Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View Which bible version is used most by progressive Christians?
4 years ago  ::  Feb 28, 2011 - 5:45PM #21
Stardove

Feb 27, 2011 -- 1:19PM, BetteTheRedde wrote:

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned The Inclusive Bible. It self-describes as "the first egalitarian translation". Translated by a committee of Jesuits, whose formidable intellect always alerts my interest, the Priests for Equality have done a masterful job.

Although it's a Catholic Bible (and hence has the deutero-Canonical material which isn't used in the Protestant church), it attempts (very successfully, IMO) to be as inclusive as of many groups/isms as possible. To the point in one very specific case, in Ruth, when the women of Jerusalem tell Naomi that Ruth is worth more to her than seven sons, it is translated as "seven children", which rather misses the point that, in that culture, any daughter (in-law) was in fact a liability requiring a bride price, while every son increased a parent's net worth.

Bette, thanks for sharing.  I had never heard of The Inclusive Bible. 

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 01, 2011 - 10:51AM #22
Jupiter6208

I like the Amplified Bible.

"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. Buddha.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
Eleanor Roosevelt
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 01, 2011 - 4:59PM #23
BetteTheRedde

I really like it, Stardove. It even makes a really valiant, if somewhat futile, attempt, to soften the rather jarring anti-Semitism in John.

"Sometimes they are referred to as the 'radical Right.' But the fact is that there is nothing radical about them. They offer no novel solutions to the problems that plague them; indeed, they offer no solutions at all. They are immensely discontented with things as they are and furiously impatient with almost everyone in public office who can in any way be held responsible for their frustrations. But it cannot be said that they hold any clearly stated objectives or have any specific program either in common or individuals. They are fundamentally and temperamentally 'aginners.' And perhaps the commonest characteristic among them is anger. They can fairly be called, if nothing else, the Rampageous Right."

Alan Barth, New York Times, November 26, 1961
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook