5 years ago  ::  Dec 04, 2009 - 9:01PM #1
Anesis

Curious - what was the purpose of anointing with oil? What is the significance today?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 05, 2009 - 10:15PM #2
sincerly

Dec 4, 2009 -- 9:01PM, Anesis wrote:

Curious - what was the purpose of anointing with oil? What is the significance today?

Anesis, in the sense you are asking, Ex.30:22-30 gives this use. "And thou shalt anoint Aaron and his sons, and consecrate them, that [they] may minister unto me in the priest's office."

It was an act of setting apart or consecrating as HOLY the priests and those vessels to be used in the services of the LORD thy GOD. Also, The kings(who were acting as GOD's law givers/enforcers) were "anointed".

Paul wrote this,2Cor. 1:19-24, "For the Son of God, Jesus Christ, who was preached among you by us, [even] by me and Silvanus and Timotheus, was not yea and nay, but in him was yea.  For all the promises of God in him [are] yea, and in him Amen, unto the glory of God by us. Now he which stablisheth us with you in Christ, and hath anointed us, [is] God;  Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts.   Moreover I call God for a record upon my soul, that to spare you I came not as yet unto Corinth.  Not for that we have dominion over your faith, but are helpers of your joy: for by faith ye stand. "

John gives the HOLY SPIRIT'S role in this process today and Since the Resurrection.  John 16:13, Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, [that] shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come." and 1John 2:2627, "These [things] have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you.  But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him."

When one accepts the "new Birth"/"born of the Spirit", one receives the "anointing". "The setting apart from the world as Holy unto GOD."

Peace,   Sincerly.      As long as sin is practiced, one will search for a means to validate the continuing therein. ANON

The greatest want of the world is the want of men--men who will not be bought or sold, men who in their inmost souls are true and honest, men who do not fear to call sin by its right name, men whose conscience is as true to duty as the needle to the pole, men who will stand for the right though the heavens fall.---- ANON  (Ellen G. White. 1882)
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2010 - 2:31PM #3
Kodiacman

Dec 4, 2009 -- 9:01PM, Anesis wrote:

Anesis,

I read that the Hebraic term for anoint was mashah (strongs # 4886)

a primitive root; to rub with oil, i.e. to anoint; by implication to consecrate; also to paint :- anoint, paint.

—Strong's Talking Greek & Hebrew Dictionary

IN the Old Testament from what I have read, and this is by no means conclusive, that to anoint was an act to proclaim God's blessing or special favor upon the person being anointed. I see where most all the kings, prophets, and preists were anointed and consecrated for service to God and also to support thier authority since they had been anointed to hold those offices of leadership. I would liken it to a bit of a Spiritual diploma from God to a qualified individual, although I would never want to dimish the Divine so I do not wish to be too dogmatic in my definition.

A secondary note was that the Isrealites anointed objects ranging from a Jacobs stone pillow to the Ark or the Altar as a means of consecrating it and setting it apart for service to God.

I take that same picture of a blessing and favor into the New Testament wherein I see Jesus being anointed before His death. I also see a passage in James where we are encouraged to anoint the sick and pray for them to be healed.

What does all this mean? (sorry for the review but I wanted to give backround for my view was all. ambiguity is an awful thing..) I read in the Bible were I am to be filled not with wine but with the Holy Spirit every day.we see this here: 

for he will be great in the eyes of the Lord. He must never touch wine or other alcoholic drinks. He will be filled with the Holy Spirit, even before his birth. 16  Luke 1:15-16 (NLT)

AND HERE

Don’t be drunk with wine, because that will ruin your life. Instead, be filled with the Holy Spirit,19 singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs among yourselves, and making music to the Lord in your hearts.2 Eph 5:18-20 (NLT)

I petition God for His holy Spirit to fill me as I am a cracked pot (pun intended) and I leak so I constantly need to be filled with Him. This is a bit metaphorical in the sense that I do not pour oil on myself every day, but as I invite His presence into my life His oil begins to soften my heart and imbue me with His power to do His will. The effort is to get into the presence of God as this is where there is a constant flow of "sap' as I am attached to the vine as a branch. a lot of mixed metaphors here..... A great book on this is Practicing His Presence by Brother Lawrence. He was a monk who lived in France and his story is a great encouragement.

In James we read where we are to call the sick and anoint them with oil and pray for thier healing. This is almost like a Double blessing of the Favor of God as represented by the actions of the elders or church leaders anointing them with oil as an active faith statement in obedience to God. I have anointed my daughter before as the preist of my house and prayed for her healing. I also recognize that I am also under authority and we go to church and seek thier prayers and guidance as well.

I do think that oil can be seen a 'magical' in that it is the source of the cure. May it never be so! God and God alone is my healer!! I anoint as an act of obedience that I am trusting God will honor my faith. It can be a slippery slope, the idea of anointing with oil is curative. More Pun!Wink We see this in other faiths were they pray to a relic or a statue for a special favor. Anointing oil can become like this if we do not keep our focus on God as our healer.

hopefully this answers the question a bit better as it has had only one previous post.....

blessings

mark

If someone wants to doubt the existence of Jesus, my experience is that no evidence or argument will change his mind. Such is the nature of skepticism.~Editor fourth R
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2010 - 12:42AM #4
birwin4

From Elwell's Evangelical Dictionary:

In the ancient Near East anointing persons or objects with plain or perfumed oil was widespread for medicinal, preservative, and cosmetic purposes. Olive oil in particular was often applied after bathing (Ruth 3:3; Ezek. 16:9; Dan. 13:17; Ps. 104:15), on wounds (Isa. 1:6; Mark 6:13; Luke 10:34; James 5:14), on corpses (Mark 16:1; Luke 23:56; John 19:39), on released captives (II Chr. 28:15), and even on shields (II Sam. 1:21; Isa. 21:15). Specially prepared oils were also used to anoint the head (Ps. 23:5; Matt. 26:7; Luke 7:46) and feet (Luke 7:28, 46; John 12:3) of guests or venerated persons, and simply as perfumes (Deut. 28:40; Judg. 10:3; II Sam. 14:2; Dan. 10:3; Rev. 3:3). A sign of joy in these instances (Isa. 61:3; Matt. 6:7), it was something from which mourners were always to abstain. 

The command to anoint the sick found in James 5:14 together with a suggestive reference in Mark 6:13 led to a practice which in the Catholic Church eventually came to be known as extreme unction . Protestant Reformers uniformly rejected both the practice and its associated theology. In recent years, however, scattered Protestant groups have reconsidered the practice, which is now understood only with respect to prayer for physical healing.

My own take on it is that the medicinal effects of olive oil are now known to be very limited. The practice of anointing now would be symbolic and as such would be a practical reminder that God is the great healer. This surely would be helpful to the sufferer. Further prayer would be that the doctors would have sufficient wisdom to find the cause of the illness and to  effect a cure if this is God's will.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2010 - 3:37PM #5
Anesis

These are really great thoughts. Birwin, I appreciate you looking it up for me in your resources. The quote made reference to perfumed oils - might these be what we classify today as essential oils - spikenard, frankincense, myrrh, etc? Olive oil might be limited in its medicinal qualities, but there are many essential oils that have a chemical makeup for healing or prevention of illness, and even embalming (iirc, Frankincense is for embalming and Myrrh is for stopping bleeding - both gifts for Jesus - perhaps the myrrh for post-partum Mary)? Olive oil can be used as a carrier oil for the essential oils, and not only that, but if you cook with it, there are more benefits to it than if you apply it topically.

Aside from all that, it seems that prayer for healing is pretty much what it is used for now. Is that right? Or do we also still use it for a consecration ceremony?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2010 - 10:40PM #6
birwin4

I think you are right about the essential oils. There are obviously benefits from the use of these oils in stopping bleeding etc. One interesting helpful use of Olive Oil is as an antioxident if taken orally, but that is outside your original question.

Anointing with oil  for a specific purposes was apparently practised in the medieval church particullarly ordination to religious office and anointing the hands for giving out of the sacrament.

There was also an anointing with oil ceremony for the giving of the Holy Spirit and the passing on to new elders their roles as leaders in the Church. It is impossible to distinguish apostolic teaching from later tradition on this anointing for office.

It does seem that the modern idea of a symbolic use of anointing with oil as an encouragement for prayer for healing  is being developed in some Charismatic groups both within the Pentecostal tradition and in mainline churches.

Other than that I can find little else of help, sorry.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook