5 years ago  ::  Nov 27, 2009 - 12:47PM #1
Intotheblue

Hello, all. Hope you had a blessed holiday.

I think Thanksgiving is a great holiday because "giving thanks" is something everyone can do and appreciate, no matter what their religious affiliation. Even atheists can feel and express gratitude, even though they don't believe in a 'god' per se. Of course we can give thanks to a higher power, but we can also give thanks to other people, like our friends and family for their role in our lives, or maybe the soldiers who sacrifice for our safety and freedom, or maybe our government for leading and protecting us, or maybe our employers for giving us income... so many things to be grateful for.

What have you given thanks for this year?

Besides the 'usual' list, this year I'm also grateful for my enemies, for those who have recently hurt me inexpressibly, because they give me a VERY good chance to do as Christ taught us to do - to forgive them, and pray for them, and refuse to lash out and return their hatred.

Namaste.

.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."

"It is not our differences that divide us, but our inability to accept and celebrate those differences."
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 28, 2009 - 10:33AM #2
Stardove

Nov 27, 2009 -- 12:47PM, Intotheblue wrote:

Hello, all. Hope you had a blessed holiday.

I think Thanksgiving is a great holiday because "giving thanks" is something everyone can do and appreciate, no matter what their religious affiliation. Even atheists can feel and express gratitude, even though they don't believe in a 'god' per se. Of course we can give thanks to a higher power, but we can also give thanks to other people, like our friends and family for their role in our lives, or maybe the soldiers who sacrifice for our safety and freedom, or maybe our government for leading and protecting us, or maybe our employers for giving us income... so many things to be grateful for.

Besides the 'usual' list, this year I'm also grateful for my enemies, for those who have recently hurt me inexpressibly, because they give me a VERY good chance to do as Christ taught us to do - to forgive them, and pray for them, and refuse to lash out and return their hatred.

In general I am grateful I am so blessed by my family which includes  husband, parents still living and married after 63 years (this makes me rare), one brother, four children, three sons-in-laws, three grandchildren, uncles, aunts, cousins and in-laws including nieces and nephews.

One of the hardest lessons in A Course In Miracles (ACIM) was to send love to an enemy.  The only person I could consider an enemy had sexually abused his children and I was a target of his hatred due to helping the wife get out.  What I determined was we can love a person like this "enemy" right out of our lives.  Prior to the lesson I continued to see him, normally shooting me the bird while I was out and about in my town.  I even took him to court for disturbing my peace at one point, but I do believe it was the love vibration which repelled him out of my life.  I am thankful to God not to have to deal with his actions today.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 29, 2009 - 4:03PM #3
Billmc

Nov 27, 2009 -- 12:47PM, Intotheblue wrote:

You sound like a very mature person, Intotheblue. Being thankful for one's enemies is not something we hear very often, even from the Christian culture.

Me? I'm thankful for my family, for a few close friends, for enough food to eat, and enough clothes to wear. I'm thankful that while there is a downturn in the economy, good will and cheer has not completely left our planet and there are bright rays of hope that burst forth every now and again.

Mainly, I'm thankful for this wonderful, hurtful, joyful, sorrowful ride we call life. When I draw my last breath, I want to say to the One who made it all, "Wow! Thank You!"

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 29, 2009 - 9:28PM #4
Intotheblue

Billmc, thank you for your compliment. That was a really nice answer to the question too. Smile

Stardove, you're absolutely right. I think forgiving your enemy is like "letting go." It takes so much energy to keep hating and hold a grudge. The sense of freedom and relief is amazing when we decide to turn that hate into love!

Namaste.

.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."

"It is not our differences that divide us, but our inability to accept and celebrate those differences."
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook