Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View 2,500 Year Old Jewish Tablets
3 years ago  ::  Feb 04, 2015 - 7:25AM #1
withwonderingawe

From the Huffington Post

"...Now for the first time, one hundred and ten, 2,500 year old Babylonian tablets have been discovered in Iraq which provide a glimpse of Jewish life in Babylonian exile. Put simply, the tablets corroborate the Biblical tale. They describe a town called Al-Yahudu i.e., "the village of the Jews", by the river Chebar, mentioned in Ezekiel 1:1.

Me adding; 
Now it came to pass in the thirtieth year, in the fourth month, in the fifth day of the month, as I was among the captives by the river of Chebarthat the heavens were opened, and I saw visionsof God."

They also attest to Judaic names such as "Gedalyahu", "Hanan", "Dana", "Shaltiel" and a man with the same name as Israel's current Prime Minister, "Netanyahu". The "yahu" ending to these names is called "theophoric", meaning, they attest to a belief in the God of the Torah, by including part of God's name in people's personal names. The tablets also record everyday business transactions and witness to the Jewish return to Jerusalem (Nehemiah 6:15-16), as commemorated in personal names such as "Yashuv Zadik", meaning, "the righteous shall return [to Zion]".

This discovery is a remarkable confirmation of the historical reliability of the Biblical text." 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/simcha-jacobovici/2500-year-old-jewish-tabl_b_6579996.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

Wise men still seek him.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 05, 2015 - 1:02AM #2
Namchuck

Feb 4, 2015 -- 7:25AM, withwonderingawe wrote:

From the Huffington Post

"...Now for the first time, one hundred and ten, 2,500 year old Babylonian tablets have been discovered in Iraq which provide a glimpse of Jewish life in Babylonian exile. Put simply, the tablets corroborate the Biblical tale. They describe a town called Al-Yahudu i.e., "the village of the Jews", by the river Chebar, mentioned in Ezekiel 1:1.

Me adding; 
Now it came to pass in the thirtieth year, in the fourth month, in the fifth day of the month, as I was among the captives by the river of Chebarthat the heavens were opened, and I saw visionsof God."

They also attest to Judaic names such as "Gedalyahu", "Hanan", "Dana", "Shaltiel" and a man with the same name as Israel's current Prime Minister, "Netanyahu". The "yahu" ending to these names is called "theophoric", meaning, they attest to a belief in the God of the Torah, by including part of God's name in people's personal names. The tablets also record everyday business transactions and witness to the Jewish return to Jerusalem (Nehemiah 6:15-16), as commemorated in personal names such as "Yashuv Zadik", meaning, "the righteous shall return [to Zion]".

This discovery is a remarkable confirmation of the historical reliability of the Biblical text." 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/simcha-jacobovici/2500-year-old-jewish-tabl_b_6579996.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

It does no such thing. It merely attests to some aspects of biblical geography, proper-names, etc, that very few biblical students and scholars were in doubt about in the first place.

What such discoveries do not do to any degree is provide the least evidence that any of the fantastic tales found in the Bible - most of them supposedly pre-exilic and almost all of them reformulations of myths borrowed from other cultures - have any foundation whatsoever in history or reality.

Even older Greek myths, and those of other ancient cultures, that turn up now and again and have as their backdrop recognizable proper-names and places hardly constitutes compelling evidence for the existence of centaurs, cyclops, mermaids, and many other assorted creatures and the tales concerning them that once inhabited the overwrought imaginations of the ancients.

The very same thing is true about the Bible. How many Bible believers know, for instance, that there is a third version of the creation given in the Bible: the creation of the earth from the remains of a great dragon slaughtered by God, a tale obviously borrowed from the Babylonians during the Jewish exile? 

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook