Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Progressive Christianity with a Catholic Flavor
7 years ago  ::  Jan 02, 2008 - 9:16PM #1
bigbear6161
Hello everyone.  I am new to Beliefnet and found my way onto the progressive Christianity forum. after the Belief'omatic rated me as a Liberal Protestant.  In fact, I identify myself as a Catholic, albeit a liberal one.  I only scored 43% on Catholic but 90% Liberal Protestant.  Anyway,  I am most impressed by the approach to Christianity I have read here so far.  I am asking 1)Is there a difference between Progressive Christian and Liberal Protestant? and 2) Would Catholics like myself be counted as Progressive Christians too?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 02, 2008 - 11:01PM #2
AppleMan
Welcome!

One of my favorite progressive writers is John Dominic Crossan, who is Catholic, although I am not sure if the Catholic Church claims him these days.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 03, 2008 - 6:30PM #3
Iwantamotto
I would guess that, no matter what denomination you are, if your heart is progressive and you are Christian ... then you are a Progressive Christian.
Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 03, 2008 - 7:15PM #4
mattchapter25
Depends what you mean by Progressive or Catholic or Christian. The martyred Archbishop of El Salvador Servant of God Oscar Romero was certainly a candidate for all three labels. The Claretians seem fairly progressive too, http://salt.claretianpubs.org/ or http://uscatholic.claretians.org/site/P … c_homepage
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 04, 2008 - 5:26PM #5
mattchapter25
The more Oscar Romero witnessed happening the more he bore witness to Christ crucified in the bodies of the Salvadoran poor. As a Christian he grew in holiness and understanding as he travelled on his journey towards the assassins bullets. He is not to be blamed for being small at the beginning but praised for being a giant at the end.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 04, 2008 - 8:37PM #6
mattchapter25
At Puebla in 1979 the Servant of God John Paul II said-

In the face of the poor I see the face of Christ. In the life of the poor I see reflected the life of Christ. In turn, the poor and those discriminated against identify more easily with Christ, for in him they discover one of their own.

Jesus said that in the final analysis he will identify himself with the disinherited -- the sick, the imprisoned, the hungry, the lonely -- who have been given a helping hand.

Keep Jesus in your hearts and you will recognize his face in every human being You will want to help him out in all his needs: the needs of your brothers and sisters.

This is the way to prepare ourselves to meet Jesus when he will come again, on the last day, as the Judge of the living and the dead.

But don't let that stop your anti-Catholic rant.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 04, 2008 - 8:37PM #7
mattchapter25
At Puebla in 1979 the Servant of God John Paul II said-

In the face of the poor I see the face of Christ. In the life of the poor I see reflected the life of Christ. In turn, the poor and those discriminated against identify more easily with Christ, for in him they discover one of their own.

Jesus said that in the final analysis he will identify himself with the disinherited -- the sick, the imprisoned, the hungry, the lonely -- who have been given a helping hand.

Keep Jesus in your hearts and you will recognize his face in every human being You will want to help him out in all his needs: the needs of your brothers and sisters.

This is the way to prepare ourselves to meet Jesus when he will come again, on the last day, as the Judge of the living and the dead.

But don't let that stop your anti-Catholic rant.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 05, 2008 - 11:51AM #8
bigbear6161
New Friends,
I started this thread because I was hoping to learn about ways the Catholic - Protestant divide (and evidently it is wider than I thought) could be bridged by appealing to a common progressive interpretation of the Christian message.  So let's get back to a discussion of common trends and how perhaps, the old Catholic-Protestant split may be fading to be replaced by a more accurate Progressive - Traditionalist split.  I'm thinking of something like how the Jesus seminar scholars include prominent Catholic and Protestant voices.  One of the posters mentioned Crossan.  As far as I know he is still a Catholic but left the priesthood to marry.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 05, 2008 - 12:56PM #9
Apishapa
bigbear6161   

I'm not sure about the titles you quoted above, "progressive," or "liberal," Catholic & Protestant, however,  I consider myself a born-again Roman Catholic Christian. 

I am a member of an interdenominational/international group, The Order of St. Luke the Physician.  Members from the different denominations meet and study scripture, and hold Healing Services in different denominational churches. 

We try to follow the commandments of Jesus, "Love God and love your neighbor as yourself."   Also the instruction in James 16, "Pray for one another that you may be healed."   Most of the members have had the "release of The Holy Spirit," and have spiritual gifts---praying in tongues, discernment, teaching, wisdom, healing, etc.   

Our Prayer  "Almighty God, who inspired Your servant Luke the Physician to set forth in the Gospel the love and healing power of Your Son:  Graciously continue in Your Church the love and power to heal, to praise and glory of Your Name, through Jesus Christ, our Lord.   Amen.

The Holy Spirit is bringing God's people together!     
Praise God!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 06, 2008 - 1:05PM #10
bigbear6161
[QUOTE=peter d roman;190934]the problem is two fold- one once a thread goes there is no honest way to control its flow.

two and more to your initial objective the 'catholic- protestant divide'. both groups are wroung and far from were Yash'wa Humanities Messiah from Nazareth said were we are to be if we are following Him.

how can ether errant group become right as long as the hold as true the lie " the bible is gods word".

Our Savior Brother is the One and Only, True and Genuine, everlasting Word of God.

that True Word is found upon a human heart dedicated to His Way of Love and no other way.

we are called to love as He Loves us- not follow any book, any other doctrine, any ritual or practice.

>o[/QUOTE]
Peter, Agreed that threads will go their own way.  I have no problem with that.  I am hopeful that posters will maintain a reasonable respect for alternative viewpoints or else we come very close to sounding like the bullying dogmatists you object to so much.  The development of some sort of institutionalized church was inevitable as the size of the community grew.  But we should never forget that the church is in reality the people of God, and to wax mystical it is the Bride of Christ, and in fact the Body of Christ.  Now what these metaphorical labels mean for us today, and whether we should keep them or revise or supplement them is a legitimate question for those who follow Jesus in this day and age.  The same is true of the Bible.  We often refer to the Bible as the "Word of God."  How do we understand this?  For me, the texts are the songs composed and sung by those who have encountered the sacred (God at the current time seems an OK term for me).  Unfortunately, since the world of spirit is primarily a nonverbal world, the songs are conditioned approximations of the experience. Yet, this does not diminish their importance.  They are expressions of the very sacred core of the song writer.  They point us to the sacred like fingers pointing to the moon, to borrow from a Buddhist idea.  Now, instead of freezing the song, it would be better for each of us to go down into our sacred place, encounter God, be transformed by the experience, come up into the ordinary verbal world and then composed and sing our own song for the benefit of others. Perhaps this is what Jesus and you mean by imprinting the Law in our hearts.  However, I think it is a mistake to reject the sacred songs as "error" as you seem to be implying.  I also think it is a mistake to reject the church and the many holy people in it (like Romero) simply because the Bible is considered important.  I trust we can continue the dialogue.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook