Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
6 years ago  ::  Apr 21, 2009 - 6:47PM #1
soma77

In the spirit of love there is unity with room for diversity without elimination. Christ consciousness is ready to reveal itself to the sincere soul that makes an intense effort to search for love. What is needed is not submission to an external authority, a flawless book, or a rigid church that divides and eliminates, but an inward realization of God that unites. We need to test our realization with reason, witness it at work and perceive the unity of everything in pure consciousness. In every race, in every country and in every stage of history and culture people talk about God so we must admit that our minds are being qualified and supported with God’s love to reach within our selves and others to experience God the Father's pure consciousness that permeates everything.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 01, 2009 - 12:42AM #2
Solidgranit.com

The Church is the inward expression of God as His body with Christ as it's head.  It's external forms are to be reflections of it's inner workings (ideallly).

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 01, 2009 - 2:22AM #3
mattchapter25

The Church as the Body of Christ is a continuation of the Incarnation. Jesus at one and the same time was both fully man and fully God. The Church likewise has a dual character with His spirit animating it and guiding it and being fully present in its sacraments. At the same time the members of the body are fully human with all that that implies, unlike Jesus Himself sin can be found among the members of the Church.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 01, 2009 - 2:59AM #4
Solidgranit.com

I would call it a Divine-Human Organism.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 01, 2009 - 3:33AM #5
kurnell

My experience of the Church is that it has lost all relevance to the realities of daily life. Its leadership is only interested in power and position.Instead of the Church being a little bit of Heaven on Earth, it has been a place of spiritual and psychological abuse.

After over 30 years of attending Church, I have left, to join the increasing number of 'Church less Christians'. I am now seeking a deeper, contemplative dimension to my spiritual life.

Pax

Jeffrey

Treasure your experience of God,however it comes to you.Remember that Christianity is not a notion but a way.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 01, 2009 - 12:16PM #6
Solidgranit.com

May 1, 2009 -- 3:33AM, kurnell wrote:

My experience of the Church is that it has lost all relevance to the realities of daily life. Its leadership is only interested in power and position.Instead of the Church being a little bit of Heaven on Earth, it has been a place of spiritual and psychological abuse.

After over 30 years of attending Church, I have left, to join the increasing number of 'Church less Christians'. I am now seeking a deeper, contemplative dimension to my spiritual life.

Pax

Jeffrey

I was where you were 6-8 months ago and for a year or so previous I did much soul searching and church hunting.  I felt that all the Prostestant churches were empty.  It wasn't fulfilling on an intellectual, historical, and spiriual level.  Essentially I felt there ust be more to God than going to church, singing hymns, listening to a moving sermon, and then reading the Bible.  I got good lessons on how to live my life, but no spirituality; as I said, relatively empty.  I began to look into the Orthodox Church.  My first exposure was Coptic Orthodoxy but I eventually found eastern orthodoxy.  Coming from a historical and intellectual perpsective the historical dimmension was very important and without going into the detials, it confirmed to me that the Church was the first and only Church of Christ.  If you have grown up Protestant in any form, the concept of anything like the Roman Catholic Church may not seem an option, but I promise, its similiarities are only skin-deep.  I suggest doing some research, ask people questions, and go to an Orthodox Church first and foremost, the Liturgy is meant to be experienced.  Good luck.  If you're RCC I say give it a try, its not so... legalistic.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 01, 2009 - 6:40PM #7
kurnell

Thank you for your thoughts. I left the Church that I may grow in my relationship with God. It is unfortunate that the Church itself can be counterproductive to personal growth. As I believe the Inward Christ the be my Guiding Light, not Pope or Holy Tradition or Bible, I would be like a fish out of water in the Churches you mentioned.

Right now, I am concentrating on living a contemplative life, and serving others in my community.

Pax

Jeffrey

Treasure your experience of God,however it comes to you.Remember that Christianity is not a notion but a way.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 02, 2009 - 3:08AM #8
Solidgranit.com

Which church did you come from if you don't mind me asking?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 02, 2009 - 3:36AM #9
kurnell

Baptised Anglican ,I joined the Congregational Church at 16, then a few years later became Baptist. Had a 'tongues experience' in Bible College and became a Pentecostal. Many years later I returned to the Anglican Church.

Pax

Jeffrey

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 02, 2009 - 12:25PM #10
Solidgranit.com

When I said 'Church' I was referring to the Orthodox Church, I would have to say all those other churches are not true Churches and that is where at least part of your problem was, and that one cannot have a proper relationship with Christ without the Church (Orthodox Catholic Church, not RCC) as there has only been one non-heretical Church in history.  To be fair there are exceptions to this (thief on the cross) but they are the exception not the rule.  Anyway that is my standard Orthodox view, forgive me if that sounded pompous, I wasn't trying to be rude.  Good luck I hope you find what you need, may God bless you!

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook