Page 3 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Posession and Exorcism?
7 years ago  ::  Feb 03, 2008 - 10:40PM #21
Iwantamotto
[QUOTE=Apishapa]What I  said was, I was a prayer warrior during the deliverance of a person who had been involved in witchcraft and wanted to be delivered.   

It was not a "melodramatic stage show," as you stated.  I believe there were six people the priest asked to pray while he was delivering the person.

Like I said, I was unclear.  It was just a question.

All that I share in these Posts it to help other Christians, for the Praise, Honor and Glory of God.  You are free to accept or reject.

Very well.  I equate most exorcisms with faith healing.  Useful for entertainment and probably helpful for those for whom traditional therapies are unhelpful.  I must be honest, I'd probably be accused of being possessed.  Just for fun, I'd make Reagan from the Exorcist look like an amateur.  Just to see the shocked look on people's faces.  I just don't fear Satan that much.  He's just a whiny little weasel to me.

A priest knowledgable in deliverance and healing ministries, has said that "Christians unwittingly get involved in the occult seeking 'knowledge or power'  from any source other than God, when the kind of knowledge or power sought can come only from God."   

If what I have shared has helped "one" person to "repent, renounce any occult activities, and forgive those who have injured him,"   I   Praise God![/QUOTE]
If you seek, you shall find, I bet.  God made all those "other" people too.  A part of Him is within all of us, pagan or not.  I doubt that people who seek information from "other sources than God" do so unwittingly.  I remember a story a classmate of mine said many years ago in middle school:  she played Dungeons & Dragons at a movie theater (it was an arcade game).  She was told by her religious group that it was of the devil and she said she didn't know.  Got the same type stories about Smurfs.  Those are the only "unwitting" stories I can think of (and they're both really ridiculous).  If you go into a person's house and find crystals and tarot and witchcraft books/movies/etc ... how "unwitting" was their search?  That's a lot of money to be spending on an "innocent mistake".  People probably tell that priest it was unintentional to stave off his obligatory threats of hellfire and damnation.

You, too, have a choice of accepting my next words:  Lighten up on pagans.  Most of your religion is a collection of renamed pagan concepts/rituals/etc.  There is not a single thing you could tell me about Christianity that cannot be found elsewhere.

Of course, you don't have to.  You're obviously not a Progressive (Liberal) Christian.  I don't want to tell you to leave, since as a Christian I don't like excluding others just because of some labeling issues.  But if you find yourself in the minority here, that's why.  Christian-to-Christian or the debate forums would better match.  However, as a matter of principle, I personally won't tell you to leave here.  Only those with authority on those matters can do so.

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 04, 2008 - 7:15PM #22
Apishapa
"Lighten up on pagans"   

What have I said about "pagans?"     

If what I've shared on this Thread offends you or others, In trying to help "Christians" understand what I have seen and experienced in praying for people that have been involved in seeking power or knowledge from sources other than God---I'm sorry. 

Praise God!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 04, 2008 - 8:59PM #23
steve220
[QUOTE=MatisyahuSk8er;251612]I've always had trouble believing in this but there is that story in the Bible where Jesus pulls the demons out of one guy and sends them into pigs(I personally find that to be really cruel) while I know that a lot of what's in the Bible is allegory I just can't seem to understand what way we're supposed to take that story other than literally. I don't like believeing in it and don't want to but it's like I feel it's a requirement you know.[/QUOTE]

One theory that I heard was that the demons possessing the Garasene demoniac, named "Legion", represented the 10th Legion of Rome, whose symbols included a pig, hence the 2000 pigs.

I believe the author's theory (whose name I cannot remember), argued that Mark's gospel was written during or right after the Jewish War and expected Jesus to return and kick out the Romans like they thought he would the first time around (note that pigs are unfit for Jewish consumption).

Alternatively, you could apply this more generally to Marcus Borg's subversive idea of the authority of Jesus supplanting the authority of the Roman Empire (and political oppression in general). 

Demon possession doesn't really fit into my world-view either.  It's just another one of those things I have to find a plausible explanation for.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 05, 2008 - 11:36AM #24
chris_lg
I'd venture to say that most of us here believe that Wicca is a valid belief system offering a wholesome interpretation of the Divine Mystery. Those who seek answers there are just fine and don't need intervention from  "warriors". There may be some who are involved in less wholesome cult activity who could benefit from some realtiy checking, but one has to be careful about overstepping the boundries of personal rights to make life decisions, even wrong or dangerous ones.

Progressives IMO, pretty much believe that God is God no matter what you call Him/Her/It, so there's no need to exorcise anyone who practices a religion other than Christianity unwittingly or not.

Anyone who is not a Progressive Christian who wants to learn more about us is welcome to visit and have friendly discussions with us in that vein. Our brand of Christianity is a bit different from the mainstream and very different from conservative factions. If you want to learn more, stick around.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 05, 2008 - 11:39AM #25
chris_lg
Sorry,  I should; have said the Discuss Progressive Christians Board was the best place to do this.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 06, 2008 - 1:25PM #26
Stardove

MatisyahuSk8er wrote:

Do we really have to believe in this? I know it appears in the Bible but... I just can't see why God would let this happen to someone. It's things like this that really turn me off from Christianity at times you know. I want to hang on to it but I don't want to believe in this. What do I do?

IMO. No, we do not have to believe in possession in the sense of evil (live ~backwards) spirits. I do not believe in the devil (lived ~ backward mode of living) either. I do believe that when human beings cross over they sometimes do not understand they are dead and could possibly linger in the astral plane which is the spiritual plane closest to us.

So in some cases these lost souls, meaning they don't realize they are no longer in the physical could be quite a bother to those in the living. Some people (mediums) will allow spirit to channel (speak) through them. So I believe it could be possible for a lost spirit (as in a human being) take over a a living person and one might believe in possession of an evil spirit send by the devil himself. I do believe this is a possibility, but don't believe in possession in the traditional sense of an evil being. If a person was bad in life, I doubt they change too much after death if they linger in the astral plane.

To Apishapa, before posting here a second time, I sent you a message explaining why I removed the posts. There are differences in Christians, and the way we think and believe.

Even Progressive Christians might not agree on every little thing, but in general their beliefs do not line up with those Christians that consider themselves Born Again Christians. Beliefnet has set up the Faith Communities as a place for like minded people to gather and the Discussions, Dialogues, Debate forums are open to all members. That is about as clear as I can make myself.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 11, 2008 - 7:50PM #27
TanyaZhadan
[QUOTE=MatisyahuSk8er;250182]Do we really have to believe in this?
I know it appears in the Bible but... [/QUOTE]
"This sphere requires serious researches"
Nikolay Dolgorukiy

Link: Exorcism. Video.
Healer, exorcist Nikolay Dolgorukiy (Zaporozhye, Ukraine)

[QUOTE=MatisyahuSk8er;250182]I just can't see why God would let this happen to someone. [/QUOTE]
Because that person breaks 10 Rules.

[QUOTE=MatisyahuSk8er;250182]It's things like this that really turn me off from Christianity at times you know[/QUOTE]
Exorcism in Islam video http://www.islam-universe.com/Exorcism. … ideo_clips
Another links: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exorcism#External_links
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 12, 2008 - 7:58AM #28
BetteTheRedde

TanyaZhadan wrote:

[...]Because that person breaks 10 Rules.[...]

10 rules? Would that be the 10 Commandments?

Godde love us, but there's some strange philosophies out there...

"Sometimes they are referred to as the 'radical Right.' But the fact is that there is nothing radical about them. They offer no novel solutions to the problems that plague them; indeed, they offer no solutions at all. They are immensely discontented with things as they are and furiously impatient with almost everyone in public office who can in any way be held responsible for their frustrations. But it cannot be said that they hold any clearly stated objectives or have any specific program either in common or individuals. They are fundamentally and temperamentally 'aginners.' And perhaps the commonest characteristic among them is anger. They can fairly be called, if nothing else, the Rampageous Right."

Alan Barth, New York Times, November 26, 1961
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 12, 2008 - 11:05PM #29
Geocorona
People do get possessed. They get possessed by delusions, obsessions, bad ideas, brain traumas & diseases, horrid environments, etc.

They just don't get possessed by disembodied ghosts or other ethereal beings flitting about on the breeze.

Would an exorcism help? Maybe, but probably not in most cases.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 13, 2008 - 8:40PM #30
chris_lg
Good answer, Geo.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook