Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Whats the difference between Christianity and Celtic Christianity?
5 years ago  ::  Nov 27, 2009 - 2:02PM #1
Zipporahx

What is the difference between Christianity and Celtic Christianity?  Thanks for any reply!

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 28, 2009 - 7:33AM #2
mfjfarrell

Dia annseo isteach!

God to all here!

Greetings Zipporhx,

And welcome to our Celtic Corner!  You asked about the basic difference between Celtic Christianity and (Western) Christianity.  To understand how all this happened, it would be helpful to have a little background in Church history.  Once the 'Good News' was the same in both the Eastern Church and the Western.  Christ brought restoration between God and Man as an act of love to show us the path (his death) to him.  As Rome began to dominate the Western half of the Empire and hence the church, they added in mankind's inherent corruption.  That's not biblical! 

Sin means failings, not corruption.  But it gave the church in Rome the means to direct people to their institution (seven sacraments) rather than directing them to Christ.  This came about in the debates between Augustine and Pelagius (a celtic monk).  Rome took its ascendancy and later even split with the Eastern Church.  The Eastern Church still holds that mankind is an Icon of Christ, we mirror his goodness but are flawed by some quirks in our humanity.  Original Sin is a non-scriptural doctrine of the West only!!

Celts see the Light of Christ in all mankind and Nature, His Creation.  We honor men and women equally, we hold that He is never separated from us (He is the Source of all Life!), that all things in this life are enter-twined and connected by His presence (no dualism), and that our only task in life is to live in faithful fellowship with him by surrendering ourselves to him now so we may be Him to others here. (3 harmonies)

Of course, this is the short version!  We are scholars of both books (Scripture and Creation).  And both must be studied as a revelation of His nature, yet He is still far beyond both!

Thanks for your interest... always glad to share the message of Christ with all...

Slan,

Marty

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 28, 2009 - 1:18PM #3
Zipporahx

Thanks Marty for taking the time to explain!!!  Very interesting. Always interested in the different views of Christianiy.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 28, 2009 - 1:26PM #4
mfjfarrell

Sure! Glad to help and your questions are always welcomed here!

Marty

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 23, 2009 - 12:24PM #5
Amaia

Hello!

Are there any specific books you would recommend to further explain Celtic Christianity?

Thanks so much,

Amaia

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 23, 2009 - 1:55PM #6
mfjfarrell

Dia anseo isteach!

God to all here!

Greetings Amaia,

I think the best known work for an introduction to CC is J.Philip Newell's 'Listening for the Heartbeat of God'.  He has written many works on this subject and has recently taken on a few more tasks in spreading the word.  John O'Donohue and Ester de Waal are other well known authors on the subject as well.  In addition, there are many other good authors and its easy to find decent books by looking up 'Celtic' or 'Celtic Christianity' at Amazon or other book stores.

If there is anything you need explained as you do your reading/studying, please don't hesitate to bring any questions here!  May the Lord of Light open the windows of your soul...

Slan,

Marty

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2010 - 1:53PM #7
betty kim

I'm searching for where I fit in the Faith World.  One of my grandmothers said my people are Scots-Irish with a little bit of Indian. I was raised in a small town in a Southern Baptist Church but feel I've been influenced by many different Faiths.  I have (or have had) friends who are (or were) Baptist, Primitive Baptist, Anabaptist, Methodist, Presbyterian, Holiness, Catholic, Moravian, and Agnostic.  I am a Christian who no longer identifies with the Southern Baptist Doctrine.  I have been searching and so far feel more in tune with the Quaker Faith (SPICE Philosophy) but there are no Quaker Churches where I live.  Then today, I read about Celtic Christianity and it seems to "ring true." Is there any connection between Celtic Christianity and the Society of Friends?    

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2010 - 4:35PM #8
mfjfarrell

Dia anseo isteach!

God to all here!

Greetings Betty Kim,

Others have mentioned similarities of doctrine between Celtic Christianity and differing denominations also.  However, Celtic Christianity has nothing to do with Protestantism per se.  It comes from an earlier time in the Church well before Protestantism got its start.  CC is a reflection of the Celtic mindset/belief system as it received the early Gospel message.  If it is similar to any extant religion it would be that of the Eastern Orthodox branch of Christianity.  Yet, we have many areas of difference from them as well.

You mentioned that you come from Scots-Irish heritage.  Many have attested to an inherent 'racial memory' regarding their beliefs.  Perhaps this is what you are feeling?  A call to worship God through all His Creation, mankind and nature?  As a Pentecostal Elder many years ago, I never felt 'at home' in my church.  There was always something lacking in how I thought of God and how we should be treating others and the environment.  Thus began my journey eventually leading me to CC.  The journey continues but it is one filled with discovering Christ in everything around us (even in the people I'm not fond of!!).  We emphasize 'seeing' Christ within all that has life.  We consider him to be 'The Source' of all that exists and desire Harmony, in ourselves, with God and with Mankind and Nature.

Protestantism and Catholicism are both products of St. Augustine's and Calvin's doctrines of the corruption of mankind after the Fall.  While Celts recognize that we are flawed, we still see the Light of Christ in all mankind and especially nature.

If you would like to know more, feel free to ask here.  May your journey bring you the happiness and peace you desire...

Slan,

Marty

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2010 - 12:17PM #9
Amaia

Marty said - You mentioned that you come from Scots-Irish heritage.  Many have attested to an inherent 'racial memory' regarding their beliefs.  Perhaps this is what you are feeling?  A call to worship God through all His Creation, mankind and nature? 

Dia dhuit!

I wanted to add my two cents and say that statement really sums it up in a nutshell for me.  I am finding Irish on both sides of my family, and I have always felt that call, that connection to nature and everything around me.  It is one of the reasons why I gravitated toward the Earth Religions like Wicca during my college years.  I am just now finding my way back to Christianity but seeing it in a new, more accepted way, which is really cool. 

Thanks for mentioning the info about the racial memory - I hadn't thought about it that way before in a Christian sense.

Slan,

Amaia

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2010 - 4:40PM #10
Stephen

Three questions: Is Celtic Christianity related to Patrick's work in Ireland? and

Do you recommend the Sister Fedelma mysteries (Peter Berresford?) for perspective?

And, The idea that the Irish saved Western Civilization during the dark ages is popular. Does credit for this go to Celtic Christianity?

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook