Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next
6 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2009 - 1:18PM #11
afi1952

Very nice idea. I myself keep a "Lyrics" file, and two of my favourites are "Jesus Loves Me" from childhood, and "Lord, I Lift Your Name On High"... I have subscribed to your blog, and look forward to keeping up to date with your blog page... Thank you, and God Bless... MikeyB

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 04, 2009 - 10:07AM #12
Knappy

Never Could have Made It,  by Marvin Sapp   

This song got me through the sudden passing of my husband and also got me to the point of moving on in my spritual walk. This song is truly an inspiration to all who have the ear to listen.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 04, 2009 - 9:02PM #13
swinter5

Two that make me "tear up" are "Little Jimmy Brown," which is going WAAY back in time, as I first heard it as a child (I'm 61 now), and "Were you there when they crucified my Lord?"

Unfortunately, I'm not as adept as the other writers here who have the words and lyrics of their favorite songs.  "Little Jimmy Brown" is a secular song about the life of a man known as Jimmy Brown.  The Bells rang for him at significant times of his life, ending with his funeral.  I cried even as a child, it was that emotional.

I'm sure we all have heard "Were You There?"  It depicts stages of Jesus' on Good Friday, as in - "Were You There when they nailed him to the cross?" Every time I hear this song - and it is an early Spiritual, only sung around Palm Sunday and Easter - I feel the hammer AND the nails, and react viscerally to the scenes in the song.  Anyone who DOESN'T feel Christ's anguish on the cross, are just NOT in tune...

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2009 - 12:15PM #14
voice-crying

This is an old old poem that I heard as a child, it use to make me cry.  I searched for it for years and and finally found it a few years ago.

Tommy's Prayer

In a dark  and dismal alley, where the sunshine never came, dwelt a little lad named Tommy; sickly, delicate and lame, He had never yet been healthy, since the day that he was born, dragging out his weak existence, well nigh hopeless and forlorn. He was six, was little Tommy, it was just five years ago, since his drunken mother dropped him; and the baby was crippled so.

He had never known the comfort, of a mothers gentle tender touch, but her cruel blows and curses, made his grief still worse to bear There he lay within the cellar, from the morning till the night, starved, neglected, cursed, ill-treated; naught to make his dull life bright, not a single friend to love him, not a single thing to love, for he knew not of a Savior, or a heaven up above. 

'Twas a quiet summer evening, and the alley too was still; Tommy's little heart was sinking, and he felt so lonely till, floating up the quiet alley,' wafted inward from the street, came the sound of someone singing, singing oh! So clear and sweet. Quietly, did Tommy listen, as the singer nearer came, Oh! That he could see the singer, how he called, and shouted loudly' till the singer heard the sound.  And on noting whence it issued, soon the little cripple found.

'Twas a maiden, rough and rugged, hair uncombed and naked feet, all her garments torn and ragged, her appearance far from neat.  "So you called me" said the maiden, "wonder what you want with me, most folks call me 'singing Jesse' what may - your name chance to be?"  "My name's Tommy, I'm a cripple, and I want to hear you sing; for it makes me feel so happy' sing me something, anything."  Jessie laughed and answered, smiling; "I can't stay here very long, but I'll sing a song to please you, which I call the glory song."

Then she sang to him of heaven, pearly gates and streets of gold; where the happy angel children, are not starved or nipped with cold, but where happiness and gladness, never can decrease nor end, and where kind and loving Jesus, is their Sovereign and their friend.  Oh! How Tommy's eyes did glisten, as he drank in every word, as it fell from singing Jessie, was it true what he had heard?  And so anxiously he asked her "Is there really such a place?"  And a tear began to trickle down his pallid little face.

"Tommy you're a little heathen, why it's up beyond the sky, and if you will love the Savior, you will go there when you die."  Then said Tommy "tell me Jessie, how can I the Savior love, when I'm down in this 'ere cellar, and He's up in heaven above?"  So the little ragged maiden, who had heard at Sunday School, all about the way to heaven and the Christian Golden Rule; taught the little crippled Tommy, how to love and how to pray, sang a song to him of Jesus, kissed his cheek and went away.

Tommy lay within the cellar, which had grown so dark and cold; thinking of the little children in the streets of shinning gold.  But he hated not the darkness of that black and chilly room, for the joy of Tommy's bosom, could despise the darkest gloom.  "Oh! if I could only see them," thought the cripple as he lay, Jessie said that Jesus listens, so I think I'll try and pray.  So he closed his little eyes- and in accents weak yet earnest, sent his message to the skies.

"Gentle Jesus, please forgive me, for I never knew before, that you cared for crippled children that are weak and very poor; but I never heard of heaven, till that Jessie came today, and she told me all about it, so I want to try to pray.  "You can see me, can't you Jesus, Jessie told me that you could,  and I almost must believe it, for it seems so kind and good; and she told me if I love You, I should see You if I die, in that bright and happy heaven, that is up beyond the sky."

"Lord I'm only just a cripple, and of no use here below, for I heard my mother whisper, she'd be glad if I could go; and I'm cold and hungry sometimes, and I feel so lonely too, can't you take me gentle Jesus, up to heaven along with you?" 

"Oh I'd be so good and patient, and I'd never cry or fret; and Your kindness to me Jesus, I would surely not forget.  I would love You all I knew of, and would never make a noise; can't You find me just a corner where I'd watch the other boys?"  "Oh! I think You'll do it Jesus something seems to tell me so, for I feel so glad and happy, and I do so want to go; how I do so want to see You, You and all the children bright, come and fetch me home tonight."

Tommy ceased his supplication, he had told his soul's desire; and he waited for the answer, till his head began to tire; then he turned towards the corner, and he cuddled in a heap, and he closed his eyes so gently, and he was quickly fast asleep.  Oh! I wish that every scoffer could have seen that childish face, as he lay there in the cellar in the damp and noisome place.  For his countenance was shinning like an angel fair and right, and it seemed to fill the cellar with a holy heavenly light.

He had only heard of Jesus, from a ragged singing girl, he might well have wondered, pondered, till his brain began to whirl.  But he took it as she told it, and believed it then and there, simply trusting in the Savior, and His kind and loving care.

In the morning when his mother came to wake her crippled boy, she discovered that his features were a look of sweetest joy.  Then she shook him somewhat roughly, but the cripples face was cold, he had gone to join the children, in the streets of shinning gold.  Tommy's prayer had soon been answered, and the Angel Death had come, to remove him from the cellar, to his bright and heavenly home; where sweet comfort, joy and gladness never can decrease or end, and where Jesus reigns eternal, as His Sovereign and his Friend. 

author unknown.

"Death and life [are] in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof."Proverbs 18:21
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2009 - 11:55PM #15
Caseygal

Thanks for your participation/submissions and comments ladies and gents. :) A lot of names/folks I don't recognize too, and it's good to have you with us.

"Tommy's Prayer' is a tearjerker all right. ....

Knappy, I was curious and found 'I Never Would have Made It' on utube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JXFg5KEoXg

--and it reminds me a bit of Andre Crouch's 'Through it All':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPI35MohOKU&feature=related

And though I couldn't find it (on utube), the song "Thank you Lord" always got to me on the last verse, the way Andre Crouch sang it anyway. I did find the lyrics:

There were ten men in the Bible days
They had been sick for so very long
But one day Jesus passed their way
And when He spoke
Their disease was healed that day
But they all went on their merry merry way
And only one returned and said
I've got something to say
He said:

I just want to take
To take a little time right now
And thank the Lord
For all He's done for me
I just want to take
And thank the Lord
For all He's done for me

What the Lord means to you
Maybe I can't see
But this one thing I know
He's everything to me yes He is
I remember the times when a job
For me was so hard to find
Still the Lord made a way for me
Just in the nick of time
When I was sick and the doctor
Said I couldn't get well
But the Lord healed my body
And today I am able to tell
That's why I say that I just want
To take to take a little time
Right now to say thank You Lord
For all He's done for me
I just want to take
And thank the Lord
For all He's done for me

(ENDING)
Thank You Lord
I want to thank You
Thank You Lord
I want to thank You Lord
Thank You Lord
Thank You Lord

I wish I could hear it sung again though because when I try to sing it, there seems to be an extra line...hmm...

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2009 - 10:36AM #16
Madhorseman

Hello to all.

And here is few links you might find it enjoyable.

O divine redeemer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjCtPEe_f0o

Ava Maria

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQVz6vuNq7s&feature=PlayList&p=476ABEA5B9B016BB&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=23

2011 RU ready

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnCnivyT75k

God bless

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2009 - 2:26PM #17
Caseygal

Thank you Madhorseman. I found another version on utube by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuBx94tpoN4&feature=related

I also read that he composed this in the last months of his life. Seems to be based on a psalm?

I've been looking for the words to a song my hubby and I did in a community musical a few years back-- it was a song of Joseph before he realized that Mary had not been unfaithful and was in fact carrying the Son of God. I'll post it if I do find it.

A lot of the same songs that move us move others too I've found, often to my surprise. In the song I just mentioned for instance, I thought it was just me but looked over to see the pastor's wife also teary eyed. ....Another beautiful secular song is Traces by the Classics iv. I was recently surprised to learn my son had recorded it for his girlfriend (among other songs on a mixer he called 'sappy songs and shit' lol --or something like that...) -- I didn't even know he knew it.  I love the ending line: "I close my eyes, and say a prayer, that in her heart she'll find a trace of love still there...somewhere...." Reminds me a little of Sinatra. lol

I'd like to keep this going if possible so please do feel free to contribute and share whether or not your musical tastes are similar to mine. :)

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2009 - 2:33PM #18
Caseygal

Now this I remember as a longer song somehow....

Traces, sung by the Classics IV

Composer: Buddy Buie / James Cobb / Emory Gordy

Faded photographs, covered now with lines and creases
Tickets torn in half, memories in bits and pieces
Traces of love, long ago, that didn't work out right
Traces of love
Ribbons from her hair, souvenirs of days together
The ring she used to wear, pages from an old love letter
Traces of love, long ago, that didn't work out right
Traces of love  with me, tonight
I close my eyes and say a prayer
That in her heart she'll find
A trace of love still there somewhere, ohhh oh
Traces of hope in the night
That she'll come back and dry
These, traces of tears
From my eyes
Ohh oh oh ohhhh

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2009 - 2:54PM #19
Caseygal

Oh and I meant to say too; Bobby Goldsboro has got to have the saddest most beautiful songs ever written on the face of the planet. lol With Pen in Hand is one of my favorites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GswhVEUp1o

I found a version with Vicki Carr singing it with a 'female version' there too, and where the line "can you take good care of Johnny'  becomes "Jenny". I always wondered how one would sing that from that perspective....I do find that song uplifting too because it isn't just 'crying in your beer' but asking for another chance.

However here is a literal 'crying in your beer' clip that got to me (and I suspect a lot of others) when I first watched it,  from the last season of the Gilmour Girls:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZDw4xJhpnM

But as it turned out (spoiler alert?!) ......................it had a happy ending too. :)

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2009 - 4:26PM #20
Beautiful_Dreamer

This isn't really 'churchy', but I find it inspiring anyway:

http://www.lyrics.com/index.php/artists/lyric/tim-mcgraw-lyrics-live-like-you-were-dying

Chorus:

I went sky divin',
I went rocky mountain climbin',
I went 2.7 seconds on a bull name Fu Manchu.
And I loved deeper,
And I spoke sweeter,
And I gave forgiveness I've been denying,
And he said someday I hope you get the chance,
To live like you were dyin'

And this isn't a song, but a poem:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Do_not_stand_at_my_grave_and_weep

One version (both versions linked above):

Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there, I do not sleep.
I am in a thousand winds that blow,
I am the softly falling snow.
I am the gentle showers of rain,
I am the fields of ripening grain.
I am in the morning hush,
I am in the graceful rush
Of beautiful birds in circling flight,
I am the starshine of the night.
I am in the flowers that bloom,
I am in a quiet room.
I am in the birds that sing,
I am in each lovely thing.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there. I do not die.

More where that came from...

Writing I get paid to do

Beliefnet Community Host - Christian Faith and Life, Christian to Christian Debate
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook