5 years ago  ::  Oct 18, 2008 - 1:00PM #1
seekerdrd
If someone were to ask you to describe the basics of your faith in three minutes or less, what would be your answer?

David
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 18, 2008 - 9:36PM #2
mfjfarrell
Dia annseo isteach!
God to all here!

Hey David,

Good question!  For me, the answers are rather simple.  I follow Christ in the Ways of Spirituality of my ancestors.  From my ancestors I have learned:
- God is the Source and Sustainer of all Life, and He is Good.
- Christ is His lesson of Love for us to study to know Him better.
- His Spirit sustains all Creation and is part of our very being.
- Life is the River of His Love, we are within it and it is within us.
- Our purpose in this River is to learn to flow in His Love and give it to all we encounter so that we might learn true fellowship with Him for Eternity.

The process involves what I call the 'Three Harmonies'.  We must see Christ within us and be in harmony with how He made us.  We must see God for who He is and be in harmony with His plan for us.  We must see His Spirit within all mankind as beloved children of our common Father and share the Light so that they may see Christ within themselves and live in harmony with all men and creation.

The only key to accomplishing this... is to die each day! (still working on that one!)

Slan,
Marty
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 19, 2008 - 8:03PM #3
pio_child
Simple for me. My basis is 1) There is a God  2) I'm not him 3) I wouldn't be a good judge.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 21, 2008 - 11:33AM #4
seekerdrd
I'd like to thank both of you for your answers. Marty, I like the way you express yourself and I appreciate your willingness to proffer thoughts on all our discussions. Pio, I would agree with you and say that I, too, am not a good judge.

In answer to my own question, I would say that the basics of my faith are as follows:

God exists and works in and through all of creation.

God desires a relationship with us enough to die for it.

Through that death, what became flawed in creation is being transformed to perfection through love and light.

It is our job to live in such a way as to reflect that love and light, becoming God's beacons or signposts in so doing.

The way we do that job is to live our lives so that we do everything for God just as we would for our most cherished lover.

The way I personally do it, is to follow the examples given me by my Celtic ancestors.

David
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 21, 2008 - 1:02PM #5
mfjfarrell
Hey Dave.. Amen!
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 23, 2008 - 7:16AM #6
mfjfarrell
Dia annseo isteach!
God to all here!

Greetings all,

It is my custom to occasionally upload a devotional on CCS to help keep the theology and focus of our meditations.  Today as I was reading from Newell's 'Sounds of the Eternal', Thursday Morning Opening Prayer, I found this conformed pretty well to David's question.  I present it here for your consideration as well...

Opening Prayer

With you is the source of life, O God.
You are the beginning of all that is.
From your life the fire of the rising sun streams forth.
You are the life-flow of creation’s rivers,
the sap of blood in our veins,
earth’s fecundity,
the fruiting of trees,
creatures’ birthing,
the conception of new thought,
desire’s origin.
All these are of you, O God,
and I am of you.
You are the morning’s freshness.

May the Source of all Goodness and Light guide us through our day...

Slan,
Marty
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 24, 2008 - 12:59PM #7
seekerdrd
That's beautiful, Marty, and quite apropos. Thanks for sharing.

David
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 10, 2008 - 11:01PM #8
Liriodendron
This is a good question to think about.  I'm going to answer before I read anyone else's answer so I just using my own ideas.

I'd say that the first basic is that God is responcible for creating all the universe and loves it dearly. 

The second is that it is His Son is who connects us to God (that makes Him the most central thing) and somehow it was His dying and rising again that did it.  He also promised us eternal life.

The third is that His sends His Spirit to be in us.  This is the best gift of all and probably how Jesus gives us eternal life, because as long as God is in you how can you not be alive?
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook