Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View What's your favorite canonical Bible selection that is never preached upon?
4 years ago  ::  Aug 30, 2010 - 7:59PM #11
Phantasm

Luke 16:1-13 is a relatively rare one to be preached on.

The Shrewd Manager

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 28, 2010 - 11:06AM #12
smcisaac

Dec 1, 2008 -- 4:00PM, tawonda wrote:

I don't have a RCL handy, but something tells me the little story in Exodus where Moses hides behind a rock and catches a glimpse of the Almighty's backside has probably been left out of the cycle of OT lessons.;-) That might be an interesting concept to weave into a sermon!

It was preached in my church.

"Truth did not come into the world naked, but it came in types and images. The world will not receive truth in any other way."  Gospel of Philip, Logion 72

"Christ will regenerate all things; through Him all things will be purged, and return into eternal life. And when the Son shall deliver up the kingdom to the Father, all things will be God; that is, all things will still exist, but God will exist in them, and they will be full of Him." Fabius Manus Victorinus, c. 350 AD
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 02, 2010 - 6:29AM #13
Simonh

Aug 30, 2010 -- 7:59PM, Phantasm wrote:

Luke 16:1-13 is a relatively rare one to be preached on.

The Shrewd Manager

I preached on that two weeks ago Surprised

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 08, 2010 - 8:03PM #14
Substanceofthings

Hebrews 11!!

html_removed
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2010 - 8:22PM #15
Hatman
i've always been fond of the following passage, and have never heard anyone preach on it---and neither have i even HEARD of anyone to ever even mention it:

John 11:9-11 (American Standard Version)

9 Jesus answered, "Are there not twelve hours in the day? If a man walk in the day, he stumbleth not, because he seeth the light of this world.

10 But if a man walk in the night, he stumbleth, because the light is not in him."

To me, vs. 10 seems to hint that if a man DOES have the light in him, he CAN walk at night and not stumble...and certain mystics have written that on certain rare occasions, when the "beatific vision" is granted, all that is glows with a heavenly light, even at night.

Warmest regards-

Hatman
"History records that the moneychangers have used every form of abuse, deceit, intrigue, and violent means possible to maintain their control over governments by controlling money and it's issuance."
-- James Madison(1751-1836), Father of the Constitution for the USA, 4th US President
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 08, 2011 - 2:49PM #16
Cjbanning

I've definitely heard Hebrews 11 preached on; many times I think.

I don't know if it makes it into sermons or not, but the relationship between Lot and his daughters probably constitutes my favorite text of terror.

http://cjbanning.dreamwidth.org

"This is my prayer: that your love may overflow more and more with knowledge and full insight to help you to determine what is best." -- "St. Paul's" [deutero-Pauline] Epistle to the Philippians 1:9-10

"Come now, let us argue it out, says the LORD." -- First Isaiah 1:18
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jan 26, 2012 - 9:46AM #17
beaton

Ecclisiastes is summarily avoided for its "Eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow we die" theology.

The other that is ignored as it calls to Christians to be loving and gentle exemplars of the faith is the Fruits of the Spirit.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Feb 02, 2012 - 9:29PM #18
slate

Dec 8, 2010 -- 8:03PM, Substanceofthings wrote:

Hebrews 11!!

html_removed
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. 

Wow! I have been to a Pentecostal Church where that was the sermon three weeks running!

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook