Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Switch to Forum Live View Terrible Texts of the Bible
5 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2010 - 12:07PM #41
teilhard

Feb 9, 2010 -- 7:21AM, Dennis wrote:

Sure, Teilhard. Here is Spong on "God."

The last paragraph of Why Christianity Must Change or Die:

"I am first, last, and always a believer. I define myself theologically as a believer who lives in exile. I have lived and worshiped as a believer. I shall continue to do so and to be so until the day I die. When that moment comes, I expect to enter even mor deeply into the reality of the God in whom I have lived and moved and had my being.

"I am therefore at peace.

"Shalom."

Feb 8, 2010 -- 11:21AM, teilhard wrote:

Feb 8, 2010 -- 7:53AM, Dennis wrote:

I was speaking metaphorically, Teilhard... To mumble means also to "bite or chew with or as with toothless gums," which is the (lack of) effect of your post I quoted had, after you had shown you hadn't read Spong by calling him an "atheist" on Feb 4.

So ... if you're inclined, feel free to quote Bishop Spong re: "God" ...

uh huh ... Yes, Bishop Spong DOES "mumble" some Things about "God,"

as in his "New Christianity for a New World," p. 71 --

"In that process of coming to know that which we name as divine, the God who is love is slowly transformed into the love that is God. Let me repeat that ... We breathe love in, and we breathe love out. It is omnipresent, omniscient, omnipotent. It is never exhausted, always expanding. When I try to describe this reality, words fail me; so I simply utter the name 'God.' That name, however, is no longer for me the name of a BEING ... "

Yes ... Bishop Spong LOVES "Love" ... Be NICE to Everybody ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 11, 2010 - 11:50AM #42
Dennis

You didn't have a point, Teilhard. Just a bit of your angst in the notion that one might have a different perception of god than you.  It might go away. I proved my point. You? You proved my point, too. Not all are stuck in your anthropomorphic vision of "god" as created in the image of humanity! In fact, fewer and fewer are. And, that is good!

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 11, 2010 - 7:46PM #43
teilhard

Feb 11, 2010 -- 11:50AM, Dennis wrote:

You didn't have a point, Teilhard. Just a bit of your angst in the notion that one might have a different perception of god than you.  It might go away. I proved my point. You? You proved my point, too. Not all are stuck in your anthropomorphic vision of "god" as created in the image of humanity! In fact, fewer and fewer are. And, that is good!

Indeed, The Fundamentalist-"Materialist" Bunch are STUCK in The SAME "Historical"-"Scientific" Literalism as The Fundamentalist-Creationists ... !!!

For THEM such, it's either ( some "kind" of ) "Zeus" ... or "Atheism" ... Go Figure ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 12, 2010 - 7:59AM #44
Dennis

Teilhard you would do well to note that when respondents speak about you instead of engaging you in conversation, your views have become completely irrelevant.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 12, 2010 - 11:21AM #45
teilhard

Feb 9, 2010 -- 12:07PM, teilhard wrote:

"I am first, last, and always a believer. I define myself theologically as a believer who lives in exile. I have lived and worshiped as a believer. I shall continue to do so and to be so until the day I die. When that moment comes, I expect to enter even mor deeply into the reality of the God in whom I have lived and moved and had my being.

"Shalom."

I was speaking metaphorically, Teilhard... To mumble means also to "bite or chew with or as with toothless gums," which is the (lack of) effect of your post I quoted had, after you had shown you hadn't read Spong by calling him an "atheist" on Feb 4.

"In that process of coming to know that which we name as divine, the God who is love is slowly transformed into the love that is God. Let me repeat that ... We breathe love in, and we breathe love out. It is omnipresent, omniscient, omnipotent. It is never exhausted, always expanding. When I try to describe this reality, words fail me; so I simply utter the name 'God.' That name, however, is no longer for me the name of a BEING ... "

Indeed, so let's get BACK to The TOPIC of The Thread, shall we ... ???

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 12, 2010 - 11:50AM #46
RJMcElwain

Feb 12, 2010 -- 7:59AM, Dennis wrote:

Teilhard you would do well to note that when respondents speak about you instead of engaging you in conversation, your views have become completely irrelevant.

Worth repeating.

Robert J. McElwain

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." (Supposedly)Thomas Jefferson

"He who is not angry when there is just cause for anger is immoral."
St. Thomas Aquinas

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 12, 2010 - 12:40PM #47
teilhard

Feb 12, 2010 -- 11:50AM, RJMcElwain wrote:

Feb 12, 2010 -- 7:59AM, Dennis wrote:

Worth repeating.

LOL ... Yes, yes, yes ... The Skeptic-"Materialist"-Scoffer-"Atheist" Folks

regard The Views of People of Faith as "irrelevant" ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 12, 2010 - 12:41PM #48
teilhard

Feb 12, 2010 -- 11:21AM, teilhard wrote:

Feb 9, 2010 -- 12:07PM, teilhard wrote:

"Shalom."

Indeed, so let's get BACK to The TOPIC of The Thread, shall we ... ???

So, indeed, let's get BACK to The TOPIC of The Thread, okay ... ???

See: Bishop Spong's above-quoted "mumbling" about "God" ...

Discuss ... or not ... whatever ...

( HOWEVER, if NOT ... then I guess we agree that Bishops Spong's Ideas of "God" aren't WORTH much serious Discussion ... ??? )

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 12, 2010 - 1:29PM #49
RJMcElwain

Feb 8, 2010 -- 10:21AM, Iwantamotto wrote:

Maybe I need to read this guy.  Sounds like Spong is like Jesus, able to out quote-mine those who dislike what he says?

I highly recommend him. He has so many good books our there, I'm not sure which one to recommend to start with. I know "Born of a Woman" and "Rescuing the Bible From Fundamentalism" seem to be near the top of most people's lists.

And, as you suggest, he does enjoy a good hearty debate with any of the fundamentalist scholars because he, generally, knows the Bible better than they do. I've seen some videos of some of these debates and they're very enlightening.

Robert J. McElwain

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." (Supposedly)Thomas Jefferson

"He who is not angry when there is just cause for anger is immoral."
St. Thomas Aquinas

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. Plato
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 12, 2010 - 2:13PM #50
teilhard

Feb 12, 2010 -- 1:29PM, RJMcElwain wrote:

Feb 8, 2010 -- 10:21AM, Iwantamotto wrote:

Maybe I need to read this guy.  Sounds like Spong is like Jesus, able to out quote-mine those who dislike what he says?

I highly recommend him. He has so many good books our there, I'm not sure which one to recommend to start with. I know "Born of a Woman" and "Rescuing the Bible From Fundamentalism" seem to be near the top of most people's lists.

And, as you suggest, he does enjoy a good hearty debate with any of the fundamentalist scholars because he, generally, knows the Bible better than they do. I've seen some videos of some of these debates and they're very enlightening.

Books by Lord NostraDawkins are very popular these Days also .

Moderated by RJMcElwain on Feb 12, 2010 - 05:28PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook