Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Q&A for the Celtic Way!
6 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2008 - 8:03AM #1
mfjfarrell
Dia annseo isteach!
God to all here!

Greetings all,

I'm starting this thread because I realize today, that while everything we believe is contained in our posts through out this category, they require a good deal of searching to find them!  If you're new to the Celtic Way, please feel free to ask any questions here and that will help others who find their way here later.  It might be a good place for newbie's to start!?  Thanks in advance for joining us...

Slan,
Marty
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2008 - 1:25PM #2
steve123
Hello Marty,

I'm interested.  I especially like Celtic music and feel a real peace listening to it.  I just had a few questions.  Is Celtic Christianity Roman Catholic or is it entirely based on another branch of Christendom?  Also, what time does Celtic Christianity have its beginnings, middle ages, Roman Empire, earlier?  Finally, what sources on the web are good starting places to learn more about Celtic Christianity?

Thanks and God Bless,

Steve
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2008 - 4:43PM #3
mfjfarrell
Greetings Steve,

Celtic Christianity is part of the Earliest days of the Church.  As the first missionaries spread the word of Christ, the peoples of various lands where it was preached responded within their own understandings.  In the Celtic lands, Nature was always seen as inherently good and the task of life was to live in Harmony with it.  There was no concept of Law or sin applied to their religious thinking.  This was very different from the Hebrew-Greek-Roman concept as God as a covenant and contract.

The arrival of Christianity is almost impossible to determine in these places, especially in Ireland, the farthest reaches at this time.  St. Patrick was sent there in the 5th century and the Synod of Whitby met in the 7th.  This was a distinctive time for Celtic Christians.  CC continued on after this time into the Early Middle Ages but was eventually absorbed into the Western Church centered in Rome.  In the 11th Century, the Eastern and Western churches experienced a schism and formed the Orthodox and Catholic churches of today.

While all three sects, Catholic, Orthodox and Protestant make claims of CC being in line with their thinking, actually, it is the reverse that is more true.  None of these Churches existed at the time of CC!  It was part of the Earliest Church!  Yet, there is a good deal of harmony in CC to discover some similarities to all three traditions...  It more rightly is a reflection of the Celtic mindset in its understanding of the Christ of Creation.

Yes, Celtic Music speaks to the soul!  There is even a category of Celtic Christian music which we have discussed here before in other threads.  If you have a Live 365 subscription, you can find two stations there dedicated to CC music, CC Tunes and CC Spirit.  There are several excellent performers and musicians in the genre.

Well, good questions!  Feel free to come back for more!

Slan,
Marty
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2008 - 3:43PM #4
Phantasm
I'm 3/4ths German and 1/4 Swiss.  Can I still join Celtic Christianity?

:)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2008 - 4:12PM #5
mfjfarrell
Hey David,

Hmmm... 3/4 & 1/4... Well.. the original Celts were from Hallestat!  As long as the Source of All Life has called you, be welcomed!

Slan,
Marty
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2008 - 4:52PM #6
Phantasm
I'm just pulling your leg.....
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 05, 2008 - 12:31PM #7
steve123
Thanks, mjffarrell,

That was very informative.

God Bless,

Steve
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2008 - 10:17AM #8
BCDude2012
As a young adult, I want to grow the quickest in the path of CC so that I may raise my family in a CC home.

I am NOT Catholic (no problems with Catholics, I am just not one of them), so I want a Protestant form of CC.  I do realize that CC was before all these, but I am not sure how to be successful as a CC if I have to hold to the Eucharist, liturgy, and the Deity of Mary.  I want a "Protestant" form of CC.

Thank you for your help and peace be with you

Your Brother

Marick
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2008 - 12:55PM #9
mfjfarrell
Dia annseo isteach!
God to all here!

Greetings,

Since you posted your request in several places, I will just supply a link to my answer for you on CCS.  http://www.quicktopic.com/31/H/ACD32UG6jYw/m4892  Feel free to continue the discussion in either site if you have more questions!

Slan,
Marty
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2008 - 5:32PM #10
Diarmuid
Is this similar to the Céli Dé christianity? I know someone who is, and though it is Christian, it has many similarities to Gaelic Paganism (which is my religion), and doesn't seem to clash with it as much as other denominations.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook