Page 7 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Switch to Forum Live View Christianity is not a new religion
13 months ago  ::  Apr 18, 2013 - 12:19PM #61
Bob10

Humble yourselves …    - 1Peter 5:6, NIV

Good and upright is the LORD; therefore he instructs sinners in the way. He leads the humble in what is right …     - Psalm 25:8-9, NRSV

… do what is right in his sight, and give heed to his commandments (1Cor. 7:19/1Jn 2:3-4) and keep all his statutes (Acts 2:1/1Cor. 5:7-8) ….       - Exodus 15:26, NRSV

… The one who does what is right is righteous …        - 1Jn 3:7, NIV

JESUS: Happy are people who are humble, because they will inherit the earth.     – Matt. 5:5, Common English Bible (CEB)

The righteous will possess the land; they will live on it forever.      – Psalm 37:29, CEB

But the wicked will die, the LORD’s enemies will disappear— disappear like the beauty of a meadow—in smoke.        – Psalm 37:20, CEB

Quick Reply
Cancel
12 months ago  ::  May 28, 2013 - 10:31AM #62
Bob10

... the saints, those who keep the commandments of God ...                - Rev. 14:12, NRSV

PAUL:  Although I am the very least of all the saints ...              - Ephesians 3:8, NRSV

... obeying the commandments of God is everything.                                – 1Cor. 7:19, NRSV

Oh, fear the Lord, you His saints!
There is no want to those who fear Him.    - Psalm 34:9, NKJV

... fear the Lord your God, to keep all His statutes (Acts 2:1/1Cor. 5:7-8) and His commandments (1Cor. 7:19/1Jn 2:3-4) ...     -Deut. 6:2, NKJV

PAUL:  Therefore, knowing the fear of the Lord, we try to persuade others; ...      - 2Cor. 5:11, NRSV

... you Gentiles ... are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are citizens with the saints ...      - Eph. 2:11, 19, NRSV

for the training of the saints in the work of ministry ...                       – Eph. 4:12, HCSB

Quick Reply
Cancel
11 months ago  ::  Jun 15, 2013 - 10:12AM #63
Bob10

PAUL:    ... Abraham, the believer.   - Galatians 3:9, NASB

... obeyed Me and kept My charge, My commandments (1Cor. 7:19/1Jn 2:3-4), My statutes (Acts 2:1/1Cor. 5:7-8) and My laws.   - Genesis 26:5, NASB

PAUL:   ... what does a believer have in common with an unbeliever?   - 2Cor. 6:15, NIV

... Can light and darkness be friends?   - 2Cor. 6:14, NIRV

Do not be joined to unbelievers ...   - 2Cor. 6:14, NIRV

See to it, brothers and sisters, that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God.   - Hebrews 3:12, NIV

Quick Reply
Cancel
11 months ago  ::  Jun 26, 2013 - 3:29AM #64
timothysmiles

Oct 21, 2010 -- 12:37PM, BDboy wrote:

First of all, how do you "steal" a religious idea?

>>>>>>> 

This is an interesting question. Actually "Stealing" [ In my humble opinion] is not the right word.

But some people think, Christianity "adopted" or "accepted" some pagan European practices which were not part of what Jesus preached. Another group of people says that, modern Christians do not follow original teaching but they follow teaching of Paul. As Paul gave different explanation of what Jesus meant in his teachings.

According to history and scripture, Jesus came from Jewish tribe and he was a practicing Jew. Therefore, he honored saturday sabath and did not eat pork ( Banned in the OT by God). The Bible says......

Lev 11:7

And the swine, though he divide the hoof, and be clovenfooted, yet he cheweth not the cud; he is unclean to you.

Isaiah 66:17

They that sanctify themselves, and purify themselves in the gardens behind one tree in the midst, eating swine's flesh, and the abomination, and the mouse, shall be consumed together, saith the LORD.

Deuteronomy 14:8

And the swine, because it divideth the hoof, yet cheweth not the cud, it is unclean unto you: ye shall not eat of their flesh, nor touch their dead carcase.

Jesus was very serious about these laws. He said (In the Bible)

Till heaven and earth pass away

"Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot* or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled. Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven."

- Matthew 5:17-20

[ *A jot is the smallest letter in the Greek and Hebrew alphabets; a tittle is the small stroke in certain Hebrew letters. Thus, the whole of the law is the foundation of the new teaching.]

Now a days you will not find many Christians who reject pork following Jesus's instruction. Only groups of people I know that follows the such laws are Jews and Muslims. While Jews do not accept Jesus as a religious figure that leaves Muslims as the only non-Christian group who not only accepts Jesus as part of religion but honor laws of OT [ As a religious practice] by rejecting pork.

There are similar discussions/debates about using Sunday as day of worship/rest day. I knew some Christians ( A small sect within Christianity) who used Saturday as day of worship and did not work on that day.

Even the very concept of "Trinity" was "Formally" adopted/accepted into mainstream Christianity 325 years AFTER Jesus son of Mary left us.

There are few more areas like this where people ask if these are modern adoption or part of what Jesus taught us.

Following this discussion, I think this is what our fellow member meant. Hope this was some help.

I know there are other members who are far wiser than me in these matters. I am sure they can add more to this discussion.

May you have a blessed day.

There is one God who reveled himself to whom so ever feared God and wanted know the true God. Jesus has not started a new religion.

Muslims think that God won’t   come in a human form and God cannot be killed by human beings.

For them Jesus is a great profit but not crucified in a cross instead of him Judas was crucified.

Original Hindu Vedas   predicted   sacrifice for forgiveness of sin exactly like death and resurrection of Jesus

In those days very few could read some of them for selfish reasons preached false religion which persists till now.

Buddha searched for true reasons for human sufferings God gave him wisdom and he preached nonviolence and not to covet

1. God gave Ten Commandments through Moses
  2. God gave wisdom to Confucius who teaches similar to Ten Commandments
  3. God gave wisdom to Thiruvalluvar of south India who’s poems ware similar Jesus teachings

All men could not obey and fulfill all the commandments hence God the father sent his son as sacrifice for all our sins. By putting our faith in him and getting forgiveness of our sins by forgiving all sins against us unconditionally .This is the true spiritual life.

Jesus is the only Way, Truth and Life.

We have to attend church for worship and strengthen our faith.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 7 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook