Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Can a Christrian who converted to Judaism repent and come back to Christianity?
4 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2010 - 9:33PM #1
Dibble

Can a Christian who converted to Judaism repent and come back to Christianity?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2010 - 10:10PM #2
Ironhold

It'd depend on the denomination you're shooting for, but generally speaking I'd say that it's a good possibility.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2010 - 11:16PM #3
li47

I can't think of any reason why they couldn't join (or rejoin) a Christian church.

I'm curious about your use of the word "repent" though. What would they be "repenting"?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 05, 2010 - 1:15AM #4
Hatman

Mar 4, 2010 -- 9:33PM, Dibble wrote:

Can a Christian who converted to Judaism repent and come back to Christianity?

Yes.

But why?  Wouldn't one who is TRULY repentant(that is, willing to change their mind) prefer to return to Christ instead of christianity?

The difference between them is like the difference between a stone-ground, whole-grain loaf and a bleached-flour slice of Wonder Bread.

AFAIK, the only requirements for true repentance are a genuinely contrite heart and the fact that you're still alive.

Warmest regards-

Hatman

"History records that the moneychangers have used every form of abuse, deceit, intrigue, and violent means possible to maintain their control over governments by controlling money and it's issuance."
-- James Madison(1751-1836), Father of the Constitution for the USA, 4th US President
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 05, 2010 - 7:08AM #5
miami-ted

Hello Dibble,

You know, God knows a man's heart.  You appear to have initially established your faith through faith in the Lord Jesus.  When you 'converted' to Judaism did you renounce Jesus as Lord?

God blees you.

In Christ, Ted.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 05, 2010 - 8:33AM #6
tawonda

Dibble: I can't imagine why any Christian church wouldn't accept you. Is there a reason why you think they would?

I'm also a little troubled by your use of a "loaded" word like repent to describe returning to the Christian faith. If you simply mean "turning around," which is the literal definition of repent, then I can dig that -- I went through several years of flirtation with neopaganism, then general nonreligiosity, before I returned to the Christian faith, so I've been in a place similar to yours.  But Judaism is a beautiful faith, and part of our spiritual DNA as Christians. I especially appreciate the way that our Jewish friends engage with Scripture, the way they invoke the sacred in the activities of daily life and the way in which they've maintained their spirituality through Diaspora and persecution. I'll suggest to you that your experience with Judaism will inform your Christian faith in a good, positive way. I know that my own very limited experiences with the Jewish way of reading Torah/the Prophets/the Writings has only enhanced my own understanding of the OT. I hope you can frame your experience in a similarly positive way, even as you return to the Christian faith.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 05, 2010 - 10:22AM #7
Dibble

Tawonda:

Thank you for your words of encouragement.

When I converted to Judaism I renounced all ties to other religions (no specific religion was mentioned, just other religions). An act of disobedience that resulted in me denying the Lord, and I now regret it with all my heart.

Yes, the Hebrew roots of Christianity run deep and I have a deep love for the Jewish people but I need Jesus.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 05, 2010 - 10:38AM #8
Dibble

Mar 5, 2010 -- 7:08AM, miami-ted wrote:

Hello Dibble,

You know, God knows a man's heart.  You appear to have initially established your faith through faith in the Lord Jesus.  When you 'converted' to Judaism did you renounce Jesus as Lord?

God blees you.

In Christ, Ted.

Ted,

When I converted, I renounced all ties to other religions (no specific religion was mentioned) so, yes, I denied the Lord. I now regret this decision with all my heart and want only to return to Jesus.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 05, 2010 - 10:47AM #9
tawonda

I understand. And also understand that there's nothing preventing you from returning to Christianity or to a Christian congregation.

In early Christian history, during the Roman persecutions, many people in the Christian community lapsed to one degree or the other, for one reason or the other, then had a change of heart and returned. Some people in the Christian community -- people who were risking life and limb for their unwavering faith and rejection of the cult of the Emperor -- were really angry and impatient with these returnees. But if you read about the great saints of Christianity at that time, they counseled compassion and forgiveness and reconciliation.

And, as far as that goes -- how many times did the disciples themselves "not get it"? Did Jesus ever "fire" an Apostle? -- even Peter? Even Judas? No.

Were you once in an authoritarian, judgmental church? I ask because you seem afraid of the reaction you'll get in the faith community when you return, or that you've done something unforgiveable. I'm not really getting the "why" of your fear.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 05, 2010 - 2:08PM #10
Beautiful_Dreamer

I don't see why you couldn't come back to Christianity. I know a lot of churches teach that once you go away from Christianity that's it, you're away and doomed, but IMO rejecting other religions and rejecting Jesus are two different things and I don't see why Jesus wouldn't welcome you back. That's assuming you were ever truly separated from Him to begin with...If any church gives you a 'hard time' about having converted to Judaism before, please run, don't walk, because they're more than likely acting out of their own need to feel better than someone else and not showing you the love a church should, and that Jesus would.

If you think about it, it could be desirable for a Christian to go and 'try' other faiths and ways of life and belief because if the Christian decided to come back to Christianity, their conviction and beliefs would be all the stronger from having been 'tested'.  Everyone goes through a period where we examine things and decide where to go from there, and there's nothing wrong with this.

More where that came from...

Writing I get paid to do

Beliefnet Community Host - Christian Faith and Life, Christian to Christian Debate
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook