Post Reply
Page 1 of 24  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 24 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Can One Tree Bear Twelve Kinds of Fruit?
4 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2010 - 2:10PM #1
voice-crying
Posts: 7,222

No tree can naturally (by nature) bear more than one kind of fruit.


www.ehow.com/how_5204072_grow-tree-two-k...


So, why will this tree...the tree of life (Revelation 22:2) bear twelve different kinds of fruit throughout eternity for the earth dwellers in the New Jerusalem (that will come down out of heaven)? 


The above question is for those who believe that those who will one day inherit the earth are not the Church...for those who believe that the Church is spiritual and separate from the rest of the people...the people being those...both the living and the dead who will one day accept Jesus once He returns to this world (but, not before). 


Remember when Adam and his wife were thrown out of the Garden so that they could not eat from the tree of life and live forever?  We Christians know that we have not eaten from it and yet we are promised salvation already.


What say you!

"Death and life [are] in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof."Proverbs 18:21
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2010 - 2:50PM #2
voice-crying
Posts: 7,222

Imagine, one tree producing let's say...


apples, apricots, cherrys, citrus, fig, lemon, orange...ect.

"Death and life [are] in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof."Proverbs 18:21
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2010 - 4:21PM #3
Verdugo
Posts: 5,258

One word: metaphor.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2010 - 4:58PM #4
voice-crying
Posts: 7,222

Mar 3, 2010 -- 4:21PM, Verdugo wrote:


One word: metaphor.




"A metaphor is an analogy between two objects or ideas, conveyed by the use of a word instead of another."


 


This was my question: 
So, why will this tree...the tree of life (Revelation 22:2) bear twelve different kinds of fruit throughout eternity for the earth dwellers in the New Jerusalem (that will come down out of heaven)? 


IMO, we have a habit of throwing out terms like...metaphor whenever we can't answer a question.  I don't know the answer, but, I know that it is not...an example of nothing.  In Revelation we are given the exact measurements of the city [New Jerusalem], we know that if there is a tree bearing twelve kinds of fruit...that that is an indication that the people actually eat...IMO, that would indicate that they are humans not like use who will be in our glorified (heavenly) bodies. 


Can you tell me (IYO) what you mean by "metaphor" when responding to my question?

"Death and life [are] in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof."Proverbs 18:21
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2010 - 5:54PM #5
tawonda
Posts: 4,367

Voice-Crying: Would that you would parse the Beatitudes with the same diligence that you apply to all the random phrases that you periodically pull out of their contexts and analyze to death here.


You know how someone in an office can look really, really busy carrying papers back and forth, thoughtfully pounding away on the computer, monopolizing the copier, etc., but really not be doing any real work? That's what "analyzing" Scripture word for word without any contextual understanding is like. 


BTW: Metaphor means that the tree in question isn't a real, physical tree in the same way that it isn't a real, physical city..something any serious scholar of Revelation would tell you. (And if you start quoting Doctor Vernon McGee, I will officially throw up in my mouth.)

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2010 - 6:07PM #6
Xristocharis
Posts: 5,051

Mar 3, 2010 -- 4:58PM, voice-crying wrote:


Mar 3, 2010 -- 4:21PM, Verdugo wrote:


One word: metaphor.




"A metaphor is an analogy between two objects or ideas, conveyed by the use of a word instead of another."


 


This was my question: 
So, why will this tree...the tree of life (Revelation 22:2) bear twelve different kinds of fruit throughout eternity for the earth dwellers in the New Jerusalem (that will come down out of heaven)? 


IMO, we have a habit of throwing out terms like...metaphor whenever we can't answer a question.  I don't know the answer, but, I know that it is not...an example of nothing.  In Revelation we are given the exact measurements of the city [New Jerusalem], we know that if there is a tree bearing twelve kinds of fruit...that that is an indication that the people actually eat...IMO, that would indicate that they are humans not like use who will be in our glorified (heavenly) bodies. 


Can you tell me (IYO) what you mean by "metaphor" when responding to my question?




And each of those details are part of the metaphor.


Let the text just say what it's saying.


-Jon

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist." - Dom Hélder Câmara
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2010 - 6:15PM #7
Jenandew7
Posts: 12,813

Mar 3, 2010 -- 2:10PM, voice-crying wrote:


No tree can naturally (by nature) bear more than one kind of fruit.


www.ehow.com/how_5204072_grow-tree-two-k...


So, why will this tree...the tree of life (Revelation 22:2) bear twelve different kinds of fruit throughout eternity for the earth dwellers in the New Jerusalem (that will come down out of heaven)? 


The above question is for those who believe that those who will one day inherit the earth are not the Church...for those who believe that the Church is spiritual and separate from the rest of the people...the people being those...both the living and the dead who will one day accept Jesus once He returns to this world (but, not before). 


Remember when Adam and his wife were thrown out of the Garden so that they could not eat from the tree of life and live forever?  We Christians know that we have not eaten from it and yet we are promised salvation already.


What say you!




Christ is the tree of life.


Beyond that, it is a mystical symbol of the Jewish Kabala . . .

If you pour yourself out for the hungry and satisfy the desire of the afflicted, then shall your light rise in the darkness and your gloom be as the noonday. --Isaiah 58:10
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2010 - 6:21PM #8
Jenandew7
Posts: 12,813

Here is more on the Tree of Life:  Wiki Kabbalah tree of life


The Jews didn't even consider the story of Adam and Eve as literal--although it is a very important myth. 


 

If you pour yourself out for the hungry and satisfy the desire of the afflicted, then shall your light rise in the darkness and your gloom be as the noonday. --Isaiah 58:10
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2010 - 6:34PM #9
Verdugo
Posts: 5,258

Mar 3, 2010 -- 4:58PM, voice-crying wrote:


Mar 3, 2010 -- 4:21PM, Verdugo wrote:


One word: metaphor.




"A metaphor is an analogy between two objects or ideas, conveyed by the use of a word instead of another."


 


This was my question: 
So, why will this tree...the tree of life (Revelation 22:2) bear twelve different kinds of fruit throughout eternity for the earth dwellers in the New Jerusalem (that will come down out of heaven)? 


IMO, we have a habit of throwing out terms like...metaphor whenever we can't answer a question.  I don't know the answer, but, I know that it is not...an example of nothing.  In Revelation we are given the exact measurements of the city [New Jerusalem], we know that if there is a tree bearing twelve kinds of fruit...that that is an indication that the people actually eat...IMO, that would indicate that they are humans not like use who will be in our glorified (heavenly) bodies. 


Can you tell me (IYO) what you mean by "metaphor" when responding to my question?




 


I'm not suggesting it is an example of nothing.  I'm suggesting it's a metaphor.  A metaphor isn't "nothing", nor is is a convenient dodge when we don't have an answer.  A metaphor is a way of understanding figurative language.


 


Your question itself points to the fact that it is a metaphor.  Real trees don't bear 12 different kinds of fruit.  In fact, elsewhere in the Bible Jesus uses that fact to illustrate a different point.  So the fact that it doesn't exactly correspond to reality points us to the fact that it is a metaphor.  Same thing in the Psalms when it calls God "my rock".  We know that God is not an inanimate object, and we know that rocks are not living deities who love and save and redeem.   But we don't have a problem with that because we know that "rock" is a metaphor here.  


 


All metaphors break down at some point.  They are simply figurative language used to draw a correlation between two different realities in one particular way-- but not every way.  The metaphor of "rock" for God works because of some particular ways that God is like a rock-- steady, trustworthy, a firm foundation.  But the metaphor breaks down because there are some obvious ways that God is NOT like a rock.  Same is true with the "tree".


 


Note that "metaphor" does not mean "not true".  Many metaphors, like the Psalmists' metaphor of God as rock, are profoundly, deeply, powerfully true.  Because I believe in the truth and authority of Scripture, I believe this to be the case with all of the (many) metaphors in the Bible.


 


So the short answer on your question is: "you're over-thinking it"

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2010 - 9:03PM #10
voice-crying
Posts: 7,222

Mar 3, 2010 -- 6:07PM, Xristocharis wrote:


And each of those details are part of the metaphor.


Let the text just say what it's saying.


-Jon




This is what the text says:  "In the midst of the street of it and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations."  Revelation 22:2


I don't know why A tree is producing 12 different kinds of fruit, but, what I do know is that the tree is literal and I know that the tree is not Jesus.  Look at verses 1 and 2.


The first verse says:  "And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb."  (Rev 22:1)


If a person says...this or that is a metaphor you need to follow that statement with an explanation.  This book (Revelation) reveals end time prophecy [things that will happen in the future]; it is not a secret.  There are many things that I don't understand and this is just one of them.

"Death and life [are] in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof."Proverbs 18:21
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 24  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 24 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook