Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4
Switch to Forum Live View Q&A for the Celtic Way!
6 years ago  ::  Feb 10, 2009 - 1:14AM #31
john1512
I think I misspoke when I said discussions "raging", what I was really thinking of was closer to discussions "flourishing".  I'm sure you're right and there are forums on BN and elsewhere with plenty of discussions raging on about topics like abortion and evolution.  Although this forum seems pretty quiet, there do seem to be some discussions "flourishing" on CCS, both on topic and off topic (which much of the time are more interesting than debating minor theological points).

John
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 10, 2009 - 7:34AM #32
mfjfarrell
Dia annseo isteach!
God to all here!

Hey John,

To a moderator, 'flourishing' and 'raging' are both appreciated!  The only 'objectionable' thing is 'no opinion'!  In church conformity of doctrine might help with whatever form of worship people follow but in a discussion group, diversity keeps the board alive.  Yet, apathy is a killer to both!

I'm glad you are appreciating the exchange at CCS.  Disagreements tend to make some shy away, for me, I've watched those who endured become stronger and bolder in their faith.  I never expect to convert anyone, as I'm sure you can see, merely challenge them into rethinking their position.  I'm enjoying seeing others stepping out and addressing issues presented.  Again, feel free to offer any opinions there as well...

Slan,
Marty
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 12, 2009 - 1:20PM #33
Liriodendron
To David and John about following CC without a church:

I'm certainly not insisting that people go to church, but it seems like you would be missing out on the human connection. 

I rarely get much benefit out of my churches service or preaching (though oddly I did last Sunday); however I am so fond of the people that I would feel that I had abandoned them if I quit going.  I do get exasperated in my Sunday school at some who are so into fundimentalism (politics, end times and creationism), but I appreciate them as people -plus not all my class feels that way. 

The important thing to me is having people to share your loads with, help, be helped by, get together and help others, pray for and with. 

I suppose it would not have to be in a formal church setting.  If you just got to know and help your neighbors the same thing would happen and you may also discover some spiritual kindship.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 13, 2009 - 12:07PM #34
seekerdrd

Liriodendron wrote:

I'm certainly not insisting that people go to church, but it seems like you would be missing out on the human connection. 

I rarely get much benefit out of my churches service or preaching (though oddly I did last Sunday); however I am so fond of the people that I would feel that I had abandoned them if I quit going.  I do get exasperated in my Sunday school at some who are so into fundimentalism (politics, end times and creationism), but I appreciate them as people -plus not all my class feels that way. 

The important thing to me is having people to share your loads with, help, be helped by, get together and help others, pray for and with. 

I suppose it would not have to be in a formal church setting.  If you just got to know and help your neighbors the same thing would happen and you may also discover some spiritual kindship.

I understand what you are saying, and i thank you for your concern. I rarely get to go to church because of my disability and lack of transportation, so for me, my spiritual connection has had to be online in many cases. i do have a group of close friends with whom I share my struggles. Some are Christian, others are not. Some are close by and we occasionally get together for face to face time, others have moved away. I think that if i could find the right place and had transportation, I would go more often, especially for my son's sake. For now, though, i have found that a spiritual walk can be done without formal church. It is hard sometimes and requires discipline, but it can be done. Thank you so much for being a part of my extended spiritual family. Thank you also for caring enough to state your concerns.

Much love and peace,
David

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 13, 2009 - 11:15PM #35
john1512

Liriodendron wrote:

Yes, I could see going for the human connection.  If I already had been going to a church regularly, or if my wife went regularly I would probably go, but my wife is kind of a "spiritual not religious" person and we've never gotten in the habit of going regularly.  We have friends and family to share our loads, although most of them are either non-religious or just seem to go to church out of habit, without much spiritual involvement.  Although it's not the same as "real life", I  am glad to have found some people online with similar beliefs to share some fellowship and kinship.

John

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 14, 2009 - 7:35PM #36
Liriodendron
Yes...  I think that what I am saying is an ideal that doesn't always exist.  For one thing, it is quite possible to go to church and not make those connections I am talking about.  It took me a long time, like nearly 10 years, to FEEL connected although I'm sure some of the people would have come to my aid before that if needed.

When I read about historic Celtic Christianity, I keep reading about "communities" of monks; so I do think CC was a lot about fellowship and walking a path together.  It's really sad that that is so hard in this day and society.  And I also appreciate the internet for the chance it gives to share thoughts.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 02, 2009 - 1:48PM #37
Fraserlover

What do CC think of the Bible?  Is it God's inerrant word.  What about being born a sinner or original sin?  I've been lurking on these  CC pages and printed  the liturgy from celticsynod.org.  I've also got a place hold on a book by J Philip Newell.  From what I'm learning so far I'm feeling drawn to CC.  My family did migrate from Ireland and Scotland to the Appalachia Mountains in the 1700's.  I'm wondering if that's why I'm being pulled to CC.

Thanks

Julie

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2009 - 5:53PM #38
mfjfarrell

Dia annseo isteach!

God to all here!

Greetings Julie and Welcome,

Regarding the Bible, of course we hold it as a revelation of God!  We study it and use it in our daily lives as well as you.  We also believe that God revealed Himself in His Creation and everything that has life reflects the Light of His presence.  You may have heard us refer to 'thin places', they are places in nature were we 'feel' close to God, to the 'Other'.  We hold God as the Source (present time) of all that has life and strive to see Him within Nature and all Mankind.

Regarding 'original sin', that was hotly debated in the Early Church and rejected by the Eastern Christians as well as the Celts.  With it, Rome became the vehicle for salvation rather than a relationship with Christ.  Later, in the Reformation, the Protestants continued that unscriptural belief right down to this present day.  I really know how difficult it is to stop thinking in the Roman way!  Many stumble over this issue and fight fiercely for mankind's corruption.  We are flawed, granted that, but not corrupt!  We look for the Light within all souls and strive to bring them into harmony with Christ.

J.Philip Newell is one of the leading scholars of CC and has an excellent reputation for his prayers and understandings of the Early Celtic Christians.  John O'Donohue's book, 'Anam Cara', although difficult at first reading, is another excellent way of understanding the Celtic Way.  If you grasp the dynamism of their words, your life will be changed.

As for your 'leading'/'pulling', I think you know the scriptures as well as I, God is moving in you!  The Celtic Way is a journey, not a destination.  It is a way of life in service to the Holy Spirit, not to be good in our own strength, but to BE Him to others.  The only way to accomplish that task is to die to our 'self' and become in harmony with the true self empowered by His presence in our life.

In the meantime, we are here to assist your journey, your leading.  May God grant you the eyes to see and the ears to hear His plan for your life...

Slan,

Marty

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook