Switch to Forum Live View Jesus & Peter on the Water (Matt. 14:25-31)
5 years ago  ::  Nov 19, 2009 - 7:35PM #1
Heterodoxus
And in the fourth watch of the night he came to them, walking on the sea.
But when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were terrified, and said, "It is a ghost!" and they cried out in fear.
But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, "
Take heart; it is I. Do not be afraid."
And Peter answered him, "Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water."
He said, "Come." So Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to Jesus.
But when he saw the wind, he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out, "Lord, save me."
Jesus immediately reached out his hand and took hold of him,....

~ Matthew 14:25-30 ESV

From where, or from whom, did Christian belief in the supernatural phenomenon of levitation originate?

One of the first duties of a Christian theologian should be to remind people to not read the Bible.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 20, 2009 - 1:03PM #2
teilhard

More than ONE Bible Scholar

has suggested that The Story in Question

MAY be a "mis-placed 'Resurrection Narrative'" ...

( see: Luke 24:36-43; John 21:1-14 ) ...

Interesting ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 20, 2009 - 5:26PM #3
Heterodoxus

Nov 20, 2009 -- 1:03PM, teilhard wrote:

More than ONE Bible Scholar

has suggested that The Story in Question

MAY be a "mis-placed 'Resurrection Narrative'" ...

( see: Luke 24:36-43; John 21:1-14 ) ...

Interesting ...

Yes, very! So, too John 20:11-18, where Mary--even though she was looking at Jesus--didn't recognize him until he spoke to her.

But, that's a separate (albeit fascinating) issue related to what one's spirit might do when their body dies. Perhaps we can examine that issue later?

One of the first duties of a Christian theologian should be to remind people to not read the Bible.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 09, 2009 - 8:26AM #4
natureboy_the0

To understand Jesus, one has to first understand the original meaning for the word I have made bold in Genesis 1: 28.  "And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth."  Dominion's original meaning was to exceed the ability of but because of the flood, beginning in chapter 6, those abilities are removed from most man.  We also have to remember water in scripture also represent knowledge.  

With that background information, the walking on the water scenario shows us Jesus lived the words of scripture while Peter would began live them but fall short of everlasting life.  Another thing it does is show us how we are also to be able to do what he did, per John 14:12.

Are you questioning your beliefs, ask I AM THAT I AM to clarify them!
Elijah Alfred "NatureBoy" Alexander, Jr. presenting SEEDS OF LIFE
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook