4 years ago  ::  Feb 13, 2010 - 10:31AM #1
Leight

... the other day I exited a rather drab former elementary school building thats mostly empty. The building now housed a failing director of community events. Other directors have come and gone quickly. The institution has a prestigious name. It's board meets monthly . I realized that I could not work there without a "calling", a "vision.

I was called to where I now work to ( in a dream) , assist a nurse, ... I suppose I am a nurses assistant... callings expand our movements and limit them..

whats your calling?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 13, 2010 - 3:50PM #2
sincerly

Feb 13, 2010 -- 10:31AM, Leight wrote:

I was called to where I now work to ( in a dream) , assist a nurse, ... I suppose I am a nurses assistant... callings expand our movements and limit them..

whats your calling?

Primarily, for many years, "Go ye---and teach all nations----to observe all the things whatsoever I have commanded you."      My "secular occupation" was just an opportunity to accomplish the primary-------now, with retirement, I devote my time to the "Primary calling".

Peace,   Sincerly.      As long as sin is practiced, one will search for a means to validate the continuing therein. ANON

The greatest want of the world is the want of men--men who will not be bought or sold, men who in their inmost souls are true and honest, men who do not fear to call sin by its right name, men whose conscience is as true to duty as the needle to the pole, men who will stand for the right though the heavens fall.---- ANON  (Ellen G. White. 1882)
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 13, 2010 - 8:06PM #3
Anesis

I think Mother Teresa nailed it. She said, "Many people mistake our work for our vocation. Our vocation is the love of Jesus." That is our calling in Christ, that we love the Lord our God, and love our neighbour as ourselves.

Having identified my vocation, then, it has motivated my occupational pursuits. I had the job of my dreams. I loved being a care aide and was good at it. Sadly after my accident I was unable to return and never could quite settle into anything quite so satisfying till now. I will be graduating in December with a degree in social work. My original intent was to return to gerontology, but it's funny what school will do....I have developed new interests, and am considering community or policy development. No matter where the Lord leads my career, I know that wherever I am, I am still able to reflect his love, whether it is to individuals in gerontology or facing end of life, or if it's to a whole community of the social "underclass" - those who likely need the love of Christ the most.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 14, 2010 - 6:53PM #4
Leight

... amen... our vocation is merely that which Christ has chosen to reflect His love and His outreach to the world....   for instance, I had no idea, that I was dealing with a child of God some twenty five years ago, who with love and simplicity invited me to her touch football game  ( I never went thinking myself too soiled... but her invitation went deep into my heart, and was really Gods proposal to me....   to come to His house which is Our house now.... and to heal me of the "pain" of a broken heart... a pain that was litterally killing me)    she was not a mere sandwich maker...  she was even to herself, unknown, a fisher of men..    and others have since taught me much, but she taught me best, without words...  amen... and amen.. His love.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2010 - 1:30PM #5
sincerly

Feb 13, 2010 -- 8:06PM, Anesis wrote:

I know that wherever I am, I am still able to reflect his love, whether it is to individuals in gerontology or facing end of life, or if it's to a whole community of the social "underclass" - those who likely need the love of Christ the most.

It is apparent that the three of us ,so far, are agreed that our "calling" is in service to the Creator GOD.

Anesis, the thought came to me as as read your last sentence-----just who are the "underclass who need Christ the most"? Then the beatitudes came to mind along with Jesus (Matt.19:24) saying, " And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God."

Since those who are a "Child of the KING" are "Rich " in the things which matter( and the majority of persons who are "impoverished or lacking"(monetarily) are the ones who are the "Believers") And Christ died for ALL, paradoxically, it is the monetarily "rich" who are in need of that LOVE more than the financially impoverished.

However, I understand your commitment----service to the Lord no matter the position or "area". 

Peace,   Sincerly.      As long as sin is practiced, one will search for a means to validate the continuing therein. ANON

The greatest want of the world is the want of men--men who will not be bought or sold, men who in their inmost souls are true and honest, men who do not fear to call sin by its right name, men whose conscience is as true to duty as the needle to the pole, men who will stand for the right though the heavens fall.---- ANON  (Ellen G. White. 1882)
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2010 - 5:10PM #6
Anesis

Everybody loves people who are clean, middle-upper class, educated, able-bodied with no mental or emotional conditions that might be seen as deviant. But no one loves the stinky homeless person, the drooling person with severe developmental delays or abnormalities, or those who are hurting so much inside that they turn to some addictive substance or habit. No one reaches out to love those who are behaviourally deviant or those who speak other languages or those who are refugees, or those who perform menial jobs (how many of us know the names of the person who cleans the office bathroom, let anything about them?). It is those who are different from society who already feel unloved, rejected, inferior, insufficient, isolated and alone..... They need to know that there is a God who loves them deeply, who pursues them, who knows them intimately and who chooses them...That is why I am doing what I do...

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2010 - 7:58AM #7
Killsing@yahoo.com

I was a Christian since the age of 15. I "back-slid" horribly because I just stopped going to church and associating with other Christians. I was into music and was the vocalist in a heavy metal band and had all of the perks associated with being in a "well known" successful band for a few decades such as women and unfortunatly drugs. Drugs were so accepted and common in the 70's and 80's and a good part of the 90's as well. I was a dead man in a living body and didn't really see the wake of destruction I left wherever I went. I ruined relationships and much more. I would of course have short periods of recovery but none lasted very long. I burned so many bridges that after being arrested for posession in 2004 no one would bail me out! Once I did get out I found myself homeless. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever expect that. It was the best thing that ever happened to me!! I was forced to re-evaluate my entire life and realized that I was lost without God. I asked Him to come back into my life and free me from this horrible addiction. He did!! I started working in homeless shelters and found that I loved doing that, the rewards are immense! The money is not the best but for some reason I feel like a rich man, I know I will never be wealthy monetarily but I am happy as I have ever been with my life. I am now the Shelter Coordinator and Church Sexton for a large church in Washington,DC. If you would have told me that I would have this vocation 20 years ago I would have told you that you were insane. Who could have thunk it? I love my job and I especially love my life now. God has really come through for me. I only hope to come through for Him as well. I will be here trying to do just that.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2010 - 5:18PM #8
sincerly

Killsing, Thanks for the great witness.  Peter made the correct Admonition for all of us. "Make your calling and election sure".

Jesus spoke of some who were doing lip-service (Not doubting your sincerity) in Matt.7:21-23. He doesn't turn away the humble contrite heart who seeks to be fully in tune with the Father's Will.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2010 - 6:03PM #9
birwin4

Feb 16, 2010 -- 5:10PM, Anesis wrote:

Everybody loves people who are clean, middle-upper class, educated, able-bodied with no mental or emotional conditions that might be seen as deviant. But no one loves the stinky homeless person, the drooling person with severe developmental delays or abnormalities, or those who are hurting so much inside that they turn to some addictive substance or habit. No one reaches out to love those who are behaviourally deviant or those who speak other languages or those who are refugees, or those who perform menial jobs (how many of us know the names of the person who cleans the office bathroom, let anything about them?). It is those who are different from society who already feel unloved, rejected, inferior, insufficient, isolated and alone..... They need to know that there is a God who loves them deeply, who pursues them, who knows them intimately and who chooses them...That is why I am doing what I do...

You have hit the nail on the head. Abraham Lincoln once remarked 'God must love the poor , different and destitute because he made so many of them' Jesus began his beatitudes with the statement,'Happy are you poor for your type of people make up the kingdom of God'

As far as vocation is concerned, I agree that the prime motivation is that God by his grace has come down to be one of us and then did all that was necessary so that he could lift us out of our sin and forgive us.

No matter what we do we are to do it for God "whatever you do or say do it all for the glory of God'

One of my 'callings' was tp be a missionary and a Bible translator for 20 odd years. I strongly believe that this does not put me one iota above anyone else.

All vocations are for a Christian to be the best in that profession or trade to the glory of God

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook