7 years ago  ::  Oct 24, 2007 - 5:28PM #1
mfjfarrell
Dia annseo isteach!
God to all here!

Hello all,

This forum just openned so I thought I'd sign in!  I hope we can continue with our discussions from the previous site.  May the Lord of all Light shine upon us here as well...

Slan
Marty
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 26, 2007 - 8:01AM #2
steve123
Hi Marty,

How is Celtic Christianity distinct vs. other "types" of Christianity?

Thanks,

Steve
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 26, 2007 - 10:21AM #3
mfjfarrell
Dia annseo isteach!

Hey Steve,

I guess the standard answer is, "Celtic Christianity is the 'original form' of Christianity from the Early Church as interpreted in the Celtic lands".  Many like to refer to it as the 'green religion' because of its emphasis on Nature as a form of revelation of the Creator.  Many like to point out that since the Celts weren't as 'gender conscious' as we are that women played a more prominent role in Church functions and leadership.  All of these are true and there are other unique characteristics as well but the truth is, its still simple Christianity.

What I appreciate about it is the understanding of God-Nature-Mankind and the Harmony that we should all follow with each.  Its main tenant teaches us to look for the 'Light of Christ' in everything / everyone that is around us!  It is a simpler lifestyle that does not look to separate us from this life but rather to find God and His plan for us in its midst.

You will find many different groups of Celtic Christians, representing the various denominational or sectarian backgrounds, who have modeled their corporate worship on these principles but it still comes down to living simply as Christ leads you.  Many of them claim to be the 'real' Celtic Church but the truth is that CC is more about conforming our life to Him and His desires for us.  It is something you can take with you anywhere and worship anywhere, even the 'church without walls', Nature.

Thanks for your reply, I was beginning to wonder if anyone was interested anymore!  May the Lord continue to bless you in your quest...

Slan,
Marty
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 26, 2007 - 4:02PM #4
seekerdrd
One of the best books I know for the distinctino between Celtic and other forms of Christianity is The Celtic Way of Evangelism:  How Christianity Can Reach the West . . .Again, by George Hunter III. In it he gives a model that distinguishes Roman and subsequent Protestant evangelism from Celtic, that helps to differentiate a little more the attitude differences. It goes a little like this:

Roman/Protestant way:  present facts, conversion, acceptance into community.

Celtic way:  acceptance into community, evangelize through lifestyle/relationships, then conversion.

Hope that helps clarify a little more.

David
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 26, 2007 - 4:24PM #5
mfjfarrell
Hey David,

That is a great book!  I also liked in it the approach of the Celtic Mission to go to the countryside rather than the cities as the Romans did.  Perhaps a better book for basic differences though might be J. Philip Newell's "Listening for the Heartbeat of God".  While tracing some of the history of CC, he brings out much of its theology as well.

My all time favorite book on it though is Ted Olsen's "Christianity and the Celts".  For its size, its the best source for accurate information on CC's development and structure.  Have you read that one?  I'd recommend it highly!

Slan,
Marty
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 26, 2007 - 9:40PM #6
seekerdrd
I'm going to have to check both of those out! Have you read How the Irish Saved Civilization (I think it's J P Mackey) or any of Esther de Waal's work? Another good one is Celtic Blessings by Ray Simpson. It gives ideas for modern prayers in the same tradition as Carmina Gadelica.

peace,

David
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 27, 2007 - 8:02AM #7
mfjfarrell
Dia annseo isteach!
God to all here!

Hey David,

I'm going to start a new Thread instead of responding to you here.  Favorite Books is something that I think can become a thread we will use in the future...  See you there!

Slan,
Marty
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2008 - 10:25AM #8
Tassiecelt
[QUOTE=seekerdrd;24938]One of the best books I know for the distinctino between Celtic and other forms of Christianity is The Celtic Way of Evangelism:  How Christianity Can Reach the West . . .Again, by George Hunter III. In it he gives a model that distinguishes Roman and subsequent Protestant evangelism from Celtic, that helps to differentiate a little more the attitude differences. It goes a little like this:

Roman/Protestant way:  present facts, conversion, acceptance into community.

Celtic way:  acceptance into community, evangelize through lifestyle/relationships, then conversion.

Hope that helps clarify a little more.

David[/QUOTE]

YES! fantastic book, I bought two copies, one to read and one to circulate. Best I've ever read on the topic.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook