Switch to Forum Live View What Was the Martyrdom of Jesus Really About?
4 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2011 - 10:39PM #1
Reformationnow
Here's an article on the Martyrdom of Jesus. See what you think of it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 23, 2011 - 12:33PM #2
teilhard

According to The Canonical Gospels (ONE Aspect of ) The Self-Understanding of The Historical Lord Jesus (The Christ) of Nazareth is, "Prophet" ...

So ONE Understanding of His Martyrdom and Resurrection is -- "Prophetic Act" ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2011 - 7:23PM #3
Bob_Bennett

I agree with about 95 % of the article and think that it needs to be circulated widely as an improvement on the curent myth.

I see the purpose of Jesus' martyrdom as being the need for a very public death so as to support the resurrection story.   Jesus rose spiritually, not physicallly.   He also became an "Ascended Master" and thereby had the power to come and go in appearance, as a shape shifter so to speak.

For more info on Ascended Masters, read  "The Disappearance of the Universe" in which the two ascended masters who arrive to teach and instruct the author also have the ability as did Jesus to come and go and take on the appearance of form, and then let it go.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2011 - 7:58PM #4
Bob_Bennett

Neither the Apostles nor the writers of the Gospels understood the true mission of Jesus, which was to be the Christ Avatar for the cosmic Age of Pisces, the fishes, similar in duties to Melchisadek.  They failed to understand John 18:37 and Luke 12:56.

Because of that, the writers of the Gospels were all caught up in trying to prove that Jesus was the Messiah of the Old Testament, and hence they were driven to find ways to prove it, ofter referring to mystical tasks performed by Jesus with these words "so as to fulfill the prophecy" even when there was no prophecy to be found.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2011 - 11:07AM #5
teilhard

There have always been and I suppose always will be MANY different Understandings of The Lord Jesus (The Christ) of Nazareth ...

(Reportedly) He once asked His closest Disciples, "What are People saying about me ... ???" Some thought Him to be Elijah Returned or one of the other Prophets ...

He then (reportedly) asked, "And who do YOU think I am ... ???"

Apr 1, 2011 -- 7:58PM, Bob_Bennett wrote:

Neither the Apostles nor the writers of the Gospels understood the true mission of Jesus, which was to be the Christ Avatar for the cosmic Age of Pisces, the fishes, similar in duties to Melchisadek.  They failed to understand John 18:37 and Luke 12:56.

Because of that, the writers of the Gospels were all caught up in trying to prove that Jesus was the Messiah of the Old Testament, and hence they were driven to find ways to prove it, ofter referring to mystical tasks performed by Jesus with these words "so as to fulfill the prophecy" even when there was no prophecy to be found.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2011 - 11:58AM #6
RJMcElwain

Apr 1, 2011 -- 7:23PM, Bob_Bennett wrote:

I agree with about 95 % of the article and think that it needs to be circulated widely as an improvement on the curent myth.

I see the purpose of Jesus' martyrdom as being the need for a very public death so as to support the resurrection story.   Jesus rose spiritually, not physicallly.   He also became an "Ascended Master" and thereby had the power to come and go in appearance, as a shape shifter so to speak.

For more info on Ascended Masters, read  "The Disappearance of the Universe" in which the two ascended masters who arrive to teach and instruct the author also have the ability as did Jesus to come and go and take on the appearance of form, and then let it go.

I agree with parts of the article, but I don't think I'd put my percentage nearly as high as 95%. It seems the author of the article is intent on painting Jesus as a full blown pacifist far more than I can comprehend. OTOH, I agree that the Gospel writers were determined to describe Jesus as the fulfillment of OT prophecy.

Far too many scholars seem to have difficulty reading Scriptures in the context of first century Israel, instead viewing the stories in terms of the 21st century. That's a problem.

Robert J. McElwain

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." (Supposedly)Thomas Jefferson

"He who is not angry when there is just cause for anger is immoral."
St. Thomas Aquinas

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2011 - 3:24PM #7
teilhard

If indeed The Sacred Texts of ANY Tradition are read fairly much EXCLUSIVELY as Antiquarian Curiosities, then for sure THOSE-People-back-then-and-THEIR-Time-and-Culture must and will determine the "Meaning" of The Texts ...

But ... As "Sacred Texts," per se, their Meanings are both "Timeless" and "Timely," addressing 
"Modern" and "Post-Modern" Readers every bit as much as The Ancient Ones ...

BTW ... And no, this isn't anything like "Deconstruction" ... It's about The Universal "Sacred" ...

Apr 2, 2011 -- 11:58AM, RJMcElwain wrote:

Apr 1, 2011 -- 7:23PM, Bob_Bennett wrote:

I agree with parts of the article, but I don't think I'd put my percentage nearly as high as 95%. It seems the author of the article is intent on painting Jesus as a full blown pacifist far more than I can comprehend. OTOH, I agree that the Gospel writers were determined to describe Jesus as the fulfillment of OT prophecy.

Far too many scholars seem to have difficulty reading Scriptures in the context of first century Israel, instead viewing the stories in terms of the 21st century. That's a problem.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook