Page 1 of 11  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Next
Switch to Forum Live View What makes Celtic Christianity unique?
7 years ago  ::  Nov 28, 2007 - 12:08AM #1
Phantasm
I've heard about Celtic Christianity from time to time for years now.  I am interested in what sets it apart from other forms of Christianity.  What are its' most distinctive features?  And is it more like a diffuse movement, or is it an actual, bona fide church denomination that resides in Ireland or elsewhere?

I'm looking forward to your responses!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 28, 2007 - 12:24PM #2
mfjfarrell
Dia annseo isteach!
God to all here!

Greetings Phantasm,

Let's see, 'most distinctive features'... well, how about I C&P from another post for you. 

"What can I tell you about CC?  Well, it was Early Christianity as interpreted by the Celtic Peoples of Western Europe.  Before the unification of the West under Rome most of the Christian missions had churches that kept the flavor of their heritage.  Celtic peoples had an affinity for the 'Immanence of God' (in all and through all - yet contained by no thing), they honored (not worshiped) both Nature and Mankind as Icons (revelations) of God, Celtic society saw that women were as necessary to life as men and were honored accordingly.  Actually, in addition to being called the 'Green Religion', we are also known as the People of Two Books.  God is revealed both in Scriptures and in everything in the world around us.

Celtic Churches were absorbed into the Western system in the first millennium, we tend to use the date of 664 A.D., but the beliefs lived on in the hearts of the Celtic peoples up to the present day.  Rather than another 'church', CC is a way of life that seeks Harmony with yourself, God and the rest of Creation.  Today, many of the Christian traditions and sects try to incorporate CC into their worship services and masses, so you will see a wide range of 'Celtic Christian Churches' on the net.  What really matters is the attitude of your heart to draw close to your Creator and His Creation."

Movement or Denomination?  Well, some churches have converted their services to include Celtic styles of prayer and addition of Celtic Saints, so you will find a few places that call themselves a 'Celtic Church'.  As I said above, the originals were absorbed by Rome a long time ago.  Mostly it is a discipline, or more precisely, a way of seeing.  We look for the 'Light of Christ' in all mankind and in nature.  Not quite as easy to do as it seems!  Mostly, we try to see His Light within our own lives, live in Harmony with His plan for us and share that Light with those He brings into our days.  We tend to seek the 'good' rather than to judge the 'bad'. 

Any questions?  Please don't hesitate to ask!  I hope this has been of some help to you...

Slan,
Marty
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 28, 2007 - 3:05PM #3
Phantasm
Okay, thanks!  I think it's important for people esp. in America to have some idea of what all is out there other than Catholicism and Protestantism- the Ethiopian church, the Coptic church, Celtic Christianity.  Thanks for the info.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 29, 2007 - 12:57AM #4
Phantasm
Any books you can recommend about it, help you understand it and live it?  Any seminal writings you guys have?  Maybe if I Google-ed St. Patrick...
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 29, 2007 - 9:51AM #5
mfjfarrell
Dia annseo isteach!
God to all here!

Greetings Phantasm,

Any books?  Well, actually we just compiled a list of them on my site on QT.  We thought it would be good to have a reference list of books we found helpful and useful for new beginners...  For the meantime though, if you would like to start somewhere, I would recommend J.Philip Newell's 'Listening for the Heartbeat of God'.  Its a good introduction!  There are many other books as well, but this is the best place to start.  Thanks for asking...

Slan,
Marty
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 29, 2007 - 9:51AM #6
mfjfarrell
Dia annseo isteach!
God to all here!

Greetings Phantasm,

Any books?  Well, actually we just compiled a list of them on my site on QT.  We thought it would be good to have a reference list of books we found helpful and useful for new beginners...  For the meantime though, if you would like to start somewhere, I would recommend J.Philip Newell's 'Listening for the Heartbeat of God'.  Its a good introduction!  There are many other books as well, but this is the best place to start.  Thanks for asking...

Slan,
Marty
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 29, 2007 - 10:10PM #7
Phantasm
Excellent!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 02, 2007 - 7:00PM #8
kollo
[QUOTE=mfjfarrell;100148]Dia annseo isteach!
God to all here!

Greetings Phantasm,

Let's see, 'most distinctive features'... well, how about I C&P from another post for you. 

[I]"What can I tell you about CC?  Well, it was Early Christianity as interpreted by the Celtic Peoples of Western Europe.  Before the unification of the West under Rome most of the Christian missions had churches that kept the flavor of their heritage.  Celtic peoples had an affinity for the 'Immanence of God' (in all and through all - yet contained by no thing), they honored (not worshiped) both Nature and Mankind as Icons (revelations) of God, Celtic society saw that women were as necessary to life as men and were honored accordingly.  Actually, in addition to being called the 'Green Religion', we are also known as the People of Two Books.  God is revealed both in Scriptures and in everything in the world around us.[/QUOTE]
How much reference is taken to the Christ of the New Testament?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 02, 2007 - 8:22PM #9
mfjfarrell
Dia annseo isteach!
God to all here!

Greetings Kollo,

"How much reference is taken to the Christ of the New Testament? "  Sorry, I'm not sure what you are asking!  Do you mean how important is Scripture to us?  If so, then I would have to say 'very'!  It is the guide for determining the path of our life and how to relate to our Creator.  It is the revelation of Himself in Word.  We hold also, as in the Scriptures, that even Nature reveals its maker!  So, there is no excuse for not knowing the Creator God.  Christian or not!  Does that help?

I'm sorry if I've misread your question.  Please feel free to question further...

Slan,
Marty
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Dec 02, 2007 - 8:51PM #10
sorrowful_mysteries
As a general reference in addition to the good things that have already been said: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_Christianity

You should also be able to find some of the primary sources outlined in the article at http://www.ccel.org/
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 11  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook