Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Seventy metal books found in cave in Jordan
3 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2011 - 1:33PM #1
Stardove
Could this be the biggest find since the Dead Sea Scrolls?   Seventy metal books found in cave in Jordan could change our view of Biblical history

For scholars of faith and history, it is a treasure trove too precious for price.

This ancient collection of 70 tiny books, their lead pages bound with wire, could unlock some of the secrets of the earliest days of Christianity.

Academics are divided as to their authenticity but say that if verified, they could prove as pivotal as the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls in 1947.

More at link.

The article says the metal books were found five years ago, but this is the first I've read about them.  There are pictures at the link.  They are said to be the size of a credit card.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2011 - 1:43PM #2
Christianlib

Pending authentication and study, this could be a very interesting find.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2011 - 1:52PM #3
teilhard

prediction ...

This Discovery may well inspire some creative TV Script Writer now to offer-up a NEW "CIS"-Style-Indiana-Jones-Type Show, "Diggin' in The Dust" ...

It could be advertised in Part by judicious Use of The Monty Python Skit on "The Raw Violent World of International Archaeology" ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2011 - 2:28PM #4
mountain_man

Don't forget these plates were found long ago and their provenance is questionable. They were found either 5 years ago or over 100 years ago, either in Egypt or Jordan as the story varies, taken to Israel, then lost for awhile, now rediscovered by someone connected with biblical forgeries. It sounds to me like these plate need to be stored in the James Ossuary along with the many pieces of the True Cross, and the Shroud of Turin.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2011 - 2:28PM #5
Echo_of_me
Very exciting if they are authenticated, particularly the sealed books. Let's hope the political and ownership issues are resolved soon so that they can be studied.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2011 - 2:31PM #6
Christianlib

Apr 1, 2011 -- 2:28PM, mountain_man wrote:

Don't forget these plates were found long ago and their provenance is questionable. They were found either 5 years ago or over 100 years ago, either in Egypt or Jordan as the story varies, taken to Israel, then lost for awhile, now rediscovered by someone connected with biblical forgeries. It sounds to me like these plate need to be stored in the James Ossuary along with the many pieces of the True Cross, and the Shroud of Turin.

True, MM.  They did not come to light "in situ."

Provenance will be tough.  And just a note, radio carbon dating works only with organic material, not with metals.

Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2011 - 3:48PM #7
Ironhold

And to think -

Those of us who are Mormon used to get laughed at for putting forth the notion of potentially sacred writings being kept on metal plates.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2011 - 3:55PM #8
Christianlib

Well, Iron, these plates, if genuine or not, are available for all to view, and the aren't in some language translated by only one man who we must "trust" both for the reality of the plates and the veracity of the translation.

But, I don't expect you to be willing to see or admit that difference.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2011 - 4:03PM #9
farragut

"Those of us who are Mormon used to get laughed at for putting forth the notion of potentially sacred writings being kept on metal plates."

And you still do, quite justifiably.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2011 - 4:11PM #10
mecdukebec

Apr 1, 2011 -- 3:48PM, Ironhold wrote:

And to think -

Those of us who are Mormon used to get laughed at for putting forth the notion of potentially sacred writings being kept on metal plates.

No, nobody's laughing about that, Iron:  Just merely that those 'magical' plates aren't in "Reformed Egyptian," whose squiggles, cerley-cews, and weird characters, JS claimed were some ancient, dead language, spoken by millions in North America, with steel mills, civilisations numbering in the millions, that suddenly went Poof!, and disappeared just a few 1500 some years ago, without a trace.  But, who's to worry, that civilisation either is the ancient Toltec, Mayan, Patagonian, Inuit, Irondiquot, or Hill Cumorah civilisation, or in the alternative, the Reformed-Eygyptian speaking civ is somewhere in Cloudcuckooland.

Nah, ain't nobody laughing here.  No, Sir. 

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook