Switch to Forum Live View started reading Anam Cara
4 years ago  ::  Dec 07, 2009 - 12:06PM #1
Fraserlover

and boy is it confusing!  Some of the passages seem to go against Christianity altogether.  While I'm waiting on J Philip Newell's book, I checked out one by Esther De Wall called The Celtic Way of Prayer.  I'm folllowing this one a lot better.  Actually I'm really enjoying it.

Marty, is there a book about Pelagius you would recommend?

Thanks

Julie

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 08, 2009 - 7:14AM #2
mfjfarrell

Dia annseo isteach!

God to all here!

Greetings Julie,

Glad to hear you have started Anam Cara.   John O'Donohue has a very unique style of expressing himself, very poetic and picturesque.  Once you are used to the style, it grows on you.  What I appreciated most about his work in this book was the clarity of understanding the Celtic mindset.  As a Catholic in my childhood and a Pentecostal as an adult, I always felt at odds with Western thinking about God and Man and Nature.  As I read him, I felt the harmony of coming home to a place I had never been!  Stick with it and don't hesitate to ask questions.  Actually, I had to read it about 7 times just to absorb what I had read.

The definitive book on Pelagius is 'Pelagius: Life and Letters' by B.R. Rees.  Its a scholarly work with a hefty price tag!  Thankfully, Newell does an excellent job with him in his 'Listening for the Heartbeat of God' and its a very modest price.  Its also an excellent introduction to the Celtic Way of Spirituality.  I'd advise this one be added to your reading list as well.

Ester De Wall is also excellent and many people prefer her style of writing.  I've found her to be a bit 'light' for my purposes but that's just me!  As for Anam Cara, we have started a discussion on my home site, Celtic Christian Spirituality at www.quicktopic.com/31/H/ACD32UG6jYw .  Please feel free to stop by there as well, its a lovely group of people seeking the Celtic Way in their own lives.  If you introduce yourself to the group I'll give you some links to previous posts (recommended reading list) to help you out also.  Again, feel free to bring your questions here as well.  Several of the CCS members are also members here.

Thanks again for sharing your progress with us, always nice to meet a fellow traveler...

Slan (bye)

Marty
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2009 - 12:06PM #3
Fraserlover

I started back at the beginning and have went slowly.  I'm starting to see glimpses of his belief.  I also got to where he speaks of Jesus and have no problem with what he is saying.  He speaks very poetically.  It has also helped reading some background, historical information on CC.  I can't believe how I just believed what I did/do without researching why I believe.  Did that make sense?  LOL!

Julie

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2009 - 12:56PM #4
mfjfarrell

Dia annseo isteach!

I'm glad your are giving Anam Cara a second look.  From the Prologue, you can see how Christ, as our Maker and lover of our souls, it the first and foremost Soul Friend.  At the time I had first read it, there were many books on the market touting to be 'Celtic' but were either New Age or Wiccan or just plain fanciful tales.  Seeing him state Christ as the Source of Life, our Anam Cara, made it easier for me as well to accept what he was saying.

Again, I'll recommend J.Philip Newell's Listening to the Heartbeat of God as an essential background to planting your feet firmly on Celtic beliefs.  He even touches on Pleagius!

As far as 'just accepting' the beliefs of the west, we are victims of our upbringing!  Celtic Christianity was supposed to have been terminated in 664 A.D. at Whitby, but it lived on in the hearts and minds of the Celtic peoples.  It doesn't need a church to survive, its a way of life.  Even today, 'scholars' refer to us as 'pelagians' so they can dismiss the message we bring.  Pelagius (St Morgan) was a Celt but not all Celts were Pelagians!  Actually, today, his works and words are under review by some scholars and they feel he was falsely accused and misquoted.  Such is life!

There have been other revivals of CC in the past but so far Western (Roman) Theology still holds sway over Western thought.  I think the reason we are in such environmental troubles is because we lost sight of the Icon of Christ in Nature.  This is the third revival but I've been watching the 'Emergent Church' and I find we have much in common with them.  We live in a very interesting time of life for watching the hand of God!

Good luck with your reading and thanks for sharing questions or thoughts here or on CCS...

Slan,

Marty

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2009 - 1:32PM #5
Fraserlover

I've started on listening for the heartbeat of God.  He states on page 32 "The great tragedy of the Synod of Whitby is that neither the Peter tradition nor the John tradition should have been displaced.  Each represents a way of seeing firmly rooted in the gospel tradition." I've heard of the Peter tradition (that it's wrong) but had never heard of the John tradition until now.  I wish that churches would offer classes on the history of the gospel, bible, etc.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2009 - 1:40PM #6
mfjfarrell

Hey Julie,

In Listening for the Heartbeat of God, Newell explains that tradition in detail.  Celts tend to favor the John tradition but he's right, both give a better understanding of Scripture.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook