Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 2 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Q&A for the Celtic Way!
10 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2008 - 6:48PM #11
mfjfarrell
Dia annseo isteach!
God to all here!

Dia dhuit a Diarmuid,

Thanks for stopping bye!  The Céili Dé were actually, reformers sent to clean up some of the last Celtic Christian monasteries.  I know that there are groups that use that term but it really depends on what their particular doctrines are.  I realize it can be confusing but historically, that's what they were.

As for modern Celtic Christianity, we are a group of people trying to live our lives according to the understandings of our Celtic ancestors.  Early Christianity, before the Roman unification, had distinct flavors.  In the Celtic lands, it took on a great affinity for Nature and the Cycle of life.  Of course, it was Christian and saw the Source for all life as Christ now.  While we revere Nature it is Christ who gives us all Being.  Therein, we would differ with Celtic Paganism, or any paganism for that matter.

Thanks again for coming bye, please feel free to pose any further questions if you're interested in CC...

Slán,
Marty
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Apr 20, 2008 - 8:25PM #12
Diarmuid
Yes, the belief in Christ is still the differing factor between my friend's beliefs and mine, but like you said, the reverence for nature is where we seem to be not so differing. I should have phrased that better before.
Thank you for the answer. I probably will have a question here and there in the future.

Slán agus beannacht leat,
Diarmuid
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Apr 22, 2008 - 5:31PM #13
mumsy5
I believe, after reading through some of the threads here I have a bit of an understanding of what you are saying Celtic Christianity is.  I do have a question though.  Do you do the stuff...and by the stuff I am referring to what Jesus did....Do you heal the sick, cast out demons and raise the dead?
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Apr 22, 2008 - 6:39PM #14
mfjfarrell
Dia annseo isteach!
God to all here!

Greetings Mumsy,

Thank you for stopping bye and checking us out!  Please feel welcomed to come bye any time.

While 'signs & wonders' have been a part of the 'vitae' of many of the Celtic Saints of old, modern CC is directed more on a life of the Harmony which Christ seeks within all mankind.  I have been part of healings but never raising the dead.  He has given me Understanding in times of ministering to damaged hearts.  He has allowed me to see the 'child within' as He sees us in many of the people He has brought into each day. 

We do not believe in 'commanding' God to serve our will but rather to seek His design in any situation where He desires us to minister.  As I'm sure you already know, this requires the death of 'self' before we are of any use to Him.  It is about a life conformed to His Will, rather than seeking our own.  In doing so, we discover Him in others and everything around us.

Thanks again for your concerns and questions.  I hope I have given you some clarity as to our beliefs...

Slan,
Marty
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Apr 23, 2008 - 9:33AM #15
mumsy5
Cool.  Thank you for your answer Marty.  It clarified my understanding more.  I think I'm pretty much on the same spiritual "wavelength", I just don't identify myself as anything other than a Christian  -  lover of God, follower of Christ, and a seeker of the Holy Spirit's leading.  My faith is the air I breath.  I tend to be attracted to Christian celtic music.  It tends to stir my soul as it is more earthy, from the gut and the spirit.  I also tend to find it easier to "listen" to God outside in the beauty of His Creation.  Indeed, the very rocks cry out!  My prayer sanctuary is small clearing in a patch of woods on our property.

If I am reading here correctly, Celtic Christians worship the Creator, not the Creation as opposed to pagans who worship the creation.  Is that correct?
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Apr 23, 2008 - 10:27AM #16
mfjfarrell
Dia annseo isteach!
God to all here!

Greetings Mumsy,

You are correct about Christ as our focus of worship and fellowship rather than His Creation.  While we reverence the Word of God, we don't worship it!  While we reverence Creation, we don't worship it either!  Yet, we use both to learn of Him!

The writings of John are especially dear to us since they reflect the thoughts we hold dear, God is Light (Life)!  We look for that Light in everything around us and seek to come into Harmony with Him in our surroundings.  From what you shared, it seems you already understand this.  Nature is His "Church without walls", be it the mountains or, in my case, the open sea.  He is within all who have Life, even those sitting in the pews beside us!

I'd agree, there is something special about Celtic Christian music.  Even some of the 'older' contemporary artists have discovered this and it has influenced their work. (Sheila Walsh, John Talbot, Robin Mark, Joanna Hog, Michelle Tumes and even Michael W. Smith)  There are also several CC groups who are more unique to this style of music.

From where most of us stand now, we are simply Christians too!  Actually, we believe we have found what Christianity was about before it became 'institutionalized'.  It is the Christianity as perceived by the Celtic peoples of Western Europe.  Strongly influenced by the original orthodox understandings but reflecting the understandings of Harmony with Nature the Celts had always held to.  Yet, we do not seek to set ourselves apart and become another denomination.  We are still within our former churches but with a new heart of understanding of the task and calling He has given us.  It is more about our personal journey of obedience and service than about being 'different'!

If you already feel that call, perhaps He has called you too?  May He continue to lead you in all you do...

Slan,
Marty
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Apr 27, 2008 - 2:06PM #17
Diarmuid
[QUOTE=mumsy5;453473]If I am reading here correctly, Celtic Christians worship the Creator, not the Creation as opposed to pagans who worship the creation.  Is that correct?[/QUOTE]

Um...just so you have a better understanding, Pagans don't worship the "creation". A common misconception is that we are running around the woods praying to trees and rocks. Understand that we do see nature as sacred, but not something worthy of something so strong as worship. We worship our Gods, not their creations, though we believe the Gods may be present within nature, nature is not the Gods themselves.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Apr 28, 2008 - 9:34AM #18
mumsy5
I don't want to get into a debate here....however, just to clarify,  I do believe it depends on what specific wing of paganism ...I have had experience with pagans who do pray to trees, the moon, and try to spiritually connect with their pets....

I was trying to inquire here whether or not this was a practice of Celtic Christians.  I didn't believe it to be but I wanted it clarified.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Apr 28, 2008 - 9:34AM #19
mumsy5
I don't want to get into a debate here....however, just to clarify,  I do believe it depends on what specific wing of paganism ...I have had experience with pagans who do pray to trees, the moon, and try to spiritually connect with their pets....

I was trying to inquire here whether or not this was a practice of Celtic Christians.  I didn't believe it to be but I wanted it clarified.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Apr 28, 2008 - 5:32PM #20
Diarmuid
[QUOTE=mumsy5;461748]I don't want to get into a debate here....however, just to clarify,  I do believe it depends on what specific wing of paganism ...I have had experience with pagans who do pray to trees, the moon, and try to spiritually connect with their pets....

I was trying to inquire here whether or not this was a practice of Celtic Christians.  I didn't believe it to be but I wanted it clarified.[/QUOTE]

Oh, sorry. I never meant to debate, just saying. Worship means something like adoration or paying homage to. That is a little strong for the majority of Pagans.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook