Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Celtic Music in Church
5 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2009 - 8:24PM #11
SmalltownJar

When I was in Dublin earlier this year, we visited a church where they played Celtic music. It was very beautiful and inspiring.

Because Christianity is such an integrated part of the Irish life, an underlying theme of Christianity seems to appear in a lot of Celtic music. Or so it seems to me. :)

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 22, 2009 - 11:28PM #12
Intotheblue

What a lovely topic...

The Christmas of 2007 or 2008, I forget which, a lady came to sing at my Irish Catholic church. She had the most gorgeous voice I've ever heard in person, like a female Andrea Bocceli. She sang my favorite Christmas song, "O Holy Night." I think it was accompanied by a harp. That's the closest I've come to hearing Celtic music in church, sadly. I would absolutely LOVE to hear it regularly! I bet my priest would be up for it, though I doubt the bishop would approve the purchase of instruments and all that. And I don't know if anyone in this small town actually knows how to play the instruments, ha... Oh well, it's moot, since I'm likely not going to church anymore anyway. :( But I can daydream about Celtic music being played in our beautiful church, I suppose... maybe someday...

Namaste.

.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."

"It is not our differences that divide us, but our inability to accept and celebrate those differences."
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 27, 2009 - 11:21AM #13
mfjfarrell

Dia annseo isteach!

God to all here!

Welcome Into the blue,

Always nice to meet others with a common interest in Christ!

As for Celtic Christian music, there is actually quite a lot of it!  Its not that popular on musical sites, except Live365.com, where there are 2 stations that play it.  Even some mainline Evangelical artists have dabbled in some of our songs.  But also we have artists that are justr specifically Celtic Christian artists.  Moya Brennan (Enya's sister), Annie Herring, Lianna Klassen, Troy Donockley, even Shiely Walsh and Michael Card!  There are a few groups as well, Iona and Eden's Bridge and the Northumbria group has an album of their songs too.  (I love Ania Haigh's voice!!!)  I think she might have some works out too.

There are several others with a few pieces but I think these are the major ones.  Good luck hunting for them if you are really interested!

Thanks for coming bye and sharing your thougths with us.  As you can see, its a sleepy group!

Slan,

Marty

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook