Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View
Sticky: Tell us about your church
7 years ago  ::  May 14, 2008 - 4:43PM #11
Campbellite
Spelling B,

I appreciate you taking the time to look at our church's website. It is clear that you are searching for the truth, and have a heart of the things of God. While, obviously, I disagree with your assessment of our church's stance on Biblical translations (you seem to the a KJV only advocate. Am I right?), I am glad that you are seeking to "rightly divide the word of Truth".

May God guide and bless you on your journey in faith. It appears that what we Disciples have to offer is not what you are needing at this point in your pilgrimage. That is quite alright with us. May our God bless you in your search for the Truth.
You are unique.
Just like everybody else.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 16, 2008 - 6:02PM #12
URK(S.B.)
[QUOTE=Campbellite;499473]Spelling B,

I appreciate you taking the time to look at our church's website. It is clear that you are searching for the truth, and have a heart of the things of God. While, obviously, I disagree with your assessment of our church's stance on Biblical translations (you seem to the a KJV only advocate. Am I right?), I am glad that you are seeking to "rightly divide the word of Truth".

May God guide and bless you on your journey in faith. It appears that what we Disciples have to offer is not what you are needing at this point in your pilgrimage. That is quite alright with us. May our God bless you in your search for the Truth.[/QUOTE]

I'm well aware of the originals!Even the original KJV Bible has originals!I do wonder what bible you use.If it's translations are the same as described by SPELLINGb ,and do not go with the originals than it is an abomination even if it holds SOME truths!I have the sources I use listed in either the Christian study gruop/ or NON-DENOMINATIONAL CHRIST group.I have a smaller version on my profile.THere is nothing new under the sun!Even the KJV has mistranslations but overall the Companion Bible KJV is the most correctly translated english source of The Word.
Please dont try to make presumtions of me as it doesn't work!I'm a firm believer that steriotyping breeds hate.
If you payed attention to SpellingB's post you would know that he is not a KJV only Christian!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 17, 2008 - 9:03PM #13
Campbellite
FWIW, I use the NRSV most of the time. When I am doing serious indepth study, I generally consult the Greek New Testament (Aland, et alia) United Bible Society.
You are unique.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 18, 2008 - 1:37PM #14
Spirit-Wind
Campbellite, you made me proud to be a Disciple.  You were gracious under fire. 

Spelling B - Peace be with you.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 18, 2008 - 2:00PM #15
Campbellite
On another (DOC) thread we are talking about seminary training in pastoral counseling. One of the major rules is not to argue, but to seek common points of agreement, and build on them.

One of the strengths of our denomination is that we know htat we are not going to be a good fit for everybody. Some people want to be told what to think, say, do and believe. We value being a community supporting one another in our common search for the truth. If you want hard and fast rules, then we are not the right place for you. If you want to engage your heart and mind in a journey in faith, then we are a perfect fit.

As B.W.Stone put it, "We are not the only Christians, but we seek to be Christians only."
You are unique.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 18, 2008 - 1:37PM #16
Spirit-Wind
Campbellite, you made me proud to be a Disciple.  You were gracious under fire. 

Spelling B - Peace be with you.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 18, 2008 - 2:00PM #17
Campbellite
On another (DOC) thread we are talking about seminary training in pastoral counseling. One of the major rules is not to argue, but to seek common points of agreement, and build on them.

One of the strengths of our denomination is that we know htat we are not going to be a good fit for everybody. Some people want to be told what to think, say, do and believe. We value being a community supporting one another in our common search for the truth. If you want hard and fast rules, then we are not the right place for you. If you want to engage your heart and mind in a journey in faith, then we are a perfect fit.

As B.W.Stone put it, "We are not the only Christians, but we seek to be Christians only."
You are unique.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 21, 2008 - 3:18PM #18
Lookbeyond
I learned early in my youth that not all churches are equal and that there are many different doctrines found throughout all Christianity. I wanted to know which was the Church of Jesus Christ. My father was Catholic, so I studied his religion extensively and came to the conclusion, though they claim to be the original Church, I found them to have very little resemblance to the Church described in the Bible. 1 Cor.12:28-30.....apostles;prophets, teachers....Ephesians 2:19-22 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God; And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone; In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord. In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.
   Ephesians 4:4-7; 11-16 ....."And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ; Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: That we henceforth be no more children tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ; From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual workin in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love."
    This scripture in particular gave me a search pattern to follow! Which Church is built upon the foundation of apostles and prophets? Are they the governing body today with Christ as their head? How is the "perfecting" of the saints taking place? If this is the proper organization and should remain "til we all come in the unity of the faith and the knowledge of the Son of God, then who has the right to change that organization? Are we still being tossed to and fro and being carried about with every wind of doctrine in the many different churches today?
     I also decided that there must have been many changes in the early church, else why was their such a great protestant movement? I believe it was Martin Luther who wanted to get back to the basics and return to the original teachings of the Church, and was one who began the protest. The early church fell into the power of the Romans and became a political force....literally. People who did not believe and follow the church were tortured and killed, hence the period of the many inquisitions. Today that "original church" still shows the remnants of the pagan ways that were adopted to maintain followership. Some of the doctrines have changed and ordinances modified......baptism by sprinkling; transubstantiation; pergatory; patron saints; rosary prayers; no tithing; popes, priests and cardinals....nothing in scripture that mentions these leaders by these names.
   So we have the 'Original Church" as maintained by Catholicism, whose name does not reflect it to be the Church of Jesus Christ; then we have the protestants who protested against the "Original Church" and hence we now have a multitude of denominations all claiming to the right path......but none are established as described in Ephesians. All appear to have fragments of truth once taught anciently, but none seem to have the fulness of the gospel of Jesus Christ. They seem to have embraced philosophies of men in place of doctrines lost or not understood.
    John on the Isle of Patmos, had a revelation of the last days where in he saw an Angel, having the everlasting gospel to preach upon the earth.(Revelations 14:6-7....are we to assume this denotes a restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ, since it appears that all churches seem to have perverted the gospel as spoken of in the Bible and have established churches unto themselves, churches without authority from God?  John 15:16  Matt. 16:19 who has the "keys of the kingdom of heaven" who has the power to bind on earth that which shall be bound in heaven....Micah 4:1-2 in the last days....the mountain of the house of the Lord shall be established....
      I enjoy my Church because I believe it to be the restored gospel of Jesus Christ, as spoken of in the scriptures, established upon the foundation of apostles and prophets with the power and authority to bind on earth that which will be bound in heaven. All of the established ordinances in the Church of Jesus Christ are present in it's doctrine......and as the gospel is embraced by those throughout the world, there is a true feeling of family, and no more strangers any where I go! I feel the household of God and the family united by gospel principles that are true, all things having been restored to the earth as promised in the scriptures.
    I have been a member of the Church for over 50 years and have never doubted it's origin, nor it's teachings and have found great comfort and peace in the fulness of the gospel restored to the earth.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 21, 2008 - 3:22PM #19
Lookbeyond
I invite anyone who would like to know more of this restoration spoken of to visit; www.lds.org and search your questions......I find it to be a most enlightening experience to research the doctrines of Christ......faith, repentance, baptism, gift of the Holy Ghost, resurrection, atonement, revelation, restoration, Jesus Christ, etc......
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2008 - 12:44AM #20
Apishapa
Lookbeyond   

You covered so much in your post, at this time I would like to address some of your concerns.

e.g. 1 Corinthians 12:28-30  As a Christian I am a  follower of Jesus Christ---disciple while I was being taught the way of Christ---learning.   When I became an apostle, I began to teach the Word of God, primarily by how I live my life and how I respond to others, especially when criticized.   As a prophet, I proclaimed the word of God,  first teaching the children, then to the youths in religious classes.   I was not called to be a missionary, however, my Christian Church (as all other Christian Churches) has missionaries. 

When I was baptized, as an infant, not by "sprinkling," but by water poured over my head, I received the Holy Spirit.  (we do have a large pool in my church where adults can be submersed for baptism.) 

As I grew and learned, The Holy Spirit began to work in my life (as I'm sure he does in all Christians).   I received the gift of "tongues,"  which I use when praying for others, when I'm not sure what their problem is, and the Holy Spirit will show me.   He has physically healed people when I have prayed for them.  I believe what I have shared is covered in the NT Scripture you quoted---1 Corinthians 12: 28-30.     

In reference to "patron saints,"  I can ask them to intercede for me just as I can ask other "living saints,"  which is the calling for all Christians.     

Perhaps I can cover more of your concerns another time.    God Bless.

Praise God!
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook