Dec 3, 2011 -- 2:22PM, Namchuck wrote:

Dec 3, 2011 -- 9:39AM, dsfin wrote:

Dec 3, 2011 -- 1:00AM, Namchuck wrote:

Dec 2, 2011 -- 7:47PM, dsfin wrote:

Dec 2, 2011 -- 1:14AM, Namchuck wrote:

Dec 1, 2011 -- 9:11AM, dsfin wrote:

Dec 1, 2011 -- 12:24AM, Namchuck wrote:

Nov 30, 2011 -- 10:10AM, dsfin wrote:

Exodus 20:5-6 says your sins will follow for 3-4 generations and blessings for 1000.

That book also advocates the killing of any person who doesn't accept its religious paradigm.

And you actually haven't rendered those verses either accurately or honestly.

It is not talking about children suffering for their parents sins...Deuteronomy 24:16; Ezekiel 18:20

People born with aids in Africa or those born to Leave it to Beaver homes are not a coincidence. It is a reward of their last life.

Exodus 20:5-6 is talking about children suffering for their parents sins.

Deuteronomy 24:16, on the other hand, represents a totally different and contradictory tradition.

Neither reference, and including Ezekiel 18:20, has anything to do with the notion of reincarnation, which came much much later in certain Jewish thought and was borrowed from elsewhere.

Your assertion about AIDS in Africa is simply silly. 

Children are not punished for their parents sins.

Leviticus 26 and Deuteronomy 28 says all your sins are punished into your next life time.

According to Exodus 20:5-6 they are, and Leviticus and Deuteronomy say no such thing.

Reincarnational assertions have no more validity than claims for resurrection. Both are notions advanced by those unable to face the inevitability of their own certain extinction.

Reincarnation is resurection. What you are hoping for is no punishment for your sins. That also means no reward. My life has been great and I look forward to a repeat.

So, you don't understand the difference between reincarnation and resurrection either? Sheesh!

And I guessed that carrots and sticks would likely be the motivation behind your belief in reincarnation.

By the way, my life has been great too, but, unlike you, I'm neither credulous nor greedy.

Without a belief in an afterlife there is no reason to be good or moral.

Are you trying to tell me that unless life continues in the hereafter there is no reason to be moral?

What nonsense. Countless numbers of people choose to be moral because being moral is good in and of itself. We are social creatures amd morality is part of the glue that holds society together. One doesn't need unjustified beliefs like reincarnation to be moral.

Your reward will be the same as Hitler or Mother Teressa. Everything is luck of the draw.

Life is its own reward and there is no evidence whatsoever that life continues after death. Life after death is merely wishful thinking, largely indulged in by those unable to handle the bare facts of life and nature.

How can reincarnation be greedy?

Because it represents the overwrought desire for more than the one life each of us gets. Greedy people always want more and more.

I am sure if we both made a list of what are morals, without a belief in God, it would be very different.

What do you believe is the purpose of life?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 04, 2011 - 9:39PM #12
Namchuck

Dec 4, 2011 -- 9:30PM, dsfin wrote:

Dec 3, 2011 -- 10:00PM, Namchuck wrote:

Dec 3, 2011 -- 5:28PM, dsfin wrote:

Exodus 20:5-6 says your sins will follow for 3-4 generations and blessings for 1000.

That book also advocates the killing of any person who doesn't accept its religious paradigm.

It is not talking about children suffering for their parents sins...Deuteronomy 24:16; Ezekiel 18:20

People born with aids in Africa or those born to Leave it to Beaver homes are not a coincidence. It is a reward of their last life.

Deuteronomy 24:16, on the other hand, represents a totally different and contradictory tradition.

Neither reference, and including Ezekiel 18:20, has anything to do with the notion of reincarnation, which came much much later in certain Jewish thought and was borrowed from elsewhere.

Leviticus 26 and Deuteronomy 28 says all your sins are punished into your next life time.

According to Exodus 20:5-6 they are, and Leviticus and Deuteronomy say no such thing.

Reincarnational assertions have no more validity than claims for resurrection. Both are notions advanced by those unable to face the inevitability of their own certain extinction.

Reincarnation is resurection. What you are hoping for is no punishment for your sins. That also means no reward. My life has been great and I look forward to a repeat.

So, you don't understand the difference between reincarnation and resurrection either? Sheesh!

And I guessed that carrots and sticks would likely be the motivation behind your belief in reincarnation.

By the way, my life has been great too, but, unlike you, I'm neither credulous nor greedy.

Are you trying to tell me that unless life continues in the hereafter there is no reason to be moral?

What nonsense. Countless numbers of people choose to be moral because being moral is good in and of itself. We are social creatures amd morality is part of the glue that holds society together. One doesn't need unjustified beliefs like reincarnation to be moral.

Your reward will be the same as Hitler or Mother Teressa. Everything is luck of the draw.

Life is its own reward and there is no evidence whatsoever that life continues after death. Life after death is merely wishful thinking, largely indulged in by those unable to handle the bare facts of life and nature.

Because it represents the overwrought desire for more than the one life each of us gets. Greedy people always want more and more.

I am sure if we both made a list of what are morals, without a belief in God, it would be very different.

I bet they wouldn't differ that much.

One certainly couldn't assert that religious people are more moral than non-believers. 

To begin with, I don't believe that there is a 'one-size-fit-all' purpose to life as many of the religious claim. There are as many 'purposes' to life as there are people to have them. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 05, 2011 - 4:40PM #13
dsfin

Dec 4, 2011 -- 9:39PM, Namchuck wrote:

One certainly couldn't assert that religious people are more moral than non-believers. 

To begin with, I don't believe that there is a 'one-size-fit-all' purpose to life as many of the religious claim. There are as many 'purposes' to life as there are people to have them. 

Religious people have Bible based morals on abortion, homosexuality, because they believe there is a reward in this life for obedience. There are no coincidences on good or evil that happens to people.

God's only purpose for our life in everything, is to have fun. Many use drugs, prostitution, stealing, etc as a substitute for the way to have fun.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 05, 2011 - 5:52PM #14
Namchuck

Dec 5, 2011 -- 4:40PM, dsfin wrote:

Religious people have Bible based morals on abortion, homosexuality, because they believe there is a reward in this life for obedience. There are no coincidences on good or evil that happens to people.

Religious people don't have 'morals' on things like homosexuality, they have biases based on primitive beliefs.

And I suppose you are going to try and convince me that natural evils, like an earthquake that destroys a school killing hundreds of children, is the result of the victims behaviour in a previous life? 

God's only purpose for our life in everything, is to have fun. Many use drugs, prostitution, stealing, etc as a substitute for the way to have fun.

How do you know that stealing and prostitution are not simply some people's way of having fun? Even recreational drug taking is fun for some.

As for "God's purposes" based on the Bible, well, the question could be put as to what standards are we to live by and which are we to disregard, considering how contradictory many of them are.

As I said previously, it is preposterous to assert a 'one-size-fit-all' purpose to life. Even the various religions can't agree on just what that supposed 'one' purpose is.

Each human being has the opportunity to find their own purpose in life without the need to conform to superstitious notions promulgated by ancient people who didn't have the foggiest idea about most things. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 05, 2011 - 9:07PM #15
dsfin

Anyone who takes their children to a Gay Pride Parade are guilty of child abuse. The Gays have cut off funding to the Boy Scouts because they can't become Leaders. They have turned Big Brothers ito their playground.

Children who are born without arms and legs, etc is because of a bad life last time. Karma is from God.

My mother was put into an insane hospital when I was 14 ad I went to live with my sister who had married a hillbilly. He taught me to drink moonshine and steal cars. I went into the Porn business and gambled on free junckets. I built my own bar and resturant so I could enjoy my friends without driving.

I moved to Lake Tahoe after my divorce, so I could ski and gamble. I started reading the Bible as a rabbits foot. I went to different Churches to ask questions. After a while I move back to Ca and continued to attend Bible classes.

One Sunday I went to a Baptist Church and was told their Pastor was on vacation so I went to a different Church for Bible class. Afterwards I went back to the Baptist Church and went forward on the Evangelist invite to receive Jesus. Three seconds later I heard a voice in front of me that said "Hi Daddy" My Eight year old daughter had come to that Church with her babysitter. She had never been in Church before. That is when I knew there was a special call in my life.

The drugs, alcoholism, gambling, smoking, porno addiction were instantly removed and it has been a great 30 years since and life is great.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 07, 2011 - 2:04AM #16
Namchuck

Dec 5, 2011 -- 9:07PM, dsfin wrote:

Anyone who takes their children to a Gay Pride Parade are guilty of child abuse. The Gays have cut off funding to the Boy Scouts because they can't become Leaders. They have turned Big Brothers ito their playground.

I'm not here to defend homosexuality, but it's simply silly to claim that taking children to a Gay Pride Parade is "child abuse". In fact, it's the very contrary. Getting our children to embrace difference while encouraging them to reject prejudice and bias based on race, sexual and religious differences, etc, is one of the truly great and beneficial things we can give them. 

The biblical injunctions against homosexuality merely represents the small mindnessness of the ancient biblical view. I suppose you would also condone the biblical injunctions to kill witches and stone to death disobedient children, huh?

Children who are born without arms and legs, etc is because of a bad life last time. Karma is from God.

What a load of unjustified nonsense? Both you and I know that you are completely unable to advance the least evidence for such a backward and superstitious belief.

'Karma' is simply an inane apology for not being able to advance a more intelligent and coherent explanation for natural evil.

My mother was put into an insane hospital when I was 14 ad I went to live with my sister who had married a hillbilly. He taught me to drink moonshine and steal cars. I went into the Porn business and gambled on free junckets. I built my own bar and resturant so I could enjoy my friends without driving.

Yes, your dreadful beliefs would bespeak a troubled upbringing. Such a background is the breeding place of pernicious notions.

I moved to Lake Tahoe after my divorce, so I could ski and gamble. I started reading the Bible as a rabbits foot. I went to different Churches to ask questions. After a while I move back to Ca and continued to attend Bible classes.

One Sunday I went to a Baptist Church and was told their Pastor was on vacation so I went to a different Church for Bible class. Afterwards I went back to the Baptist Church and went forward on the Evangelist invite to receive Jesus. Three seconds later I heard a voice in front of me that said "Hi Daddy" My Eight year old daughter had come to that Church with her babysitter. She had never been in Church before. That is when I knew there was a special call in my life.

The drugs, alcoholism, gambling, smoking, porno addiction were instantly removed and it has been a great 30 years since and life is great.

I'm pleased for you. Other people from completely different, and even contradictory, religions are able to tell similar stories. It merely indicates a move from one sort of extreme addiction to another, albeit a perhaps more benign one. But it's addiction all the same. The acceptance of unjustified authority coupled with extreme but insupportable beliefs is typical of the addictive personality.

True freedom lies in liberating onself from all forms of addiction, especially the kind that oblige one to embrace egregious ideas and teachings. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 07, 2011 - 1:51PM #17
iamachildofhis

Dec 7, 2011 -- 2:04AM, Namchuck wrote:

dsfin: Reincarnation is resurrection. What you are hoping for is no punishment for your sins. That also means no reward. My life has been great and I look forward to a repeat.

Namchuck: So, you don't understand the difference between reincarnation and resurrection either? Sheesh!

iama:  The Bible never speaks of reincarnation.

The Bible speaks of resuscitation and resurrection.

Biblia.com John 11

During Jesus' 3.5 years of public ministry, He resuscitated dead humans.  Lazarus was dead and his body had been lying in a cave-burial place for 4 days.  Notice that Christ Jesus told the audience outside of Lazarus' tomb, to remove the stone.  Lazarus' physical body was not such, when he was resuscitated, that he could have walked out of the tomb through the rock-door.  Lazarus returned to the physical realm, living.  Lazarus experienced physical dying, later on, for a second time.

But, Christ Jesus' physical death, dying upon a crucifixion cross, resulted not in an eventual, three days later, resuscitation, but in a resurrection.

Biblica.com John 19

Biblica.com John 20:1

Notice that Christ Jesus' resurrection body left His tomb by moving out of the tomb, even through the rock-door.  The stone-door was removed from Christ Jesus' tomb, in order for His human friends to be able to look into the tomb to see that His body was no longer there. You recall that later, while His disciples were inside of a closed-door-room, Christ Jesus came and went without need of using the doorway.  The resurrection body of Christ Jesus is the same type of resurrection body which His believers will eventually be receiving.  The physical realm's laws do not bind the resurrection body, because it is fitted to exist in the eternal realm.

Biblica.com John 19:19

Biblica.com John 20:19

If you click on the alphabet letter-link, cross references appear, and you can read these references as you run your cursor over the biblical references.

Reincarnation is the belief of some religions that you return to this physical realm post-your-death as some other creature or person.  It is not a biblical reality event.  Resurrection is a reality, biblical event.

The wonder of Christmas is that the God Who dwelt among us, now, can dwell within us. - Roy Lessin
"Father, forgive them for they know not what they do."
Justice is receiving what you deserve.
Mercy is NOT receiving what you deserve.
Grace is receiving what you DO NOT deserve.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 08, 2011 - 1:30AM #18
Namchuck

Dec 7, 2011 -- 1:51PM, iamachildofhis wrote:

Dec 7, 2011 -- 2:04AM, Namchuck wrote:

dsfin: Reincarnation is resurrection. What you are hoping for is no punishment for your sins. That also means no reward. My life has been great and I look forward to a repeat.

Namchuck: So, you don't understand the difference between reincarnation and resurrection either? Sheesh!

I never said that it did.

The Bible speaks of resuscitation and resurrection.

I know people who have been resuscitated, but never anyone who has been resurrected.

Biblia.com John 11

During Jesus' 3.5 years of public ministry, He resuscitated dead humans.  Lazarus was dead and his body had been lying in a cave-burial place for 4 days.  Notice that Christ Jesus told the audience outside of Lazarus' tomb, to remove the stone.  Lazarus' physical body was not such, when he was resuscitated, that he could have walked out of the tomb through the rock-door.  Lazarus returned to the physical realm, living.  Lazarus experienced physical dying, later on, for a second time.

Yes, the Lazarus Myth. I'm familiar with it.

But, Christ Jesus' physical death, dying upon a crucifixion cross, resulted not in an eventual, three days later, resuscitation, but in a resurrection.

I'm familiar with that myth, too. In fact, the whole dying and rising god thing is a common Middle Eastern myth.

Biblica.com John 19

Notice that Christ Jesus' resurrection body left His tomb by moving out of the tomb, even through the rock-door.  The stone-door was removed from Christ Jesus' tomb, in order for His human friends to be able to look into the tomb to see that His body was no longer there. You recall that later, while His disciples were inside of a closed-door-room, Christ Jesus came and went without need of using the doorway.  The resurrection body of Christ Jesus is the same type of resurrection body which His believers will eventually be receiving.  The physical realm's laws do not bind the resurrection body, because it is fitted to exist in the eternal realm.

If you click on the alphabet letter-link, cross references appear, and you can read these references as you run your cursor over the biblical references.

Reincarnation is the belief of some religions that you return to this physical realm post-your-death as some other creature or person.  It is not a biblical reality event.  Resurrection is a reality, biblical event.

There is very little reality dealt with in the Bible.

Resurrection is not a "reality". It's merely a belief, as is reincarnation.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 08, 2011 - 7:46PM #19
iamachildofhis

Dec 8, 2011 -- 1:30AM, Namchuck wrote:

Namchuck: I never said that it did.

iama:  I realized, from your response to dsfin, that you understand the difference between reincarnation and resurrection.  My statement "the Bible never speaks of reincarnation," was for dsfin's benefit.  Sorry for my confusing statement.

iama: The Bible speaks of resuscitation and resurrection.

Namchuck: I know people who have been resuscitated, but never anyone who has been resurrected.

iama: And that is the way that it must be, biblically.  There has only EVER been one human being who has been resurrected, Christ Jesus, incarnate God-Son, the God-Man.  The resurrection of other human beings will not take place until the appointed times: Rapture, beginning of the Millennial Reign of Christ Jesus, resurrection of the unbelieving dead at the time of the Great White Throne Judgment.

Biblia.com John 11

iama: During Jesus' 3.5 years of public ministry, He resuscitated dead humans.  Lazarus was dead and his body had been lying in a cave-burial place for 4 days.  Notice that Christ Jesus told the audience outside of Lazarus' tomb, to remove the stone.  Lazarus' physical body was not such, when he was resuscitated, that he could have walked out of the tomb through the rock-door.  Lazarus returned to the physical realm, living.  Lazarus experienced physical dying, later on, for a second time.

Namchuck: Yes, the Lazarus Myth. I'm familiar with it.

iama:  The Bible states, clearly, that historically, in this physical reality, Christ Jesus, resurrected, appeared to His followers over a period of 40 days prior to His ascension, which was, also, witnessed by his followers.

John 20:24

The Apostle Paul gives his testimony re: his conversion to believing that Jesus Christ was / is "the Son of God."

Acts 9:20

iama: But, Christ Jesus' physical death, dying upon a crucifixion cross, resulted not in an eventual, three days later, resuscitation, but in a resurrection.

I'm familiar with that myth, too. In fact, the whole dying and rising god thing is a common Middle Eastern myth.

iama:

Biblica.com John 19

The historical recordings of The New Testament give evidence that the resurrection of Christ Jesus was NOT a myth.

iama: Notice that Christ Jesus' resurrection body left His tomb by moving out of the tomb, even through the rock-door.  The stone-door was removed from Christ Jesus' tomb, in order for His human friends to be able to look into the tomb to see that His body was no longer there. You recall that later, while His disciples were inside of a closed-door-room, Christ Jesus came and went without need of using the doorway.  The resurrection body of Christ Jesus is the same type of resurrection body which His believers will eventually be receiving.  The physical realm's laws do not bind the resurrection body, because it is fitted to exist in the eternal realm.

Namchuck: There is very little reality dealt with in the Bible.

Resurrection is not a "reality". It's merely a belief, as is reincarnation.

iama:  In order for those to be true, you must discredit the historicity of The Bible. There are too many historical human beings recorded in The Bible, making it impossible for anyone to discount its historical authenticity.  The dates, the events, the humans involved, etc., are historical.

The wonder of Christmas is that the God Who dwelt among us, now, can dwell within us. - Roy Lessin
"Father, forgive them for they know not what they do."
Justice is receiving what you deserve.
Mercy is NOT receiving what you deserve.
Grace is receiving what you DO NOT deserve.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 08, 2011 - 9:05PM #20
dsfin

IAMACHILDOFHIS

The scripture Exodus 20:5-6 is where reincarnation is implied.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook