Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View What's your favorite canonical Bible selection that is never preached upon?
6 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2008 - 10:59PM #1
billandted
Given our different approaches to the Christian Bible, I have a question.  What is your favorite canonical Bible book/selection that is never preached upon or used in public?  I would think that Song of Solomon would be a good start.

Notice that I said canonical.  If any church starts using the Gospel of Thomas or the Thunder Perfect Mind, I'm gonna be there :-).
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 14, 2008 - 7:51PM #2
bigbear6161
I am also a big fan of Song of Songs.  It was read at my wedding 18 years ago.  I remember my wife's aunt the nun who was helping us put together the readings.  Even though the passage from Song is one of the available readings at a wedding mass, she and my wife were quite unsure that it would be allowed.  Anyway, it was accepted and I thought it was a tremendous reading with which to celebrate the sacrament of matrimony.
Dave
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 01, 2008 - 4:00PM #3
tawonda
I don't have a RCL handy, but something tells me the little story in Exodus where Moses hides behind a rock and catches a glimpse of the Almighty's backside has probably been left out of the cycle of OT lessons.;-) That might be an interesting concept to weave into a sermon!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 08, 2008 - 7:20PM #4
Bob_Bennett
John 10:34, based loosely on Psalm 82:6        Jesus answered, "Is it not written in your law that I said, you are gods"?

Matt. 12:31     roughly  ---  Every sin will be forgiven.

Luke  3: 6         "  ...............and all flesh shall see the salvation of God".

Matt. 15: 6-9           "....for the sake of your tradition, you have nullified God's Law, making dogmas out of human precepts".     Which when properly understood, means that Jesus threw out the entire 603 Mosaic laws (but not referring to the decalogue) as being nothing but man made precepts.

John 18:37     "The reason why I came into the world is to testify to the truth."    i.e. nothing said about being a sacrificial lamb, or to die on the cross, but rather he came here to teach.

Matt 9:13   "It is mercy I desire and not sacrifice"  reciting Hosea 6:6

John 5:22  "The Father himself judges no one, but has assigned all judgment to the Son."

And what was left out  is that every human makes up the 'Son'  and we actually judge ourselves.

1 Col. 1:18   "Jesus is the beginning, the first-born of the dead."

meaning that he is not God.

And again at 1 Col 1:15   "Jesus is the image of the invisible God, the first born of all creatures."

meaning again that he is not God, but is a creature, like us.

I could go on, but this is a great start.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 30, 2008 - 11:41AM #5
Campbellite
Those are some, . . . erm, interesting . . ., interpretations Bob. But I think Tawonda is closer to what the thread is about.

I would suggest Judges chapter 3, the story about Ehud and Eglon. I don' t think I have ever heard a sermon or Sunday School lesson on that one. "The King was relieving himself in the cool upper chamber..."
You are unique.
Just like everybody else.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 31, 2008 - 10:46AM #6
Stardove

Like Bob I'll include John 5:22 John 5:22 "For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son".

Along with that I'll add Jesus also had this to say: John 12:47 "And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world."

Then from Matthew 27 ~ can't remember a sermon of these.

50 Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost.

51 And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent

52 And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,

53 And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

IMO Some main stream thinking Christians are looking for a seconding coming. Could these scriptures indicate it's already happened?

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 18, 2009 - 4:33AM #7
Merrill48

Dec 31, 2008 -- 10:46AM, Stardove wrote:

IMO Some main stream  thinking Christians are looking for a seconding coming. Could these  scriptures indicate it's already happened?

I agree with you on that one, Stardove! I am inching up to the belief that the Second Coming arrives whenever we help feed the hungry, visit the sick, work for release of the captives, clothe the naked, or do anything for "the least of these" (as you can tell, I'm a big fan or Matthew 25!)  My $0.02 - please adjust for your local currency...  Shalom, Merrill

Fixed quote from old platform

Moderated by Stardove on Sep 28, 2010 - 04:07PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 31, 2009 - 8:50PM #8
Kevinponeill
The Bible God couldn't compete with Iron:

Judges 1:19 And the LORD was with Judah; and he drave out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2010 - 4:17PM #9
Simonh

Have yet to hear any on Psalm 137:9

"Happy shall they be who take your little ones
   and dash them against the rock!"

I know it certainly ruined Boney M's career when the extended mix was released Wink

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2010 - 9:07PM #10
Iwantamotto

And they really should, particularly in South Carolina, a state with a weird fetish for drowning kids....

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook