Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
6 years ago  ::  Aug 18, 2008 - 11:08AM #1
bvarnell
So, I was wondering what church you go to? (Lutheran, Anglican/Episcopal, Presbyterian, etc)? Do you find that Church to be very progressive?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 18, 2008 - 1:06PM #2
bigbear6161
Hi,
I think I've answered you before on the very same question but perhaps I am confusing you with another poster.  No problem.  Here it goes.  I attend the Catholic Church.  The leadership of this church tends to be traditionalist, at least for now.  However, many theologians within the Catholic Church are quite progressive.  Two or three jump out:  Crosson, Kung and Schillebex.  There is also a whole group known as Liberation Theologians: Guttierez, etc.  One of the greatest progressive forces in America was the founder of the Catholic Worker movement Dorothy Day.  Further, the laity is chock full of progressives like myself who value our beloved Church but recognize the need for a re-imaging in a progressive manner.  The main impediment at the time is the anachronistic doctrine of the Infallibility of the Church and the Infallibility of the Pope.  Once these are cleared away I believe you will see a significant shift toward the progressive direction.  Hope this helps.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 18, 2008 - 2:24PM #3
grampawombat
I am a member of a Presbyterian congregation that is part of the PCUSA, the largest Presbyterian denomination in the US. My congregation is very progressive, and supports all of the peace and justice initiatives that I am aware of. From my point of view, the denomination is still dominated by anti-progressives. However, those attending the last biennial denomination-wide meeting (the General Assembly) voted to move in a direction that may lead to greater acceptance of LGBT people (but I'm not holding my breath).
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 18, 2008 - 4:25PM #4
tawonda
I attend an ELCA congregation where I also serve as part of a lay ministry team.

Parish-wise, our people are all over the map theologically -- everyone from a cantankerous ex-RCC seminarian who loves John Spong to very conservative, "The Bible says it, I believe it, that settles it" types. Our pastor is very progressive theologically, but doesn't push that envelope too much in the course of Sunday worship. As he notes, "The church works better when people aren't fighting all the time"; his m.o. is to provide enough room, as it were, to accomodate people in different places along their faith journey.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 18, 2008 - 6:25PM #5
AppleMan
I am in a Presbyterian church (PCUSA).
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2008 - 11:24PM #6
devout_sinner
I'm an Episcopalian.  Like any mainline denomination, there are a variety of political and theological views.  My own parish is Anglo-Catholic and probably skewed to the left politically though we have a few old school moderate, and even conservative, Republicans among us.  We are certainly gay friendly.  We take The Creeds seriously, but we leave room for individual expression.  In other words, we are a diverse, tolerant community. 

Is that progressive?

Peace,

Jeff
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 20, 2008 - 7:58PM #7
Annifirst
I am a member of the United Church of Christ in a fairly large city in the southwest.  Our previous pastor might have called himself progressive, but, like the pastor mentioned above, he took a more conservative stance in the pulpit.  The congregation runs the gamut from fairly conservative to progressive.  We are in the process of calling a new pastor, and I do not know if new leadership will change the general feel of the church.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 20, 2008 - 11:38PM #8
birwin4
I am an Australian Anglican. We run the whole gamut from conservative to progressive but I do not find rabid fundamentalists among us. Half our group boycotted the Lambeth Conference and attended the Jerusalem meetings and half went alongto Lambeth. I sometimes think that these terms are very misleading and are similar to the wrongly identified high and low church among Anglicans.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 21, 2008 - 7:47AM #9
bob2
I participate in a Christian study group at my Universalist (Unitarian Universalist) church.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 05, 2008 - 7:18PM #10
CyrusOfPersia
I belong to a kinda Baptist church, where i was minister for some years. Because of my time limits with secular work, and because of my views, i did not put my candidature up, so we got new minister last year. Although some of our boards didn't mind of my different views from traditional Christianity (for example, i believe that God forgives our sins when we repent, and does not need His Son as a blood-sacrifice for that), i still thought that it's the best.

Unfortunately i'm not very active right now (only preaching time-to-time). In overall we have both conservative and open minded people in our church, so although we are not officially into Progressive Christianity, in essence we are more progressive than many other Baptist churches here in our union (in Estonia).
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook