Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View New Here/The Old Testament
5 years ago  ::  Feb 01, 2010 - 7:30AM #11
Cherryanne

Bob-Thanks so much for your reply! It was really helpful.

Sixth Step-Thank you! I do need to keep that in mind.

Merope-Thank you for your reply! I am finishing a book called "The Christian Agnostic" by Leslie Weatherhead at the moment and it's been very helpful. I'm looking forward to checking out the other books you mentioned next.

Unfortunately my Christian "friends" have been far from supportive and are only willing to "save my soul" if it's convenient for them. I really apprecaite everyone's comments here. It helps me remember I'm not alone.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 18, 2010 - 7:57PM #12
Bob_Bennett

Jesus said favorable things about the Prophets and Psalms.   Other than that, their isn't much of the O.T. that is helpful to Christians.

In my own study, I study only the alleged teachings by Jesus as found in the Gospels and in the Gospel of Thomas.  It needs to be remembered that Jesus came into the world to teach.  See John 18:37.   So, his teachings are the best part.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 18, 2010 - 11:28PM #13
Eliascomes

Feb 18, 2010 -- 7:57PM, Bob_Bennett wrote:

Jesus said favorable things about the Prophets and Psalms.   Other than that, their isn't much of the O.T. that is helpful to Christians.

In my own study, I study only the alleged teachings by Jesus as found in the Gospels and in the Gospel of Thomas.  It needs to be remembered that Jesus came into the world to teach.  See John 18:37.   So, his teachings are the best part.

The O.T. shown how far we came from and some of the tactics that darkness uses. And most of all the O.T. had shown us the importance of mercy, which Adam desired and we take for granted.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2010 - 12:50PM #14
Billmc

Cherryanne, I've been down a similar road, my friend. The more I read my Bible, the more I was offended by it! :D  If you want to read my story (or you need something to put you to sleep), you can find it here:

christianhumanism1.blogspot.com/

What it all comes down to, for me at least, is that there is God and there is truth and there is reality...and then there are human perceptions of God and truth and reality. The ancient Israelites were a nomadic tribe that "needed" a war-god to help them survive. So their story reflects their concepts of God that support that interpretation. Bush and company needed an "American war-god" to help him fight against the evil of our "enemies" in Iraq...and he found that war-god in the Christian scriptures and history.

Nevertheless, there is still a counter-narrative found in the scriptures and in history that says that God loves all and doesn't want anyone to perish and takes no pleasure in the death of the wicked. There is the view of God that Jesus had that, while theistic (he was a product of his own religion, BTW), still held that God loved all but had an especially tender heart toward the oppressed, hungry, poor, persecuted, etc.

Jesus, it seems to me, refused to play the role of "Yahweh-incarnate", of the warrior-god of Israel coming to destroy God's enemies. As far as our scriptures tell us. he never killed anyone. If he was, mythologically speaking, "what God looks like in human form", then we have to admit that he rejected the role of telling his followers to kill their enemies, etc. Yes, he did warn of hell (which is another subject for another time), but he called for his followers to be known by their love, not by the edge of their swords. So we have the freedom (and perhaps the responsibility) to sift through our scriptures to discover what we think God is really like. After all, it is, IMO, a true adage that we become like that which we worship. If that is true, then it is important that we carefully consider which images of God we hold to be truest and more accurate to who we want to be and become as compassionate human beings.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook