Page 5 of 26  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 26 Next
3 years ago  ::  Oct 15, 2011 - 10:51AM #41
Webers_Home

Gen 5:1-9

†. Gen 5:1a . .This is the record of Adam's line.

The Bible record generally follows the genealogy that leads to Christ; but, on the way, sometimes takes little side trips along lines forking off the main stem. So Genesis first shows where Cain's line went, drops it, and then picks up Seth's; beginning at Adam. Adam's line of course includes every human being who ever lived, but the only fork in his tree that really counts is the one leading to Jesus of Nazareth : the Bible's central figure.

†. Gen 5:1b-2 . .When God created man, He made him in the likeness of God; male and female He created them. And when they were created, He blessed them and called them Man.

As a preamble to Seth's line, Genesis reminds the reader that Man's origin was by special design and special creation, and that he was made in the likeness of his creator, and that he's been a homo sapiens right from the get-go. Man didn't begin his existence as some sort of pre-human hominid named Ardi who lived in Ethiopia's Afar Rift some 4.4 million years ago. The Lord's pedigree in the book of Luke begins with his nearest male blood kin, a man named Heli, and goes all the way back to Seth and Adam. It goes no further because there is no further to go.

Some people of course have problems with Genesis because it seems so unscientific, and contrary to the (known) fossil record. But they need to be cautious because science doesn't have perfect understanding of everything yet, and it often has to be revised to reflect new discoveries, and to correct outdated theories and opinions. But to be fair, Bible students don't know everything yet either so I would advise watching the sciences for new discoveries that help fill in some blanks about not only man's progress, but also the earth's.

†. Gen 5:3a . .When Adam had lived 130 years, he begot a son

Adam lived to be 930. If we compare that age to that of the average life expectancy of American men today, Adam would have been an eleven year-old kid when Seth was born.

Eve understood Seth to be Abel's replacement. But that doesn't necessarily mean Seth was the very next boy born into the Adams family after Abel. It doesn't even mean Seth was her third child. Bible genealogies often have very large gaps in them, omitting insignificant male siblings; and typically all of the girls. In one instance; the record skips Abel and jumps right to Seth.

. 1Chrn 1:1 . . Adam, Seth, Enosh, Kenan

Here's another example :

. Ruth 4:22 . . Obed begot Jesse, and Jesse begot David.

It's true that David was Jesse's son. But he wasn't the only son, and he sure wasn't Jesse's first son either. David was the youngest of eight brothers, of whom seven were all born before him but skipped over at Ruth 4:22.

†. Gen 5:3b . . in his likeness after his image, and he named him Seth.

Adam was created in the image and likeness of God. But because of the incident in the garden, people now come into the world with Adam's image and likeness rather than God's; and Adam's is now the image and likeness of a sinful being rather than that of a divine being.

Adam's progeny are no longer subservient to the Most High God; but now answer only to themselves as gods in their own right. (Gen 3:22, Ps 82:1-8)

. Ps 51:7 . . Indeed I was born with iniquity; with sin my mother conceived me.

You know who said that? It was David, whom God said was a man after His own heart. David didn't come into the world innocent and then go on to become a sinner later on. No. It's not like that at all. He was a sinner right from the bell; from the moment of conception in his mother's womb. So technically, the Adams' progeny are sinners even prior to conception; because they became sinners in Eden; right at the very moment when their ancestors became sinners themselves.

. Rom 5:12 . . Sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all men, because all sinned

"all sinned" is in the grammatical past tense; indicating that everyone proceeding from Adam sinned in the garden when he sinned just as if they were right there physically on-site eating the forbidden fruit for themselves.

This kind of sin is called "imputed" sin; which is a kind of guilt that you incur by means of an authority higher than yourself construing that you did something wrong even though you physically didn't.

A pertinent example of the practice of "construing" can be seen in the rather infamous legal precedent that says corporations have the status of a person; implying they have, as persons, just as many rights protected by the 14th Amendment as real persons. I'm sure you can see right off how ridiculous that precedent is but some courts are actually applying it.

Anyway, the principle of imputed sin means, in a nutshell, that Adam sinned for all of us by means of our proxy participation in his act. That very principle underlies the appropriation of Christ's crucifixion by anybody who prefers to have their sins punished by a means other than going to hell. (Rom 5:12-19)

Hence :

. Rom 6:3 . .Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death?

. Rom 6:6 . . Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him

. Gal 2:20 . . I am crucified with Christ

. Col 3:3 . . For you died when Christ died

†. Gen 5:4-5 . . After the birth of Seth, Adam lived 800 years and begot sons and daughters. All the days that Adam lived came to 930 years; then he died.

Well, there goes ol' Adam, just like God predicted at Gen 3:19.

But when did Eve die? Did she outlive Adam? Who died first, Adam or Eve? Nobody really knows. But supposing Eve died quite a while before Adam? Did he remarry? And if he remarried, who did he marry? One of his own grandchildren? Well . . in Adam's case, what's so bad about that? I mean, after all, his first wife was manufactured from the organic tissues of his own body; so that in reality, Eve was his first child which means that by today's social standards; Adam practiced the worst kind of incest. At least his grandkids would have been six or seven times removed.

†. Gen 5:6-7 . .When Seth had lived 105 years, he begot Enosh. After the birth of Enosh, Seth lived 807 years and begot sons and daughters.

No doubt some people envy the longevity of the antediluvians; but I don't. Their life was hard, and for the most part, pretty boring. Would you want to live for 912 years in primitive conditions? Not me.

Was Enosh the first of Seth's children? Maybe, but probably not. However, he is the only child that counts because it's through him that we're moving towards Noah; and ultimately, Christ.

†. Gen 5:8 . . All the days of Seth came to 912 years; then he died.

(sigh) The story of our futile lives. So and So was born. He got married and had children; lived X number of years after that, and then died— same O, same O. The weary circle of life.

. Ecc 1:2-4 . . Meaningless! Futile! complains the Teacher. Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless. What does man gain from all his labor at which he toils under the sun? Generations come and generations go, but the earth remains forever.

The earth is dumber than a brick; yet it easily outlives man whose IQ is infinitely greater.

†. Gen 5:9 . .When Enosh had lived 90 years, he begot Kenan.

Kenan's name in the Hebrew is Qeynan (kay-nawn') which means: fixed or permanent; sort of like birds' nests, homes; and drifters finally ending their nomadic life and putting down some roots. Fixed can also mean that someone's life has a noble purpose and that their mind is focused upon that purpose rather than looking two ways at once.

. Luke 9:62 . . No one, having put his hand to the plow, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.

Gotta keep your eye on that brass ring.

Soon one life
Will be past.
Only what's done for Christ
Will last.

Continued  > >
/

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 16, 2011 - 10:51AM #42
Webers_Home

Gen 5:10-27

†. Gen 5:10 . . After the birth of Kenan, Enosh lived 815 years and begot sons and daughters.

You know, some of these guys really didn't accomplish very much. All they seemed to do was reproduce. But the important thing is: they made a line to Messiah and, as is the duty of patriarchs, preserved whatever sacred teachings were handed down from their fathers.

†. Gen 5:11 . . All the days of Enosh came to 905 years; then he died.

(yawn) Over and over again. Just about everybody reproduces in chapter five. And just about everybody dies too.

†. Gen 5:12-20 . .When Kenan had lived 70 years, he begot Mahalalel. After the birth of Mahalalel, Kenan lived 840 years and begot sons and daughters. All the days of Kenan came to 910 years; then he died. When Mahalalel had lived 65 years, he begot Jared. After the birth of Jared, Mahalalel lived 830 years and begot sons and daughters. All the days of Mahalalel came to 895 years; then he died. When Jared had lived 162 years, he begot Enoch. After the birth of Enoch, Jared lived 800 years and begot sons and daughters. All the days of Jared came to 962 years; then he died.

Four of those men— Enoch, Jared, Mahalalel, and Kenan (Cainan) —are listed in the Lord's genealogy at Luke 3:37-38.

†. Gen 5:21 . .When Enoch had lived 65 years, he begot Methuselah.

Methuselah's name is Methuwshelach (meth-oo-sheh'-lakh) which is a compound word made up of math (math) which means an adult (as of full length or full size), and shelach (sheh'-lakh) which means a missile of attack, i.e. a spear, sling stone, or perhaps an arrow. Methuselah was a man-size weapon rather than one that might be employed by girly boys.

Today our preferred missile of attack from a hand held weapon is the bullet. A Methuselah bullet would probably be known today as a magnum. Magnums cost more than normal ammo but hit harder, go further, and cause more damage (they're louder too). A modern name that might correspond to Methuselah is Long Tom— a nickname often given to very large canons. Maybe they meant to call him Big Guy because he was such a heavy newborn.

†. Gen 5:22-23 . . After the birth of Methuselah, Enoch walked with God 300 years; and he begot sons and daughters. All the days of Enoch came to 365 years.

Enoch was a fiery preacher, speaking the words recorded in Jude 1:14-15; warning people prior to the Flood that Almighty God intends to make the wicked give an account of themselves some day.

†. Gen 5:24a . . Enoch walked with God;

This is the very first man on record who is actually said to have walked with God. People still walk with God. Here's a useful acronym that covers most of the essential elements of faith regarding walking with God. The acronym is ROTC.

Read your Bible.
Obey His will
Talk with God
Confess your sins.

Those who are outwardly religious, but don't actually walk with God, might be wise to give this next little saying some thought.

Ye call me Lord and respect me not.
Ye call me Master and obey me not.
Ye call me Light and see me not.
Ye call me Way and walk me not.
Ye call me Life and choose me not.
Ye call me Wise and follow me not.
Ye call me Kind and love me not.
Ye call me Just and fear me not.
If I condemn thee, blame me not.

. Mal 1:6 . . A son honors his father, and a servant his master. If I am a father, where is the honor due me? If I am a master, where is the fear due me?

. 1John 1:6 . . If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth.

On the page of Scripture, Enoch isn't said to walk with God until after his little boy Methuselah was born; suggesting perhaps that parenthood can have an amazing influence on some men's attitude towards their maker— some men.

†. Gen 5:24b . . then he was no more, because God took him away.

Enoch has the distinction of being the shortest lived man in chapter five. But he didn't die a natural death. He crossed over to the next life miraculously.

. Heb 11:5 . . Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God.

The koiné Greek word for "translate" is metatithemi (met-at-ith'-ay-mee) which means: to transfer,  to transport, to exchange, to change sides, or to pervert. In other words, Enoch went from being physical to metaphysical in the blink of an eye. Precisely what became of the corpse isn't revealed.

. 1Cor 15:50 . . I declare to you, brothers, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God.

Where did Enoch go after separating from his body? Not to heaven.

. John 3:13 . . No man has ascended to heaven but he who came down from heaven: the Son of Man who is in heaven.

According to Luke 16:19-31, Acts 2:24-28, and 1Pet 3:18-20, people departed from their mortal bodies are warehoused in one of two possible locations somewhere in the afterlife.

†. Gen 5:25-27 . .When Methuselah had lived 187 years, he begot Lamech. After the birth of Lamech, Methuselah lived 782 years and begot sons and daughters. All the days of Methuselah came to 969 years; then he died.

Ol' Methuselah holds the record for longevity. He outlived his son Lamech, dying five years after him in the very year the Flood came; when Methuselah's grandson Noah was 600. Whether or not Methuselah died in the Flood or by natural causes is not said. However, he may indeed have perished in it right along with all of the rest of Noah's relatives. Just because men are listed in Messiah's genealogy doesn't necessarily mean they were righteous. In point of fact, some of the Davidic kings in Jesus' line were totally wicked men beyond remedy. (e.g. Jer 22:24-30)

Continued  > >
/

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 17, 2011 - 10:49AM #43
Webers_Home

Gen 5:28-32

†. Gen 5:28-29 . .When Lamech had lived 182 years, he begot a son. And he named him Noah, saying: This one will provide us relief from our work and from the toil of our hands, out of the very soil which the Lord placed under a curse.

The word for "Noah" is from nuwach (noo'-akh) and means: rest or quiet. But not the kind of quiet one might find in a sound-proof room. More like the peace and quiet a person would experience by getting away from anxiety, fear, conflict, and toil.

Lamech speaks as one fatigued with the business of living, and as one grudging that so much energy— which otherwise might have been much better employed in leisure, entertainment, or self improvement —was unavoidably spent in toil and labor necessary simply to survive.

Lamech undoubtedly saw that Noah was a very special boy; the next patriarch after himself. Perhaps he hoped Noah was the promised seed of the woman; the one who would crush the Serpent's head, remove the curse, and restore the Earth to its former prosperity and glory; thus making for Man a much more enjoyable experience than the one he is subjected to for now.

. Rom 8:18-21 . . I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us. For the creation waits with eager longing for the revealing of the sons of God: for the creation was subjected to futility, not of its own will but by the will of him who subjected it in hope; because the creation itself will be set free from its slavery to decay and obtain the glorious liberty of the children of God.

. Acts 3:19-21 . . Repent therefore and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, so that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord, and that He may send Jesus Christ, who was preached to you before, whom heaven must receive until the times of restoration of all things, which God has spoken by the mouth of all His holy prophets since the world began.

According to Acts 3:19-21, men have been pounding pulpits since the very beginning, and all of the prophets, ever since Abel, have looked ahead in anxious anticipation to Messiah's intervention in world affairs and bringing into existence a much better world than the one that is now.

†. Gen 5:30-32 . . After the birth of Noah, Lamech lived 595 years and begot sons and daughters. All the days of Lamech came to 777 years; then he died. When Noah had lived 500 years, Noah begot Shem, Ham, and Japheth.

Lamech escaped the Flood by a mere 5 years. It came when Noah was 600 (Gen 7:6).

Shem was the next patriarch after his dad Noah. But the names of all three boys are given probably because of the role they will play in re-populating the Earth after the Flood. The Bible doesn't say that Shem, Ham, and Japheth were especially good men. They survived the Flood in spite of their character only because they got aboard the ark with their dad when it was time for the rain to begin. If they had mocked, and remained on land with the rest of the world, then they would have certainly drowned right along with everyone else in spite of their ancestry.

So; were Mr and Mrs Noah childless until Noah was 500 years old? Probably not. The other kids, if there were any, didn't count as far as God was concerned, and, if there were any, they perished in the deluge. Being related to holy men like rabbis, pastors or deacons doesn't guarantee a ticket to safety. Everyone has to make their own personal decisions in that regard (e.g. Gen 19:12-14). God commands all people everywhere to repent. Refuse, and it's curtains; no matter how important, nor well connected, your relatives might be.

Continued  > >
/

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 18, 2011 - 11:14AM #44
Webers_Home

Gen 6:1-2

†. Gen 6:1-2 . . Now it came about, when men began to multiply on the face of the land, and daughters were born to them, that the sons of God saw that the daughters of men were good; and they took wives for themselves, whomever they chose.

The Hebrew word for "good in that passage is towb (tobe) which is the very same word that Genesis utilizes to evaluate God's handiwork in creation; e.g. Light (Gen 1:4) Land and Seas (Gen 1:10) Vegetation (Gen 1:12) Sun, Moon, and Stars (Gen 1:18) Birds and Aquatic Life (Gen 1:21) Beasts and Bugs (Gen 1:25) and the finished product (Gen 1:31).

Towb is one of those ambiguous Hebrew words that can be utilized as either a noun or an adjective in a wide variety of applications. It can indicate morality, it can indicate a tasty meal, it can indicate a job well done, it can indicate a nice man, it can indicate a pretty dress, it can indicate a shapely woman and/or a handsome man, and it can indicate an expert musician and/or a really groovy song like Lady Gaga's "Bad Romance"

In my judicious estimation, when God's handiwork turned out "good" towb indicates that the cosmos— and all of its forms of life, matter, and energy —came out just the way God wanted it to; perfectly suited to the purposes He had in mind when He designed everything. But when it comes to women; I think it's pretty safe to assume towb indicates their looks.

Ambiguous Hebrew words like towb serve to illustrate why it's virtually impossible to translate Hebrew into English with 100% precision. No linguist in his right mind would dare to say that English versions of the Hebrew Old Testament are perfect word-for-word renditions of the original manuscripts— no; they can't even be certified perfect word-for-word renditions of the available manuscripts let alone the originals.

The precise identity of the "sons of God" has been debated. Some say they were the sons of the aristocracy of that day who married attractive women from among the commoners. Others say they were renegade spirit beings who cohabited with human beings to produce a hybrid strain of hominid freaks. Others say they were pious men who, instead of marrying pious women of like faith, married outsiders; viz: infidels— implying that "daughters of men" are irreverent women who didn't fear the Bible's God. (e.g. Gen 26:34-35)

It's quite rational to deduce from the text that otherwise pious men were overcome with sensual lust and built themselves harems of impious women; who subsequently became the mothers of irreverent children. Intermarriage between men of faith and infidel women is a proven tactic for watering down, compromising, and even extinguishing Bible beliefs and practices (e.g. Num 31:7-16). The people of God are strictly, unequivocally, and clearly forbidden to marry outside their faith. (Deut 7:1-4, 2Cor 6:14-18)

In a mixed relationship, one a believer and the other an infidel, the believer will be forced to compromise their convictions in order to keep the relationship going. Compromise in the area of spiritual values is not a good thing for God's people. It's not only bad for the conscience, but will quickly ruin a believer's relationship with their Lord. (1John 1:6)

Most people want love, romance, companionship, and a family of their own. According to Gen 1:27-28, and Gen 2:21-24, those things are Divine blessings, they're perfectly normal, nothing to be ashamed of; nor is there anything intrinsically naughty or sinful about them. But a believer has to be self controlled, and not permit their base nature to make them lose their heads and ruin their chances for happiness. Adult dating is where it starts. And adult dating isn't harmless. It leads to other things, and it leads into commitments and promises that are not easily reneged. The end result of adult dating is ultimately marriage and children (quite possibly illegitimate children). Whose religion will prevail in the marriage? Whose religion will be taught to the children? The believer's or the infidel's? And ultimately, who will get the children's souls— God, or the Serpent?

Some couples try to accommodate each other's beliefs by teaching their children the concepts of both religions. For example, a marriage between a Buddhist and a Christian. The children are given a choice between the Dharma and the Bible. That may seem like a good idea, but it only creates confusion in the minds of the children. Why are mom and dad not in agreement? Whose religion is right? Can both be right? Does it mean that one religion is just as good as the next?

Teaching their children more than one system of spiritual beliefs and practices is out of the question for Christians because the Lord and Master of New Testament Christianity demands their exclusive devotion.

. John 14:6 . . I am the path and the truth . . No one comes to the Father except through me.

. 1Tim 2:5 . . For there is one God, and one mediator between God and humanity; the man Christ Jesus

Wives can be very effective in influencing an otherwise pious man to compromise his convictions (e.g. Gen 3:6). All too often, in a mixed marriage, the mother's religion will be taught to her children because husbands, as a rule, put a higher priority on sex and peace in the home than religion, so they won't risk alienating mama by forcing the issue. The sons of God in Noah's day— whose wives were chosen based solely upon sex appeal sans any spiritual prudence whatsoever —all perished in the Flood right along with their infidel wives and children. Not a one of them had the good sense to go aboard the ark with Noah.

It's never wise for believers to marry outside their faith. A good example is Solomon. He got off to a good start but down the road accumulated a harem of foreign women who led him into idolatry; which subsequently caused The Lord to engineer rebellion in the kingdom. (1Kgs 11 & 12)

Continued  > >
/

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 19, 2011 - 11:45AM #45
Webers_Home

Gen 6:3-4

†. Gen 6:3a . . And Yhvh said: My Spirit shall not strive with man forever

Some translations have "abide" instead of strive. But the Hebrew word is diyn (deen) which means: to rule; by implication to judge (as umpire); also to strive (as at law). It can also mean to plead the cause of; or to contend in argument.

There does come a time when God's patience runs out. Not because He can't take it anymore, but because when human beings become too decadent, too incorrigible, then any more reasoning with them is like trying to tear down the Berlin Wall with a feather duster.

The Spirit's preferred method of striving with the antediluvians was via the pulpit of an inspired man.

. 2 Pet 2:4-5 . . He did not spare the ancient world when he brought the Flood on its ungodly people, but protected Noah, a preacher of righteousness

The Spirit that inspired Noah was none other than the pre-incarnate Word of the Lord God.

. 1Per 3:17-20 . . He was put to death in the body but made alive by The Spirit, through whom also he went and preached to the spirits in prison who disobeyed long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were conveyed safely through the water

Contrary to the mushy, sob-sister brand of Christianity going around like swine flu, there is a time when forgiveness is not only impossible, but it's also unreasonable. Hell is populated with people who will never, ever be forgiven. They crossed a line and now there's no going back; ever. God no longer has any interest in their welfare. They are forgotten and ignored; and can expect neither pity nor sympathy from God ever again— only mockery.

. Prv 1:22-28 . . How long will you simple ones love simplicity, you scoffers be eager to scoff, you dullards hate knowledge? You are indifferent to my rebuke; I will now speak my mind to you, and let you know my thoughts.

. . . Since you refused me when I called, and paid no heed when I extended my hand— you spurned all my advice, and would not hear my rebuke —I will laugh at your calamity, and mock when terror comes upon you; when terror comes like disaster, and calamity arrives like a tornado, when trouble and distress come upon you. Then they shall call me but I will not answer; they shall seek me but not find me.

†. Gen 6:3b . . for they are mortal flesh.

The word "mortal" isn't really mortal. It's from shagag (shaw-gag') which means: to stray; viz: sin. The phrase "they are only mortal flesh" is actually huw' bshagam baasaar which means: they are sinful flesh.

That is one of the most striking statements in the Bible; straight from God Himself— His own judicious estimation that man isn't basically good; no, au contraire; man is quite basically evil.

Some feel that the doctrine of "The Total Depravity Of Man" is a wholly Christian invention. Far from it. Here in Genesis, the very first book of the Bible, in man's prehistoric years, prior to the Flood, prior to Abraham, prior to Jesus, and prior to the New Testament; God said: they are sinful flesh.

†. Gen 6:3c . . yet his days shall be one hundred and twenty years.

Some feel that God set the limits of human longevity in that verse. But people still continued to live long lives for a great number of years afterwards. Even Abraham, who lived many, many years after the Flood, didn't die till he was 175 years old. It's more reasonable to conclude that God was announcing a deadline. They had 120 years to get ready to meet their maker. But you think that alarmed anybody? Heck no. They went right on; business as usual.

. Luke 17:26-27 . . And as it was in the days of Noah, so it will be also in the days of the Son of Man: They ate, they drank, they married wives, they were given in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark, and the flood came and destroyed them all.

The time of God's patience is sometimes long; but never unlimited; viz: reprieves are not pardons— though God bear a great while, He never bears forever.

†. Gen 6:4 . .The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men, and they bore children to them. Those were the mighty men who were of old, men of renown.

Nephilism is a curious syndrome that produces men of extraordinary mettle. The conditions is apparently predominant in males. Personality-wise, the Nephilim were above average in recognition and achievement, and mirrored the Vikings in exploits and daring. They were a strong, terrifying people to be feared and avoided; as were the Mongols under the leadership of Genghis Khan in the thirteenth century.

Not all Nephilistic people are blood thirsty; but I think it's safe to characterize all of them as highly competitive over-achievers in politics, business, sports, military, entertainment, and religion. The Nephilim of that day all perished in Noah's flood, but the syndrome itself resurfaced later in the sons of a man named Anak.

. Num 13:31-33 . . But the men who had gone up with him said: We cannot attack that people, for it is stronger than we. Thus they spread calumnies among the Israelites about the land they had scouted, saying: The country that we traversed and scouted is one that devours its settlers. All the people that we saw in it are men of great size; we saw the Nephilim there— the Anakites are part of the Nephilim— and we looked like grasshoppers to ourselves, and so we must have looked to them.

The Anakites were famous for their size and prowess.

. Deut 9:1-2 . . Hear, O Israel! You are about to cross the Jordan to go in and dispossess nations greater and more populous than you: great cities with walls sky-high; a people great and tall, the Anakites, of whom you have knowledge; for you have heard it said: Who can stand up to the children of Anak?

The Nephilim didn't migrate here from Jupiter. No, they descended from Adam; as does everybody else— the short and the tall, the great and the mediocre, the doers of amazing things, and the doers of nothing significant. The Hebrew word for "Nephilim" is nephiyl (nef-eel') which, though some Bible's translate "giants" actually means a bully; viz: a tyrant; which Webster's defines as an oppressive ruler unrestrained by either law or constitution. According to that; even a wiry little Bantam rooster is a nephiyl. In other words: one needn't be tall and broad to fit the description. I think most of us would agree that despots like Kim Jong Ill and Robert Mugabe are nephiyls; but in reality, even the predatory barracudas infesting Wall Street, and the unscrupulous CEO's commanding corporate board rooms fit the description just as well.

Continued  > >
/

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 20, 2011 - 12:34PM #46
Webers_Home

Gen 6:5-7

†. Gen 6:5 . .Yhvh saw how great was man's wickedness on earth, and how every plan devised by his mind was nothing but evil all the time.

It's one thing to be guilty of an evil act. It's quite another to be infected with an evil mind. There are some who believe that God weighs only actions. But here, in the very beginning, God was already weighing the activity of the human mind. And He says that the human mind was evil —not just some of the time, but all the time.

What does that mean really? Does it mean that people in those days thought only about rape, and robbery, and embezzlement, and kidnapping, and sleeping around, and entertainment, and food, and power, and wealth, and revenge? Maybe. I guess you could include those things; but it goes much deeper than that.

God said that antediluvian man was lawless (Gen 6:11) which Webster's defines as: unruly; viz: unrestrained by laws and rules. It's not really eo ipso evil to be lawless if one's intuitive moral compass is in harmony with the absolutes of right and wrong. But man's moral compass parted company with his maker's moral compass because of the forbidden fruit incident. In other words: the antediluvians' moral compass didn't point north; in point of fact, it pointed in no direction at all but instead simply spun around like a roulette wheel, so that what they thought was right, was, in many cases, actually wrong; and what they thought was wrong, was, in many cases, actually right.

. Isa 5:20-21 . .Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter! Woe unto them that are wise in their own eyes, and prudent in their own sight!

†. Gen 6:6 . . And Yhvh regretted that He had made man on earth, and His heart was saddened.

"Regret" is from the Hebrew word nacham (naw-kham') which means, among other things: to sigh, i.e. breathe strongly, to groan; by implication, to be sorry, i.e. (in a favorable sense) to pity.

God doesn't hate Himself for creating Man. No, not at all. On the final day of creation, when Man was created, God looked back over His handiwork and announced it was all not just good; but "very good".

Creation's God was pained by the antediluvians' decadence; much as a parent is disappointed in a child for whom they had high hopes, but ends up a loser instead. The antediluvians resisted God's Spirit by turning a deaf ear to Noah's pulpit— they finally resisted his preaching to the point of no return. Hence: God was saddened; and finally, because nothing else could be done; He removed them from the earth as a HazMat team would deal with a chemical spill. They were toxic and God was forced to take drastic steps to clean up their mess.

†. Gen 6:7 . .Yhvh said: I will blot out from the earth the men whom I created— men together with beasts, creeping things, and birds of the sky; for it grieves me that I made them.

The wording of that verse makes it look like God was grieved with the animal kingdom too; but I seriously don't think that's the right way to take it. Through no fault of their own, they became collateral damage.

The Hebrew word for "blot" is from machah (maw-khaw') which means: to stroke or rub; by implication, to erase; also to smooth (as if with oil), i.e. grease or make fat; also to touch, i.e. reach to.

God intended to not only remove the antediluvians from the face of the earth, but also to scrub off all of their works too so that when He was done, it would be very difficult to even be able to tell the antediluvians were ever here at all.

It’s always been a mystery to me why paleo-anthropologists have managed to find so few fossilized remains of pre-historic human beings. In 1992, Tim White of the University of California at Berkeley, discovered the fossilized skeletons of human-like creatures in Ethiopia's Afar Rift who lived 4.4 million years ago but those are not the remains of homo sapiens; but rather, of beasts that resemble homo sapiens. To my knowledge; no truly human remains have been found from that era.

But my point is : Where are the remains of the antediluvians? They’re gone; lock, stock, and barrel— no metal implements from Tubal-Cain's blacksmith shop, no musical instruments from Jubal's work shop, no dwellings, no footprints, no bones, no pottery, no cave art, no nothing. It's like they were never here. God moved against the antediluvians like a relentless newspaper editor deleting superfluous words and sentences so skillfully that the reader cannot even tell those superfluous words and sentences ever existed in the original copy.

Continued  > >
/

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 21, 2011 - 9:12AM #47
Webers_Home

Gen 6:8-11a

†. Gen 6:8 . . But Noah found favor with The Lord.

The word for "favor" is from chen (khane) and means: graciousness. Translators sometimes render chen as "grace". It can be either grace or favor; but the important thing is that The Lord didn't find chen with Noah. No, just the opposite— Noah found chen with The Lord.

Webster's defines "graciousness" as merciful, compassionate, kind, courteous, cordial, affable, genial, and sociable. Those are all good qualities, and the very things you would expect to see in someone you loved and trusted— like your spouse or a very close friend.

But though Yhvh was Noah's buddy; He wasn't a buddy to Noah's neighbors.

†. Gen 6:9 . .This is the line of Noah.— Noah was a righteous man: he was blameless in his era; Noah walked with God.

Three things are said of Noah: 1) He was righteous, 2) he was blameless, and 3) he walked with God.

The Hebrew word for "righteous" is from tsaddiyq (tsad-deek') which means: just.

Webster's provides several definitions of "just", but perhaps the ones best suited for our purpose are: conscientious, honest, honorable, right, scrupulous, true, dependable, reliable, tried, trustworthy, dispassionate, equal, equitable, impartial, nondiscriminatory, objective, unbiased, uncolored, and unprejudiced. So then, Noah was not only religious to his fingertips; but he was a pretty decent guy to boot.

The word for "blameless" is from tamiym (taw-meem') and means: entire (literally, figuratively or morally); also (as noun) integrity, truth.

Being blameless doesn't eo ipso imply sinless. Here's an example.

. Luke 1:5-6 . . In the time of Herod king of Judea there was a priest named Zechariah, who belonged to the priestly division of Abijah; his wife Elizabeth was also a descendant of Aaron. Both of them were upright in the sight of God, observing all the Lord's commandments and regulations blamelessly.

The Lord's commandments and regulations are divided in two major parts : the religious laws, and the civil laws. The religious laws are sub-divided into sacrificial laws and procedural laws. The sacrificial laws were used to atone for breaking all the other laws. So that Zechariah and his wife didn't have to be sinless in order to be blameless, they just had to be taking full advantage of the sacrificial laws in order to cover their tracks. In fact, Zechariah himself was an officiator of those very same sacrificial laws in his daily duties as an Aaronic priest; and once a year he sprinkled blood on the mercy seat for not only his constituents' sins, but for his own also.

Though neither Noah nor Zechariah were sinless, God rated them blameless because biblical blamelessness isn't rated by one's sins but rather by one's wholeness. In other words, Noah and Zechariah crossed all the T's and dotted all the I's in their relationship with God; and one of those T's and I's is owning one's sins.

. Ps 32:5-6 . . I acknowledged my sin to you, and my iniquity I have not concealed. I said: I will confess my transgressions to Yhvh; and you forgave the iniquity of my sin. For this cause shall everyone who is godly pray to you in a time when you may be found.

. 1John 1:9 . . If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

If Christians desire to buddy up with their God in this life, then they have to knuckle down and walk alongside Him like Noah did; viz: they have to live according to God’s wishes instead of their own.

. John 14:22-24 . . Judas (not Iscariot) said to him: Master; why are you going to reveal yourself only to us and not to the world at large? Jesus answered and said to him: If anyone loves me, he will keep my word; and my Father will love him, and we will come to that person and make our home with him. Anyone who doesn't love me will not do as I say. And remember, my words are not my own. This message is from the Father who sent me.

. Rom 12:1-2 . .  I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices: holy and pleasing to God— this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is-his good, pleasing and perfect will.

The most incredible thing about Noah was his degree of piety in a world gone mad with evil. He must have endured an enormous amount of opposition, ridicule, criticism, and thoughtless remarks. Yet he persisted and didn't cave in to the thinking of his neighbors and friends; nor of his brothers and sisters, nor of his nieces and nephews, nor of any of the rest of his kin. Only his wife, and his three sons and their wives responded to Noah's preaching; yet he continued to warn people about the Flood right up to the end.

To the majority of modern intellectuals, Noah is merely a mythical character, and to them his ark and its animals are nothing but a story-book menagerie for children's coloring books. To them, it is much too naïve to give any serious consideration to Noah being a real person. However, later writers of the Bible felt differently. God lists Noah among three of the most righteous men in history.

. Ezk 14:13-14 . . Son of man, when a land sins against Me by persistent unfaithfulness, I will stretch out My hand against it; I will cut off its supply of bread, send famine on it, and cut off man and beast from it. Even if these three men, Noah, Daniel, and Job, were in it, they would deliver only themselves by their righteousness: testifies Yhvh God.

Noah was actually a nobody in his day; eclipsed by the Nephilim, those mighty men who were of old, the men of renown. They got all the press, the publicity, and the notoriety while God's man went marginalized and largely ignored.

†. Gen 6:10 . . Noah begot three sons: Shem, Ham, and Japheth.

Were those the only kids Noah had? And no daughters? I seriously doubt it. Noah was six hundred when the flood began. It is unlikely that a healthy, hard working, robust man would live that long without engendering a much larger family than three; especially in those days without birth control. But these three boys are the only ones that count now because they're going on the ark with their dad.

†. Gen 6:11a . .The world became corrupt before God;

The word for "corrupt" is shachath (shaw-khath') which means: to decay; viz: to become decadent.

The perspective "before God" indicates the Almighty's own personal estimation. No doubt the antediluvians disagreed with God's evaluation of their condition just like people today disagree with His evaluation of their condition. According to the Bible, Christ went to the cross to atone for the sins of the whole world; not for just part of the world: indicating that the whole world's default destination in the afterlife is the Bible's hell. That doesn't set well with people. Everybody by default doomed to hell? the good as well as the bad? that can't be! but yes, it be.

Continued  > >
/

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 22, 2011 - 10:46AM #48
Webers_Home

Gen 6:11b-14

†. Gen 6:11b . . the earth was filled with lawlessness.

Crime is pretty much the inevitable outcome in a world of sinful beings sans law and order. Nobody was accountable for a single thing in those days. The only rules that may have existed were those among clans or in towns. But those rules wouldn't be universal. Rules like that would be different from clan to clan and from town to town. And primitive clans are known to war with each other on a regular basis like the Native Americans did here in America's early years.

I just hope I don't live to see the day when some sort of nationwide disaster, like a nuclear holocaust, occurs in America. Nobody will be safe. Electrical power will be out, the banks won't be open, ATM machines won't work, and everyone will be so desperate to survive. Roving gangs of thugs will prowl the rubble looking to scavenge and to steal anything not nailed down or protected by guards. Law enforcement and medical services will be so overwhelmed that dialing 911 will be no more productive than writing a letter to Santa Claus; that is, if telephones even work. If hurricane Katrina taught us anything in New Orleans, it's that large-scale disasters produce large-scale anarchy and chaos.

According to the 2011 World Almanac, in the year 2009, there were a total of 4,343,450 violent crimes committed against individuals in the USA . The number of property crimes committed against individuals totaled 15,580,510. Those totals exclude arson and non-victim types of crimes like perjury, contempt of court, internet hackers, identity theft, traffic violations, J-walking, trespassing, animal abuse, feeding parking meters, cheating on taxes; et al.

The criminal element has neither honor nor sympathy for its victims. After the September 29, 2009 tsunami subsided in Samoa, residents returned to neighborhoods only to find that their homes had been looted.

And to think the USA and its territories are a society of law abiding citizens. Just think what it must have been like in Noah's day with no organized civil authority whatsoever to control crime. All I can say is; if something really bad should ever happen here in the USA, you’d better own deadly weapons like swords and guns because neither your life nor your possessions will be safe after dark.

†. Gen 6:12-13a . . God saw how corrupt the earth had become, for all the people on earth had corrupted their ways. So God said to Noah: I am going to put an end to all people, for the earth is filled with violence because of them.

Some people would probably like to translate some of that verse like this: "for the earth is filled with violence through God." But Genesis doesn't say it was filled with violence through God; no, God said it was filled with violence through them.

†. Gen 6:13b . . I am about to destroy them with the earth.

Here is set a precedent of God forewarning His own when He is about to execute a disastrous event upon the earth. The Passover was another such example. God forewarned Moses, and Moses' people, of the imminent annihilation of all the firstborn of Man and Beast in Egypt; which would also impact Moses and his people if they didn't do exactly as God said and paint the blood of a lamb on their door jambs (Ex 11:1-13). And our man Noah, super-duper righteous saint that he was, would have drowned right along with the rest of the antediluvians had he neglected to construct an ark. When God gives a warning, it is best to respond accordingly.

. Prv 22:3 . . A prudent man sees danger and takes refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it.

†. Gen 6:14a . . Make yourself an ark

The Hebrew word for ark is tebah (tay-baw') and just simply indicates, not a ship, but a nondescript box. The only other place tebah is used again in the Old Testament is of the little watertight container Moses' mom constructed to hide him from Pharaoh's henchmen (Ex 2:1-10).

†. Gen 6:14b . . of gopher wood;

Nobody really knows for sure exactly what kind of trees Noah used to make the ark. The word for "gopher" has nothing to do with little subterranean rodents. It's a transliteration of the Hebrew word gopher (go'-fer) which only suggests a kind of tree suitable for building structures out of wood. Some think it was cypress because the wood of those trees is so resinous that it resists rotting even after prolonged submersion in water. Others think it may have been cedar or spruce; which are good too. Unfortunately, this is the one and only occurrence of gopher in the entire Old Testament so there's no other passages that might help identify a specific kind of tree.

†. Gen 6:14c . . make it an ark with compartments,

The word for "compartments" is from qen (kane) which means: a nest (as fixed), sometimes including the nestlings; figuratively, a chamber or dwelling. The construction of nests (and stalls) indicates the animals weren’t just herded or jammed together like the crowds attending an outdoor rock concert. They were neatly stowed aboard in their own areas and apparently made to feel quite comfortable.

†. Gen 6:14d . . and cover it inside and out with pitch.

The word for "pitch" is kopher (ko'-fer) which means: a cover. It can also mean a village (as covered in); and also bitumen (as used for coating) and the henna plant (as used for dye).

Kopher is a common word in the Old testament for "atonement" which is like pitch as a coating, or a covering, which is not only a sealing compound like the stuff people apply to weatherproof their patio decks, but also a concealment coating like tar and feathers.

An atonement, while not actually removing sins; served to conceal them, which, for all intents and purposes, granted the sinner a reprieve until Christ's crucifixion fully satisfied justice for their conduct, (Rom 3:23-25) and that's the means by which the Lord became an atonement.

. Col 3:3 . . For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.

The koiné Greek word for "hid" is krupto (kroop'-to) which means: to conceal (by covering). It some locations krupto is translated: to keep as a secret.

Prior to Christ; Yhvh's worshippers didn't die for their sins; their sacrifices did the dying. However, Christ's atonement goes one better in that it executes the Lord's followers by means of their proxy participation in his crucifixion. On the books, the Lord's atonement not only conceals his follower's sin; it puts them to death too.

. Rom 6:3 . . Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?

. Rom 6:6 . . Our old self was crucified with him

. Gal 2:20 . . I am crucified with Christ

Anyway; coating the ark with bitumen not only served to waterproof it; but also preserved the wood for future uses after the Flood subsided when Noah no longer had need of a titanic water craft.

Continued  > >
/

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 23, 2011 - 11:11AM #49
Webers_Home

Gen 6:15-16

†. Gen 6:15a . .This is how you shall make it:

Some have objected that since paper and writing were not yet invented in Noah's day, then God couldn't possible have provided him with plans to the ark. But any pictograph, even one on a clay tablet or a rock face, qualifies as a drawing. That objection infers that the Bible's God was illiterate until Man learned to read. (chuckle) I guess it just never occurs to them that holy men like Noah were far more advanced than your average cave-dwelling hominid.

†. Gen 6:15b . . the length of the ark shall be three hundred cubits, its width fifty cubits, and its height thirty cubits.

There was a cubit among the Babylonians, and one in Egypt too. But there seems to have existed double standards in both countries. Because of that, there exists no undisputed example of the cubit that remains to the present time; so the length of the cubit has been variously estimated.

One of the ancient cubits was the length of a man's forearm, from the elbow to the tip of the middle finger, as is implied from the derivation of the word in Hebrew and from the Latin cubitum. It seems to be referred to also in Deut 3:11 "after the cubit of a man." But that’s too vague, and unsuitable for a scientific standard because not all men's arms are exactly alike.

The Babylonians employed two different cubits, the so-called royal cubit and the common cubit. From the remains of buildings in Assyria and Babylonia, the royal cubit is made out to be about 20.6 inches. A cubit of similar length was used in Egypt. This was probably the cubit mentioned by Ezk 40:5 and possibly that of Solomon's temple: "cubits after the first measure" (2 Chr 3:3)

The commercial cubit was shorter, and has been variously estimated at between 16 and 18 inches or more, but the evidence of the Siloam inscription and of the tombs in Palestine seems to indicate 17.6 inches as the average length. This was the cubit of six palms, while the longer one was of seven (Ezk 40:5). The cubit mentioned in Judges 3:16 is from a different word, the Hebrew gomedh, and was probably shorter.

The cubit of Noah's day remains a total mystery. We have no way of knowing exactly how long it was. Maybe Noah and his boys passed on their antediluvian knowledge of weights and measures to the post-flood world and it stayed pretty close to the original standards over the years; but it's impossible to know for sure.

If we use an 18-inch cubit as a close approximation, then the ark would have been in the neighborhood of 450' long x 75' wide x 45' high. The ark's beam was 30 feet wider than its height, so should have proved very stable, and difficult to capsize even in rough seas— especially since it had a flat bottom, which was good too for the purpose intended.

Nothing fancy. Since it didn't have to navigate, nor did it require a means of propulsion, there was no practical need for a bow, or a stern, or a wheel house, a rudder, sails, engine room, anchor, windlasses, or masts— not even a handrail around the main deck. Since the ark didn't have to cut through the water like a schooner, there was no need for tapered undersides. All the ark really had to do was float. It was really nothing in the world but a barge: and a very crude barge at that. Really little more than a very large watertight crate.

Compared to modern ships, 450 feet is not all that big. Oil tankers are around 1,500, and the Nimitz aircraft carrier is about 1,092 feet. The distance from home plate to the center field fence in major league baseball, averages 400 feet or better. So the ark would just about fit into Yankee stadium. The main playing area of a football field is 300 feet. Add 26 more for the end zones, and the total is 326; which is still 124 feet short of the ark's length but at least gives some idea of its scale.

†. Gen 6:16a . . Make an opening for daylight in the ark, and terminate it within a cubit of the top.

The ark was probably capped with a sloped roof so the immense volumes of water falling from the sky during the rain stage of flood wouldn't impinge it perpendicularly; but rather strike a glancing blow; and the eves were likely quite considerable so water running off the roof wouldn't find its way to the window. Whether or not the window was shuttered isn't stated, but was very likely a practical consideration. The first forty days of the Flood were extremely inclement.

The dimensions of the window aren't stated. It could have been as wide as six feet and extended the full length and width of the ark— all the way around it; who really knows. The only requirement was that it be adequate for light; but undoubtedly served for ventilation too. With all that respiration going on in there, Noah's air supply would become foul in very short order.

†. Gen 6:16b . . Put the entrance to the ark in its side; make it with bottom, second, and third decks.

A hatch in the hull was practical. Its cover could be let down as a boarding ramp.

The very bottom of a ship is normally not counted as a deck. The lowest deck is usually somewhat above the bottom and separated from it by a void called the double bottom. That way if the actual bottom is pierced, the ship won't sink because the void is sealed. Whether or not Noah's ark had a double bottom is unknown; but likely it had at least a bilge because the lowest deck needs to be above the bottom a bit so the passengers and crew don't have to slosh around down there in the lower parts of the ship where fetid water and other unsavory liquids typically collect.

The spaces between decks were fairly tall. If we divide 45 by 3 we get roughly 15 feet apiece not counting a bilge, nor the thickness of the deck planks and their beams. Fifteen feet can accommodate pretty tall animals; and provide enough room for the birds to exercise now and then too.

An ark 450 feet by 75 feet, with three decks would have provided 101,250 square feet of living space. If Noah were resourceful, he might have installed shelves and cabinets on the hull and the bulkheads, plus more on the undersides of the decks, and the underside of the ark's cover for even more storage/living space. Detractors insist there wasn't enough space aboard for all the various creatures in Noah's day, but they fail to take into account a few facts. For one, nobody really knows how long the cubit of Noah's day was and, nobody really knows how many species of life existed in his day. Plus, larger creatures could have shared their spaces with smaller creatures, even permitting the ones smaller than themselves to climb up on them.

I wish we were told more about the ark— how Noah and his boys fastened all the wood together, and especially how they cut it to size. They say there are seven wonders of the ancient world, but that is not quite accurate. There's actually eight if we include Noah's ark. Sure, building a big wooden barge like Noah's would be child's play for a modern shipyard like Northrop Grumman Newport News; but in his day, it had to be quite a feat.

Continued  > >
/

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 24, 2011 - 10:08AM #50
Webers_Home

Gen 6:17-20

†. Gen 6:17 . . For My part, I am about to bring the Flood— waters upon the earth— to destroy all flesh under the sky in which there is breath of life; everything on earth shall perish.

Some think the Flood was merely a local even rather than a worldwide deluge. But that is not the way Genesis describes it. The author quotes God saying; to destroy "all flesh under the sky" and: "everything on earth" shall perish.

If the Flood were to be local, then it would only be necessary for Noah and his family and the animals to simply migrate to a different region rather than go to all the trouble of building an ark. No. The idea of localized flooding is totally unacceptable because "the sky" is everywhere.

Ironically, and perhaps even humorously, many of the people arguing for a localized Flood are convinced it's a myth anyway so I have clue where they see the point of arguing its extent.

The word for "waters" is from mayim (mah'-yim) which is a plural noun that can be used either in a plural sense as here in Gen 6:17, or in a singular sense as in Gen 21:14. Just exactly how much aquatic life died in the flood is hard to tell. If the seas were diluted with too much fresh water, then the salt water species would not do well. Same problem would apply to the fresh water varieties of life. Too much salt, and they could perish. Some species of sea life are adaptable to both fresh water and salt, e.g. Sockeye Salmon.

This raises an interesting question. At one time the whole earth was covered with water until such a time as God deformed the crust at Gen 1:9 to make high ground. Was that water salty or fresh? I would say salty because making fresh water doesn't require a miracle to manufacture; it just requires evaporation; which is a natural process rather than a miraculous process.

So then, were the waters of the Flood fresh water or seawater? I would venture to guess fresh, so that the resulting dilution of the waters of the oceans would probably (just guessing) leave them with enough salt percentage to support sea-dwelling creatures but not enough salt percentage to kill off the creatures of lakes, streams, and rivers.

†. Gen 6:18 . . But I will establish My covenant with you, and you shall enter the ark, with your sons, your wife, and your sons’ wives.

Biblical covenants may include stipulations for all parties involved; and then again may stipulate responsibilities for only one of them with the other simply being along for the benefit. At this point in time, God didn't reveal any details about the covenant that "I will establish" until after the Flood was over.

†. Gen 6:19-20 . . And of all that lives, of all flesh, you shall take two of each into the ark to keep alive with you; they shall be male and female. From birds of every kind, cattle of every kind, every kind of creeping thing on earth, two of each shall come to you to stay alive.

Fortunately Noah didn't have to go on safari to round up his passengers. The Bible says two of each "shall come to you".  There was plenty of time for them to make it because Noah was 120 years building the ark and getting it ready. Since the animals selected were co-operative and docile, then the smaller beasties could hitch rides on the larger ones and thus save themselves some steps.

A man named Dave Kunst walked across today's world in just a little over 4 years from June 1970 to October 1974. Kunst walked a total of 14,450 miles, crossing four continents and thirteen countries, wearing out 21 pair of shoes, and walking more than 20 million steps. That was an odd thing to do, but does prove it can be done in a relatively short time; so 120 years was plenty enough for all the critters to make it on over to Noah's place in time for the Folly's maiden voyage. If the ark were to launch in 2012, critters would have been on the move towards it since 1892 —eleven years before the Wright Brothers historical flight —and probably reproduced many times along the way since there are not all that many species that live to see 120 years of age.

But how did they cross oceans? In the past that was doubtless a thorny theological problem. But with today's knowledge of the geological science of plate tectonics, the answer is as simple as two plus two. We now know that continental land masses can be shifted, and in point of fact the dry parts brought so close together as to form one single super continent.

We also know about magma hot spots and pressure points that can raise the earth's crust like a service elevator. Subduction also plays a role; pushing sea beds up above sea level and made to form land bridges; thus expediting migration. Normal geological process take thousands of years to accomplish, but when you factor in the Bible God's participation in the Flood event, it's no problem at all for He who has absolute power over not just the earth's geological processes; but all the rest of nature's processes too.

Actually the Earth's mantle is one continuous (albeit fractured) mass anyway, although its profile is so irregular that dry land sticks up above sea level at various high spots; which is a good thing because if the mantle were smooth, the world would be quite flooded all the time. In point of fact, if the Earth's mantle were perfectly smooth, like a billiard ball, there's enough water present even today to cover the land to a depth of 9,000 feet of water. That would be equivalent to a global ocean approximately 1.7 miles deep.

What about the dinosaurs? Did they go aboard with Noah too? It's very doubtful. Paleontologists are pretty sure the Jurassic era was over and gone by means of a mysterious mass extinction way before the entrance of human life.

It's believed by some that during the Permian period, 96 percent of all marine species and more than 50 percent of all other species disappeared. Later, at the end of the Cretaceous period, it's believed that another 1/3 of plant and animal species, including the dinosaur guys, went extinct.

So what about the carnivorous animals that came aboard with Noah— the lions and tigers and hawks and eagles and meerkats and alligators and crocodiles? No problem. According to Gen 1:29-30, all manner of animal life survived on a vegetarian diet in the past; including Man.

Some skeptics have objected that a wooden vessel the size of Noah's ark couldn't be built because the timbers required for its structural strength would have been so massive that Noah would never have managed to construct it. But the ancients were far more ingenious than most people living today realize. For example, nobody yet has really figured out how the Egyptians built the pyramids nor how the people of Easter Island cut, carved , and moved all those big stone heads around. And the Egyptians aren't the only ones to mystify us. There are ancient stone structures around the world that seem impossible to be erected by human hands prior to the age of heavy construction equipment; but nevertheless, there they are.

FAQ : Why bother to construct a floating menagerie when God could easily create the original creatures all over again after the Flood subsided?

Answer : That would require God to renege on a very important blessing.

. Gen 1:26 . . And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

. Gen 1:28 . . And God blessed them, and God said unto them: Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

God had to leave a remnant of earth's original fauna intact in order to make good on that blessing. Islam's Allah reserves to itself the right to abrogate anything and everything it says; but the Bible's God is a person of integrity who does not crawfish. His word is immutable.

In addition, creating the original animal kingdom all over again would require God to break the sabbath that He established for Himself at Gen 2:1-2. [compare Ex 20:8-11 and Ex 31:16-17]. In other words: the cosmos was finished, just as He said, and creation's God has not made anything new for it since.

Continued  > >
/

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 26  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 26 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook