Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Switch to Forum Live View This Is Cool! Dead Sea Scrolls Now Online
3 years ago  ::  Oct 03, 2011 - 11:33AM #41
shmuelgoldstein

Sep 26, 2011 -- 7:17PM, Wanderingal wrote:

This jost in from the AP--the Dead Sea Scrolls have now been posted in toto online. Finally!

Has anyone accessed them yet?

I'll be back momentarily with the direct link.

www.thirdage.com/news/dead-sea-scrolls-n...

Mui Kewl.

I've looked at them, and I would not give the scribe an "A" in hand-writing, but heck, he's an old guy, so let's give him some slack. His handwriting is better than mine, and certainly better than my doctor's. It would take some getting used to, but after a while, it is all very clear.

The only quibble I have is when you zoom in, they don't have the chapter and verse outline. You kind of have to remember what is what exactly, and make sure that what you want to see is right in the middle of the screen.

A milestone in archaeology and Judaica. I'm proud to know that this was done with my tax money in the capitol of my country, and now is available to all of mankind. כי מציון תצא תורה ודבר ה' מירושלים

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 03, 2011 - 11:59AM #42
Wanderingal

SchmuelG--hi. Good to see you here. Thanks for your feedback.

I'm hoping the Nag Hamadi will soon follow the Dead Sea Scrolls online.

BTW--"Gut yom tov" for you and yours.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 04, 2011 - 6:58AM #43
shmuelgoldstein

Thank you for your wishes.

I see the Nag Hammadi is written in Coptic, which might make things more challenging. Does anybody use that language today?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 04, 2011 - 9:03AM #44
Wanderingal

Schmuel--hi.

I think some of the Christian Orthodox churches do--like some of the Eastern Orthodox churches--and of course the Coptic Christians themselves.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 04, 2011 - 11:44AM #45
shmuelgoldstein

So, these guys should be able to read the Hamaddi scrolls?

'Cause once I get over the handwriting, I can read these Dead Sea Scrolls almost like a newspaper. It's the same Isaiah we have today.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 04, 2011 - 11:53AM #46
Wanderingal

I don't know that.

I learned Latin in my many years of Catholic grade school but when I studied Classical Latin in high school and college it was a totally different langusge.

And those both used the same lettering.

I don't know if you've studied Hebrew but my understanding is that Biblical Hebrew is very different from the Hebrew spoken in Israel.

And then there's Yiddish....

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 04, 2011 - 12:13PM #47
shmuelgoldstein

Well, yea, there are some stylistic differences, but I've been in Israel for almost 30 years. I read the Torah all the time, and although Isaiah, being one of the prophets, is more flowery, it's still the same Isaiah we have today. It's quite clear.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 04, 2011 - 1:00PM #48
mecdukebec

I've seen the Isaiah scroll in the DSS exhibit in Milwaukee:  Utterly beautiful.  The script looks dead-on just like the script of the Masoretic text as it is printed, mechanically, in the HB textus receptus.  The scribes who did the Isaiah scroll did it with precision and sheer beauty in the lettering. 

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 17, 2011 - 9:13PM #49
rangerken

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement