Page 8 of 8  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Switch to Forum Live View
Locked: Evangelical view of catholicism
5 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2009 - 11:17PM #71
Roodog

There is a BIG difference between Evangelical and Catholic Christianity mainly in the issue of Justification and Authority in the Church. These are the big issues from which all others stem from.

If works are added to faith to attain Justification(or sanctification) the system becomes legalistic. You must try to to fulfill all these requirements be they sacramental or actual works based activity. You place your self at the mercy of the Authorities of the Church rather than at God's mercy. For instance,if Baptism is neccessary for salvation, it is neccessary to do it CORRECTLY, the right method (immersion, sprinkling or pouring) at the right time (infant or adult baptism) the right formula( Trinitarian or in Jesus' Name) under the right auspices (usually "OUR" Church) Do you get the picture?

Justification by faith alone places your confidence in the right place: God and He alone gets the glory.

Authority is the other issue. Classic Protestantism follows a Sola Scriptura principle. Nothing that is not found in Scripture or not proven thereby is neccessary for salvation. Scripture contains all things neccessary for salvation. Tradition plays little role in how the Church does thing, especially in doctrine. There are some traditions though, like having church at 11:00 on sunday morning. This enabled the farmers to do their daily chores before coming to church. This is tradition not Scripture, it's not written in stone.

Among the Catholics, Tradition carries the same weight as the Bible in some instances. They also believe in Apostolic Succession which means their bishops are the successors of the Apostles themselves and this branch of the ministry is the repository of apostolic authority.

To the Evangelical,The Bible, alone is the Repository of such authority, both of the Prophets and the Apostles.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 19, 2009 - 12:37PM #72
steve123

I'd also add, and forgive me if this has been stated prior, that I believe as an evangelical, the church is not a building or a visible group of people, but an invisible, mystical body, composed of real people in all different denominations groups, sects, etc....including the Catholic Church.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 20, 2009 - 3:41PM #73
sincerly

Nov 19, 2009 -- 12:37PM, steve123 wrote:

I'd also add, and forgive me if this has been stated prior, that I believe as an evangelical, the church is not a building or a visible group of people, but an invisible, mystical body, composed of real people in all different denominations groups, sects, etc....including the Catholic Church.

Steve, the "Church" is made up of all those who have been "called out as an assembly" of TRUE "Believers."  Greek---ekklēsia= church(English) and means: "1) a gathering of citizens called out from their homes into some public place, an assembly

a) an assembly of the people convened at the public place of the council for the purpose of deliberating"

This is a highly visible group of people.    All nations of people are in that "called out", but all peoples do not heed the "call" to the assemblage of HIS PEOPLE.  Like Cain, the majority of persons have their own ideas as to what GOD has said constitutes "HIS PEOPLE"/"HIS CHILDREN".--------THE CHURCH.  OR as Peter(II 3:9) stipulates, "The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance."

OR Paul as wrote, (Eph. 4:1-6), "I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called,With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;  Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. [There is] one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; One Lord, one faith, one baptism, One God and Father of all, who [is] above all, and through all, and in you all."

Paul tells of a power which would claim to be speaking for GOD and would endure until the coming of Christ when "time would be no more". 2Thess. 2:3-4.  Your "includes" would "include the doctrines" of all those erroneous beliefs which are contrary to the "Thus saith the LORD"-----Scriptures.  

Peace,   Sincerly.      As long as sin is practiced, one will search for a means to validate the continuing therein. ANON

The greatest want of the world is the want of men--men who will not be bought or sold, men who in their inmost souls are true and honest, men who do not fear to call sin by its right name, men whose conscience is as true to duty as the needle to the pole, men who will stand for the right though the heavens fall.---- ANON  (Ellen G. White. 1882)
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 28, 2009 - 9:33AM #74
steve123

Reread my post sincerly.  I did say "real" people.  The church is more than any one denomination or sect.  And that includes the SDA.....Smile

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 28, 2009 - 10:46PM #75
Roodog

Oct 16, 2008 -- 4:36PM, Beliefnetsabee wrote:

This discussion is closed. Discussion as to the relative merits of Catholicism is not permitted on a board where Catholics are not allowed to respond.

Move the thread to Discuss Catholicism so they can discuss it with us or to C2C debate.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 30, 2009 - 1:18AM #76
Anesis

This thread should be locked.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 8 of 8  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook