Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Celtic Music in Church
7 years ago  ::  May 06, 2008 - 3:35AM #1
Tassiecelt
Has anyone here had the experience of celtic instruments being used in church worship?
I refer to pipes (Irish or Scottish smallpipes) bodhran, whistle etc.

I once saw a video of a church service in Ireland that employed such instruments, what a wonderful time it seemed to be!

what about the history of instruments in early celtic worship? cannot say I have read much about that.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 07, 2008 - 6:28AM #2
mfjfarrell
Dia annseo isteach!
God to all here!

Greetings Graham,

In addition to what I write here today, you might want to look a little further down our list of previous topics to an earlier discussion on Celtic Christian Music.  In short, it does exist!  I think one of the watermarks of any movement is the existence of specific music!

While there are many groups and performers out there, style is still a matter of taste.  While I love the genre, I'm not happy with all of the groups!  What I would suggest to you is to go to an Internet radio service called Live365.  There are two stations there that are classed (sometimes marginally) as Celtic Christian.  Look for Celtic Christian Tunes and Celtic Christian Spirit.  These two stations will give a an idea of the wide range and styles of CC music.  Perhaps you can find some there that you may like to bring to your church worship group?

Thanks for joining us here, you've livened up the place again!

Slan,
Marty
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 07, 2008 - 8:06AM #3
Tassiecelt
Thanks Marty, I am very aware of Live365, Highlander Radio. I listen to it all day at work. I even upped my broadband and installed speakers through my workshop so I could hear it, love it!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 07, 2008 - 9:17AM #4
mfjfarrell
Hey Graham,

You might also be interested in another group on Yahoo!  Its called Celtic Christian Music.  Here's the link for you, http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Ce … tianMusic/  I'm there but not active!  Its a nice group of music enthusiasts!

Slan,
Marty
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 07, 2008 - 7:40PM #5
pIrish
When my family and I were vacationing in Canada one summer, we attended a Sunday morning service where all of the music was played with bagpipes. I liked it a lot and it was a wonderful change of pace.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 08, 2008 - 3:32AM #6
Tassiecelt
Wow, I hope all the congregation had strong voices to be heard over the pipes! (unless they were smallpipes or uilleanne pipes).
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 08, 2008 - 3:35AM #7
Tassiecelt
Thanks again Marty, sad to say..I've never had much joy with Yahoo forums, I find the format quite annoying, but I'll have a peek.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 08, 2008 - 6:54AM #8
mfjfarrell
Dia annseo isteach!
God to all here!

Greetings pIrish,

Were in you Nova Scotia when you were visiting this church?  There is a strong Scottish community there.   Its where the Rankin Family hails.

Slan,
Marty
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 13, 2008 - 3:49PM #9
pIrish

Tassiecelt wrote:

Wow, I hope all the congregation had strong voices to be heard over the pipes! (unless they were smallpipes or uilleanne pipes).

Just pipes. Any and all singing was done when the pipes weren't being played. :)

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 13, 2008 - 3:51PM #10
pIrish

mfjfarrell wrote:

Were in you Nova Scotia when you were visiting this church?

I have absolutely no idea. We spent two weeks traveling all the way around Nova Scotia and usually never strayed too far from shore. It's been so long since the trip, there's almost no way I could remember exactly where it was.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook