Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
7 years ago  ::  Feb 13, 2008 - 2:23PM #11
judymae1401
I had never heard of a certified music therapist, 'til about a year ago.  A young man I knew through work told me he was getting a degree from FSU in music therapy.  Until that time, I didn't know it was a 'certified' career. per say. 
I have always viewed music as a form of healing. 
I think what each of you do is WONDERFUL!  There has to be no better feeling than enjoying yor job, and gettting home at the end of the day and feeling satisfied. 
God bless each of you for your work.  I love music and  gospel is one of my favorites. 
How wonderful that you use your God given talent to help others.  I tried years ago to teach myself how to play guitar, and apparently I lack the coordination for the task. 

Thought ya'll may be interested in this website...[FONT=Arial][COLOR=#000000]http://www.preciouslordtakemyhand.com[/COLOR][/FONT]

God bless each of you. 
[FONT=Arial][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]

[/FONT]
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 15, 2008 - 4:04PM #12
Bluegirl
My father passed away from Alzheimer's just this past December.  One thing he always responded to was hymnals.  We could start singing and he would join in.  He hardly spoke or new anyone, but would sing those old songs.  If it wasn't therapy for him, it was for us.  It always made us feel like a part of him was still there and we were communicating in some way.
Please keep up what you are doing.  It is a labor of love that has far reaching affects.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 07, 2008 - 5:58PM #13
DonTheNorski
I can say assuredly that as a choral musician, what I do is both a ministry TO me and a ministry FOR me.  The choir prays twice, as the old saying goes.

When it is a ministry to me, it is therapeutic spiritually.  When it is working as a ministry for me, to others, I hope and pray that it is therapeutic  spiritually for them as well.

There are certain movements of works that, without exception, I cannot sing, or even listen to a recording of, without weeping in profound adoration and joy. Brahm's German Requiem, Rutter's Gloria, and "O Nata Lux" from Lauridsen's Lux Aeterna come to mind.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 24, 2008 - 10:20PM #14
Apishapa
Music Therapy

When I was a child, my older brothers had a guitar and I loved the music.  I wanted to play also, but my brothers would not let me touch the guitar. 

As an adult I still had a love for guitar music.  One Saturday during a Charismatic Day of Renewal,  I spoke with the man that was playing the guitar, leading the group in praising in song.  Told him I loved guitar music, but as a child, my brothers would not let me touch the guitar.  He placed his hand on my shoulder and said, "I give you permission to play the guitar."   

When I got home, I told my husband what the man had said to me.  My husband said he didn't know I liked guitar music and if I wanted one, we would go and get one.   That same week we went to a music store, where they had a guitar room.  There were all kinds of guitars, I had no idea which one I wanted, just knew it had to be a 12 string, which is what the man that "gave me permission to play the guitar," was playing.   

We were walking around the room looking, when a young man with shoulder length hair walked in.  He took one guitar off the wall and strummed it, then hung it back up.  He tried another, then walked out of the guitar room.  My husband followed him out and spoke with him about me wanting a 12 string.  He came back in took one off the wall, strummed it, then tried another,  and said, "this is a good one, but don't pay them what they are asking for it, offer them less."  Then he walked out.   

My husband spoke to the salesman and asked the price, which was quite high.  My husband told him the price was too high.  He then asked what we were willing to pay for it.  My husband quoted a price.  He said he'd have to speak to the manager and left the room.  He came back and said the manager wanted to know if we would add twenty dollars to the offer.   My husband told him, yes if he would also include a guitar case.   He indicated they had some used ones and we could have one of those.  He brought one out which had  the Christian symbol  IXOYE.  I knew immediately it was the right one.   

On the way home my husband asked me if I knew who had picked my guitar.  I told him, the young man with the shoulder length hair.   He said yes, but it was your angel.   I was stunned---how did he know that.   

We had also purchased a beginners book on playing guitar, which I read and began learning the basic  chords.   Then I signed up for a beginning guitar class at the college near by.   

I took one semester of Beginning Guitar, and shortly after I finished, was when I had "my calling" for Juvenile Detention Ministry.   My instructor told me, for what I was going to use the guitar, one semester was sufficient.

I am not a musician, just know the basic chords to play and lead the youths in Juvenile Hall in singing a couple of songs during ministry.   They are songs the youths can easily learn:  "Father I Adore You,  I Love You Lord, Tell the People I Love Them, Change My Heart O God,  In His Time," and several others, but their favorite is --- "Amazing Grace."
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2008 - 4:01PM #15
Spirit-Wind
Apishapa - Thank you for sharing your story.  It touched me today.  I only have one critique.  That is that you say, "I am not a musician".  This is not true.  You ARE a musician.  So am I.  Welcome to the family of musicians.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2008 - 11:50AM #16
Apishapa
Spirit-Wind   

Thank you, but as I mentioned earlier, I just know the basic chords, and my left fingers aren't that strong, even though I have exercised them, so I just use three fingers.      But I do try and "make a joyful noise unto the Lord!"

Forgot to mention, the guitar music is therapeutic for the youths.  It seems to calm them and they are more open to the word of God.   

Occasionally a youth will tell me that they play guitar, so I ask the officers will allow him to be the music ministry for the service.   If they allow the youth to play the guitar, he will play some of the music and lead us in  Praise songs, which makes it more meaningful for the rest of the group.   

Praise God!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2008 - 11:08AM #17
URK(S.B.)
***************************** This is a great Bnet group for Christian fellowship and this link has many songs of interest to Christians there!
  (http://community.beliefnet.com/?page_id … oup_id=555)
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 24, 2007 - 12:42PM #18
friendofsaints&angels
I think what your doing is beautifal and GOD bless you for that. I don't know if I use music for therapy, But I do believe that most of the music I hear in church is very beautiful. I'm catholic and I grew up old school catholic were all of the women in church would sing and most of the men wouldn't. I recently found my way back to the church and try to sing along with most of the hymmes, and that seems to make me feel good. We have a new priest in our parish and when we pray the our father we sing it and I think thats great. sometimes I wonder if the priest is doing that just to get the men to sing along.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 24, 2011 - 4:50PM #19
Glynlaura

I know longer consider myself a Christian but one of the things I miss most from the church is worship. I love to worship God thru music and still listen to many of my old CHristian rock cds etc. I feel so close to God when I am praising Him.  One of the neatest moments of my life was at a Joyce Meyer convention when thousands of women began singing Amazing Grace accapelo. Amazing moment.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook