Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View How is Celtic Christianity practised?
5 years ago  ::  Aug 21, 2009 - 4:41PM #21
Sadishappy

thanks!

What a great response.  And I think it's close to God's heart as well.  Function (so to speak) over form.  It's about how I've been living now but felt sort of homeless...

It's nice to know I'm not really homeless.  :-)

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 24, 2009 - 8:11AM #22
mfjfarrell

Dia annseo isteach!

God to all here!

Greetings Sad,

One of the hallmarks of Celtic Christians is being a scholar.  Yes, we are known as being people of Two Books, Bible and Creation.  Observation is a good thing and part of our daily ritual but study is also important to us.  We don't quite follow the harsh legalism of the Fundamentalists but we do 'study to show ourselves approved'!

Beyond those, there are many books on the market today about CC.  One of the best authors that I feel has captured the soul of CC is J. Philip Newell.  I'd like to recommend some of his books to you to help you on your own personal journey.  First you should read his 'Listening to the Heartbeat of God'.  It is a nice overview of what CC is about and gives you some of its backgrounds.  Also, and this may seem strange to you depending on your prayer style, are his two devotional books, 'Celtic Benediction' and 'Sounds of the Eternal'.  Both are excellent for the theology they present.  The focus of it is 'seeing' as Christ sees, then 'doing' as He would too!

In addition to Newell, I'd like to recommend John O'Donohue's 'Anam Cara'.  Many have read it and 'just didn't get it' but its still worth the read!  It took me several readings to get it all but it really helped in getting past my Evangelical background.  It made me feel as though I had come home to myself and be in Harmony with God.  For me, it was quite life-changing.

Thanks again for your questions and comments here, please feel free to continue as the need arises....

Slan,

Marty

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook