Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View New Age Writers and Christianity
5 years ago  ::  Aug 29, 2009 - 8:10AM #1
Dostojevsky

Personally I find reading many New Age (spiritual) writers enhancing my (Christian) spirituality. God Being One, embraces all people with all desires to find Him. Of course some of these books are good for information and you may not want to go there again, others are permament on your bookshelf: Robert Monroe, Stuart Wilde, Raymond Moody, Deepak Chopra etc. Swedenborg is not new age but he's been called the father of the new age. I wonder would others  find that to be the case.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 29, 2009 - 10:17AM #2
Stardove

Dr. Don Curtis is now in the Spirit world, but his book Your Thoughts Can Change Your Life certainly changed my way of thinking.  In 1987 I picked up this 26 years old book (at the time) from the local library.  I began reading it on a Thursday night.  I read "nothing happens by chance".  The next day a friend came over and said he had been dragged to church, but how is was different than anything he remembered in the prior 16 years since he had been to church.

He really liked the minister.  As he talked about the experience I ask is the minister Don Curtis?  To which he replied "do you know Dr. Don?"  Amazingly the author had moved from CA changed denominations, and his church was only 25 miles/minutes from my home.  My friend said he was going again on Sunday would I like to join him and his girlfriend.  I said I think I had better go, because last night I read, nothing happens by chance.  The Church was the Unity Church of Dallas.  I ended up joining the church and made the journey to Dallas for a number of years.  If my friend has not gone to Unity, I would most likely have never known how close Dr. Don Curtis was to me.

A fiction book that is also an old one is Illusions by Richard Bach.  I got my first copy in 1977.  Currently my signature quote is from the book.  For a novel it is filled with spiritual truth.

Saved By the Light by Dannion Brinkley is another older book that I believe can change one's thinking about death.  It is a true story about him being dead for 28 minutes and his spirit/soul coming back into a broken body.

I'll stop there, because there are so many....but I have more forums to check this morning.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The sun rises every morning and sheds light, vanquishing the night's darkness. The rooster also rises every morning only, unlike the sun, he simply makes noise. But the darkness of the night is dispelled by sunshine, not by the rooster's crowing.The world can use more light and less noise. Where I can, I want to be light.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 30, 2009 - 8:06AM #3
Dostojevsky

That's amazing experience Stardove.

I also picked up Dannion Brinkley from the library and this years ago while these ideas were fairly new. I couldn't put it down. Today there's so many more books written on the subject as people are more free to write about their experience. Of course Elizabeth Koobler Ross has done some marvelous work helping the dying and those who are grieving.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 30, 2009 - 10:53AM #4
Stardove

Aug 30, 2009 -- 8:06AM, Dostojevsky wrote:

That's amazing experience Stardove.

I also picked up Dannion Brinkley from the library and this years ago while these ideas were fairly new. I couldn't put it down. Today there's so many more books written on the subject as people are more free to write about their experience. Of course Elizabeth Koobler Ross has done some marvelous work helping the dying and those who are grieving.

I love to share my how I found Unity.

I also have Elizabeth Koobler Ross' book about the dying process, think it's Death Dying and Letting Go. 

No time to check title I need to get ready to go watch the grand-children.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The sun rises every morning and sheds light, vanquishing the night's darkness. The rooster also rises every morning only, unlike the sun, he simply makes noise. But the darkness of the night is dispelled by sunshine, not by the rooster's crowing.The world can use more light and less noise. Where I can, I want to be light.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 04, 2009 - 11:50AM #5
Dostojevsky

I have just bought a book by Stuart Wilde, Grace Gaia and the End of Days.

I have to some extent thought that the Bible has a lot negative things in and a lot of things that Jesus said as judgment; some of His words were/are as sharp as a two-edged sword. Also read Swedenborg and he talks a lot about the evil spirits and how we can be influenced by them to keep ourselves clean because they get attracted to our darkness (sins) etc. In a way we are like an annthena for sorting and choosing either good and the bad influences.

Stuart is as New Age as they come, and yet this book confirms everything the Bible and Swedenborg talk about - the hellish, devilish entities that roam our streets, athmosphere, sowing discord and hatred, disease of the mind and the body. They can influence our thinking and we would not know that it is not us, our thoughts.

Only a third way through, there will be more exciting pages I am sure....

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 08, 2009 - 3:18PM #6
Reformationnow

Usually, when folks talk about "New Age" they are talking about the spiritual movement that begain in America in the 1960s. And at that time there were a lot of spiritual teachers, scholars and writers who spoke of the "dawning of the new age." For example, the great musical Hair was about that.

However, I've learned that at that time the announcement of the dawning of the new age was premature.

At the present time, we are still in the passing age, even though its end is drawing ever nearer. And it is the age, or Aeon, as Jesus called it, that he ushered in. It has been an age of conflict and division, which is why Jesus said: "I have come not to bring peace on earth, but rather division." (Luke 12:51)

''Jesus knew the age he ushered in would be one of conflict and division, and he knew many people would not take the advice he gave about loving one another, especially your neighbor and even your enemy, and not judging one another. And he knew the conflict and division would mainly be caused by the iniquity of self-important, self-righteous, arrogant, judgmental, greedy, power-hungry people. Jesus was quite right, and he was a great prophet." -- Joseph J. Adamson -and now his work can be read at messenger.cjcmp.org

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 11, 2009 - 2:15AM #7
Dostojevsky

Separating the wheat from the chaff?

The age of the Internet has brought to us so many ideas and happennings from around the world that we must take a stand either consciously or unconsciously.  The more the people empower themselves to support justice and goodness and compassion, the more we can fight the evils of the world which in itself is the evil if the dark forces.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 11, 2009 - 4:10PM #8
Reformationnow

Oct 11, 2009 -- 2:15AM, Dostojevsky wrote:

Separating the wheat from the chaff? The age of the Internet has brought to us so many ideas and happennings from around the world that we must take a stand either consciously or unconsciously.  The more the people empower themselves to support justice and goodness and compassion, the more we can fight the evils of the world which in itself is the evil if the dark forces.

Yes, exactly. Adamson, like Thomas Jefferson, separates the "wheat from the chaff."

In his article on Ignored American History, the modern son of man points out that Jefferson even compiled a reformed version of the gospels to rescue the philosophy of Jesus and the "pure principles which he taught," from the "corruptions and artificial vestments" which were established as "instruments of riches and power" for church patriarchs. Like Adamson, Jefferson concluded that Jesus never claimed to be God, and he regarded much of the New Testament as corrupted with "palpable interpolations and falsifications." He separated ethical and true teachings from the religious doctrine and dogma and other fictional supernatural elements that were intermixed in the gospels between the mid-first century and the fourth century when the Christian Bible was compiled and edited. Jefferson called his book "The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth Extracted Textually from the Gospels." He didn't publish it, because he regarded religious beliefs as a private matter. But now people know it as The Jefferson Bible.

Jefferson would have liked the work and conclusions of the members of the modern Jesus Seminar, which also have come to similar conclusions. The modern son of man, who has written under the pen name of Joseph J. Adamson, however, has arrived at more comprehensive, sweeping conclusions to really set the record straight.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 12, 2009 - 3:43AM #9
Dostojevsky

How did he come to these conclusions, his own intuition or something?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 12, 2009 - 3:28PM #10
Reformationnow

Oct 12, 2009 -- 3:43AM, Dostojevsky wrote:

How did he come to these conclusions, his own intuition or something?

As Adamson explains it, his spiritual rebirth occurred in 1971 when he was thirty years old, when he was carried away in spirit to that high and holy place where God inhabits eternity. But it took him many years to fathom what had happened to him.

He began a long process of learning, going through periods of learning through intense study, and other periods of learning by just wandering in the world without any money, and meeting people who gave him rides and took him into their homes.

It wasn't until 1979 that he discovered what his mission was, and since then he understands that what had happened to him in 1971 was that he had fortuitously opened the seven seals of revelation, or the seven chakras, and thereby opened the door to God and the cosmic Book of Life.

He points out that people can learn and even memorize the Bible, or any other sort of religious and/or spiritual method of learning, and still not understand God's will and intent. It is only through divine revelation and transcending the bonds of egocentricity and ethnocentricity that one realizes the divine reality that is within and at hand.

He was "anointed" by the universal Spirit of truth, not by the clergy of any religion. And his mission is to establish a reformation of all religions, particularly of Judaism, Christian and Islam, so that we may all understand that in the sight of God we are One.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook