Switch to Forum Live View Celtic Daily Prayer Book
5 years ago  ::  Jan 04, 2010 - 9:40AM #1
Fraserlover

I just purchased the Celtic Daily Prayer book from the Northumbria Community.  Does anyone else have this book and do you do the daily office of prayers and meditations?  I'm finding it hard to find an hour especially in the morning.

Julie

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 07, 2010 - 9:28AM #2
mfjfarrell

Dia anseo isteach!

God to all here!

Hey Julie,

I see no one else is responding so I'll start with my opinion!  The Northumbria Community is a wonderful work of God in our present day.  One of my favorite CC singers is part of that group.  I sincerely hope this group may be instrumental in bringing CC back to the fore of our society.

Remember I mentioned to you before that CC has many 'streams'?  We all start our from where the Lord called us and interpret things according to our own understandings of what is right.  As we progress, we move closer to what the Lord would have us learn, putting our pasts behind us.  In the UK, the Anglicans consider themselves to be decedents of the former CC churches which were started there.  However, as I'm sure you may know, they still came out of the Roman church, not the Celtic!

As I looked at my Prayer book from their community, I didn't see 'celtic' at all!  Its more anglican in its approach to prayers.  Still good!  but not Celtic!  To see what I mean, take a look at the Carmina Gadelica  (english.glendale.cc.ca.us/christ.html) andyou'll see its a totally different style of praying.  Celtic prayers come from the Celtic psyche, an understanding of living in harmony with mankind and nature.  Its the predominant aspect of Celtic prayers.

However, if this book is helping your walk, then by all means continue with it!  Personally, I prefer J. Philp Newell's works.  He has captured completely the idea of modern CelticAnglican prayersand you'll.

Slan,

Marty

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 12, 2010 - 3:25PM #3
mfjfarrell

Dia anseo isteach!

God to all here!

Hey Kevin,

Thanks for coming bye!

I'm glad you like the link to Carmichael's Carmina Gadelica.  As I posted originally, Newell does an excellent job with his prayer books as well.  I think you'd enjoy them as well!  I do and I use them everyday!  The names of the books are 'Celtic Benediction' and 'Sounds of the Eternal'.   Please feel free to join in with any topic!

Slan,

Marty

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2011 - 7:46PM #4
Natashae

Hi Julie,

I see this post is over a year old, so I don't know if you are still around, but here goes...I also have the Celtic Daily Prayer book by the Northumbria Community, but find it cumbersome and a bit confusing. It isn't laid out in an easily usable format...too much spread out over chapter upon chapter. Would have liked it better if it had each day's prayers laid out in one place. Don't know how you found it.

Edie

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook