Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Switch to Forum Live View Can a Christrian who converted to Judaism repent and come back to Christianity?
4 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2010 - 11:10PM #41
CalledOut

Are you saying repent from Judaism?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 03, 2010 - 1:00PM #42
Weepingangelofthetrees

Mar 4, 2010 -- 9:33PM, Dibble wrote:

Can a Christian who converted to Judaism repent and come back to Christianity?

I would make the observation that one has to first identify what they believe the god of their faith (Judaism or Christianity) means to them. Does one accept that god is Omniscient (all knowing)?! Omnipresent (everywhere always) and Omnipotent (all power)!?

If so and one also accepts the philosophy imparted by Monotheism (one god) then I would say it is a matter of personal conscience. What philosophy (Judaism or Christianity) makes you feel closer to god. The Bible says the kingdom of god is within. You are the living temple of creation as proof of a higher powerful creator by whatever name mortal consciousness would give it, you embody proof of something more than mortal making you possible.

Thus are not a seeker of god but rather living proof creative power exists by any name at all.If you find peace in Judaism stay your place. If you feel drawn back to the fold of the Christ venture forth and embrace that. But know the old wisdom remains true no matter what journey you undertake. If what you seek you do not find within you shall never find it without.

Live The Peace,

A.

"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family."
Stephen Colbert
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 04, 2010 - 10:49PM #43
Beautiful_Dreamer

As I might have said before, there's nothing to 'repent' from IMO.  Jesus never left you.  But as the previous poster said, go where your heart leads you. I'm not normally one to base faith on feelings but I'd say go where you feel the spirit of God leading you most strongly.

More where that came from...

Writing I get paid to do

Beliefnet Community Host - Christian Faith and Life, Christian to Christian Debate
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2010 - 12:18AM #44
LeahOne

As a respectful guest, I'd like to straighten out one little detail with 'Brobooz', who posted:

"imho-it is as though Debbie switch gods.  In basic (traditional) Christianity, Jesus is not more important than his dad (BTW-I don't know of any 'flavor' or Christianity that teaches this), but it does teach that Jesus is God (John1, The Apostle's & Nicene creeds), one with the Father & Holy Spirit in Trinity. Judiasm rejects this-in effect Debbie rejected this when converting, stating she rejected other religions.She traded Christ as Savior,for Christ as minor prophet (at best)."

The bolded words are inaccurate and misrepresent Judaism.  Judaism emphatically does not 'reject'  the Christian concept of Jesus.  It simply does not 'see' it at all.  That may seem like a 'technicality' to others - but Judaism existed for about 1500 years before Jesus, and had codified its Covenant with YHVH made at Sinai long since.   So, it's illogical to portray the religion of Moses as 'rejecting' a concept which didn't exist  for 1500 years.

Let me be quite clear about this:  Jesus simply does not exist in Judaism proper.  Yes, I understand that Christians identify Jesus as 'the Jewish Messiah' - but along the way, the meaning of 'Messiah' was changed from the Jewish usage.  Again, I don't see this as any 'rejection' but simply a function of the fact that Judaism and Christianity are two separate and different paradigms/religions.

I'm not here to debate Christian theology, but to correct inaccuracies about Jewish theology.  For those who don't know me, I'm Jewish.  And married to a man who has 50+ of the most wonderful relatives who are assorted different Christians.

Now - if anyone wonders what the heck we Jews *do* believe and how we think our faith works - you're more than welcome to go to DJ and ASK about such things. 

An aside to the folks who've talked about angels rejoicing....  In Judaism we have something called a 'midrash' which is a commentary usually on a specific Bible passage.  This midrash is very brief:  "When the son of ten generations of rabbis becomes a rabbi, the angels smile.  When the son of ten generations of thieves becomes an honest man,  the angels dance."

I am confused about the idea of 'repenting' of choosing to stand with me at Sinai - but that's fine!  I don't need to understand, and I trust YHVH to guide you, Dibble, to where your soul will be nourished best. 

Dibble, I wish you well : ))

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2010 - 7:11AM #45
tawonda

LeahOne: Just for the record, this Christian finds the use of the word "repent" odd and unfortunate in this context.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2010 - 6:18PM #46
LeahOne

Thanks, Tawonda : ))  This Jew understands that the concept of 'denying Jesus' is a very emotionally-charged issue for any Christian.....

And I suppose it's not reasonable to expect someone else to speak from an 'objective' POV when so much emotion is involved.  

I admit to a great deal of curiousity about the whole convert and revert situation....but it's not my place to ask, and I won't because it seems that it's been painful for Dibble.  I dunno, maybe I hope I could 'fix' something for her, if she'd been treated poorly by other Jews?

I know it's NOT me hoping I could 'return' her to Judaism.....

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 09, 2010 - 9:49AM #47
Iwantamotto

I didn't agree with the posters who said I was wrong about not needing to repent.  I'm only just now replying to it because technically I just read it, LOL.  Here's my issue ... no, there's nothing to repent.  It isn't about some vain idea of being sinless ... it's recognizing there was no sin.  Some flavors of Christianity prefer to use the logic of Job's friends, where every little thing is about sin and rebellion.  I call BS.  Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.  You can't be faulted for leaving God when you didn't.  Now, I'm not Trinitarian, but here's my thought:  if Jesus is God, then it doesn't matter if you switch from one Abrahamic religion to another and if He isn't ... well, you should be worshipping God anyway.  Jesus told His apostles that anyone who wasn't against Him was for Him.  Naturally, the other Abrahamic religions disagree about what Jesus is ... but all are owned by Yahweh, Inc ... so who cares?

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 09, 2010 - 10:06AM #48
KatherineOrthodixie

As a lone dissenting voice, I do think that repentance is not a bad thing, considering the way the word repentance is used in the NT.  It can mean literally 'to perceive afterwards' (meta, 'after,' implying 'change,' noeo, 'to perceive;' nous, 'the mind, the seat of moral reflection'), or the noun metanoia: 'afterthought, change of mind,' implying a change of direction.

“The Law of the Church is to give oneself to what is given not to seek one’s own.” Fr. Alexander Schmemann
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 04, 2010 - 10:52AM #49
steve123

Ko- a breath of fresh air.  Of course repentance is necessary.  Repentance from sin should be a common occurance in the life of a Christ-Follower.  If you denied Christ, should you not repent (turn away from the sin and turn towards God)?  Don't we all deny him daily with our actions or lack of action?  Repentance should happen with us daily.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook