it is as though Debbie switch gods.  In basic (traditional) Christianity, Jesus is not more important than his dad (BTW-I don't know of any 'flavor' or Christianity that teaches this), but it does teach that Jesus is God (John1, The Apostle's & Nicene creeds), one with the Father & Holy Spirit in Trinity. Judiasm rejects this-in effect Debbie rejected this when converting, stating she rejected other religions.She traded Christ as Savior,for Christ as minor prophet (at best). Because 'The Divine is an ever-present reality', does that mean that God is whatever concept, por lack there of we want Him to be.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook