Page 1 of 13  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Next
Switch to Forum Live View being none judgemental and loving the person not the sin
6 years ago  ::  Jan 14, 2009 - 4:39PM #1
Godgirl
Here is my situation...everytime i see someone who sins (especialy a sin i dont like) not only do i resent the sin but i resent the person and i find that loving the person and hating the sin is almost imposible to do. I seem to not be able to keep from resenting and almost hating the person who sins. Certain sins bother me more than others...for instance fornication is a sin that i do not like, lieing, cheating and a lot of other sins i dont like while homosexualtiy is (according to somepeople a sin) something i am ok with. Certain sins just urk me more than others. Like if i see someone living with there boyfriend without being married...I am usualy infuriated with this sin and i start to despize the person. Unrepentance is what gets me the most...people who dont repent and keep living there life in sin bothers me as well. Its like some people just purposfuly give a middle finger sign to GOd because they dont care one bit that they are sinning. So i dont get the whole loving the person and hating the sin thing. It doesnt work for me. Even with my friends who all have sex outside of marriage even the one who calls herself a christian...AND SHE IS MY FRIEND...i cant help at times but to secretly hate her. Because she knows its wrong but DOESNT CARE! Also i cant help but be judgemental even if i keep it to myself. Some sins just seem to be a part of people and its almost imposible to seperate the sin from the person. Any sugestions for me or how you love the person but hate the sin sucessfuly? Here the thing I find it hard to have both hate and love in me at the same time. If i have hate...there is no love and if i have love...there is no hate. So how do you do the whole love the sinner but hate the sin?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 14, 2009 - 4:46PM #2
Godgirl
Now dont get me wrong i know that according to the christian bible...I am sinning because lately i havent been claiming Jesus as God...but even if i do not do this...i still believe in God the father and the concept of sin and repentance. SO before you guys call me out on this...i confess it up front. While alot of people take on there own spirituality...how do you enforce the wrongs of sin on people? In other words with alot of people taking on a different spirituality...how do you maintain with them that there is such thing as sin and that they shouldnt be doing it?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 14, 2009 - 5:41PM #3
birwin2229
[QUOTE=Godgirl;1019111]Now dont get me wrong i know that according to the christian bible...I am sinning because lately i havent been claiming Jesus as God...but even if i do not do this...i still believe in God the father and the concept of sin and repentance. SO before you guys call me out on this...i confess it up front. While alot of people take on there own spirituality...how do you enforce the wrongs of sin on people? In other words with alot of people taking on a different spirituality...how do you maintain with them that there is such thing as sin and that they shouldnt be doing it?[/QUOTE]

One of the problems associated with forgiveness is when we confuse it with excusing. By this I mean that when we see someone sin we are not told to think, Oh, that is all right. There must be a reason for what they did and find some excuse for their actions. No, we never condone or excuse a sin. Sin is sin by no other name. Then Jesus taught us in his prayer to pray forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us.' Our forgiveness relates directly to how we forgive others. Forgiveness is much larger than excusing! It is an act of admitting the seriousness of the sin but with God's help putting it behind us.and treating the person as forgiven. To say this was easy is to tell a lie. I think we all initially feel bad feelings towards the person who did the wrong but over time we accept them and move on. One thing I find helpful is to pray for the wrong-doer. This helps me lose my judgemental attitude towards them. Hope this is helpful.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 14, 2009 - 5:43PM #4
KatherineOrthodixie
[QUOTE=Godgirl;1019111].how do you enforce the wrongs of sin on people? In other words with alot of people taking on a different spirituality...how do you maintain with them that there is such thing as sin and that they shouldnt be doing it?[/QUOTE]

Simple. I don't enforce anything. God has not appointed me to the "Sin Police, " nor has He put me in charge of anyone else's life. If they ask for my help, I'll give it gladly. Or I might observe that what they are doing doesn't seem to make them happy.

I am the first of sinners. I confess it often, and every Sunday. Remember the parable of the Publican and the Pharisee?

The Jesus Prayer helps keep me honest: "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, be merciful to me, a sinner."
“The Law of the Church is to give oneself to what is given not to seek one’s own.” Fr. Alexander Schmemann
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 14, 2009 - 6:08PM #5
tawonda
Godgirl: You have a WHOLE lot going on in your two opening posts. I feel myself wanting to play catechism teacher here for awhile. But I wanted to address this point also:

While alot of people take on there own spirituality...how do you enforce the wrongs of sin on people? In other words with alot of people taking on a different spirituality...how do you maintain with them that there is such thing as sin and that they shouldnt be doing it?

It's not your job to enforce a sense of sin in other people. It's especially not your job if the people in question are not a part of the faith community. Scripture always talks about "church discipline" -- correcting people who are somehow dishonoring God/disrespecting themselves and other people -- in the context of a mutually accountable faith community. And even within a faith community there are protocols for handling that task that do not involve "freelance" policing of other people.

As Katherine notes, I think that paying attention to the own ways in which we ourselves disappoint God and disrespect other people, by what we do and what we don't do, should keep us so busy on an ongoing basis that we really don't have time to start "calling out" other people.

I have to run and do some errands right now, but in the interim could you answer a question for me? What, in your mind, does "sin" mean? What makes sin sin? I suspect that your answer is going to result in some long responses on my part.;-)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 14, 2009 - 6:48PM #6
Tmarie64
Godgirl... How very arrogant of you to think that you have any business telling anyone about their sins!  Your sin is arrogance and pride...  Among other things.
Here's a thought, keep your OWN doorstep clean and stop judging others. 
Your whole tone in the first two posts is sinful.  Shame on you.
James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 14, 2009 - 6:48PM #7
Godgirl
I believe that everything in the bible is sin except homosexuality. I m not sure why.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 14, 2009 - 6:51PM #8
Godgirl
So i come here for help and you shun me?
You wrote: "Godgirl... How very arrogant of you to think that you have any business telling anyone about their sins! Your sin is arrogance and pride... Among other things.
Here's a thought, keep your OWN doorstep clean and stop judging others.
Your whole tone in the first two posts is sinful. Shame on you."
I dont have arogance and pride...I usualy keep my judgemental attitudes to myself even though i want to express them.
So your perfect are you?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 14, 2009 - 6:52PM #9
Tmarie64
Then why are you gossiping?  Carrying tales?   You can't pick and choose either.  The bible says not to "lay with a man as you would a woman"...  Who are YOU to decide that some things are sins but not others?
James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 14, 2009 - 6:55PM #10
Godgirl
Because the psychological association along with other medical feilds say that homosexuality is natural and normal. I dont come on these forums going around thinking im perfect, i dont. I even question the bible and Jesus and everything. However i still believe in the concept of right and wrong (sin.) Just leave me alone if you dont want to help me in a loving way.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 13  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook