Page 7 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
4 years ago  ::  Jan 02, 2011 - 5:40PM #61
Dennis

Nothing disgusting about that. Some of the more expensive Bibles are squeezably soft.

Jan 2, 2011 -- 12:46PM, teilhard wrote:

ummmm ... You're the only Person around here who writes such disgusting Things re: The Sacred Texts ...

Jan 2, 2011 -- 11:41AM, Dennis wrote:

Christian. I make a distinction between the Christian texts and the Hebrew texts. I know, fools don't. They think god handed them the Hebrew Bible and told them to use it to paper the outhouse with it since "he" told them they had superseded it, but I make a distinction.

Jan 2, 2011 -- 8:07AM, teilhard wrote:

Even in "Jeremiah" ... ??? in "Hosea" ... ???

Jan 2, 2011 -- 6:36AM, Dennis wrote:

It's there, throughout the Christian Bible.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 02, 2011 - 7:48PM #62
teilhard

Jan 2, 2011 -- 5:40PM, Dennis wrote:

ummmm ... You're the only Person around here who writes such disgusting Things re: The Sacred Texts ...

Christian. I make a distinction between the Christian texts and the Hebrew texts. I know, fools don't. They think god handed them the Hebrew Bible and told them to use it to paper the outhouse with it since "he" told them they had superseded it, but I make a distinction.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 03, 2011 - 7:56AM #63
Dennis

Your last post, which was blank, Teil, sums up all of yours!

Jan 2, 2011 -- 5:40PM, Dennis wrote:

Nothing disgusting about that. Some of the more expensive Bibles are squeezably soft.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 03, 2011 - 11:30AM #64
teilhard

The TOPIC of The Thread ...

Jan 1, 2011 -- 11:28PM, teilhard wrote:

I see we're STILL haggling over the (supposed) "Anti-Jewish-ness" of The Early Church ... I still don't "buy" it ..

Mar 3, 2009 -- 12:40PM, teilhard wrote:

Mar 2, 2009 -- 1:15PM, MisterC wrote:

Teilard said, "In The Canonical Gospels, the ( eventually LETHAL ) Conflict reported between Jesus of Nazareth and "hoi Ioudaioi" is NOT between "Jesus" and "The Jews" -- as if "Jesus of Nazareth" had been ( REALLY ) a Swedish Methodist from Iowa -- but rather the Conflict WAS between "Galilean" Jews and "Judean" Jews ..."

Not really. In Mark and Matthew, the "anti-Jewish" statements up until the Passion fiction deal primarily with Pharisees. It was a religious conflict, not a secular one. (Mark: chapters 3, 7, 8, 10.  Matthew: chapters 12, 15, 19, 22, 23). Actually, the fiction of Mark has him teaching in the temple to a supportive audience. It is not the hoi polloi but the leaders, the religious leaders, who Mark has trying to do him in.

One finds, with the second century escalation of the rhetoric, that in Luke those of Nazareth at the fictional synagogue try to kill him. He is also condemned at another unnamed synagogue in Luke 13. In Acts 2, one finds "Jews from every nation under heaven" living in Jerusalem. The author of Acts also has "Jews" living in Damascus and elswhere, but he wouldn't really have known much about the situation two or more generations after the setting. Apparently, there were all of these "Jews" in John's Capernaum that didn't much care for him, although in the completely fictional John, he places more of the setting in Judea, where ideed, it seems like "Judeans" wanted to kill him,  than Galilee. At this point, though we have reached the summit of the anti-Semitic gospels. When we are speaking of Acts and John, we are speaking of blatant anti-Jewish rhetoric, whether one calls it "Judean" or "Jewish." It is completely a second century mindset in which Jerusalem has been destroyed because the Jews were Christ killers. It makes no difference which side of Samaria they were from. Rome did not destroy only Judea. Galilee was also part of the "scorched earth" policy, as well as diasporan communities. (The Jesus Seminar papers I have been reading lately place Mark and Matt in Southern Syria, probably C. Philippi, from the late 70's, Mark to around the beginning of the second century, Matthew.)

No ... The "Gospels" are NOT "anti-Semitic" any more than is, say,  "The Book of the Prophet Jeremiah" ...

The Lord Jesus of Nazareth was regarded by many as a "Prophet" ( Matthew 21:11 ) or at least as a Pretender-Prophet, but in any case as a Clear-and-Present DANGER to Public Order and Safety (as were Jeremiah and OTHER Prophets ) ...

So SOME of The Pharisees and Sadducees and The Roman Governor and Herod Antipas ALL apparently took notice of The Jesus Movement and attempted to SQUASH Him and It ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 04, 2011 - 4:24AM #65
Dennis

And, it has been covered quite well in the Acts thread in Historical Jesus and the Ananias thread in Bible. In all three forums I (as well as the incredibly articulate, intelligent and educated Mister C Wink)have used a myriad of scholarly opinion. You have merely added personal conjecture.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 04, 2011 - 11:42AM #66
teilhard

THIS isn't "conjecture" ... it's FACT ...

Feb 22, 2009 -- 3:31PM, teilhard wrote:

Anway, GOOD Translation is especially VERY important in PROPERLY Understanding those portions of The Greek Testament Writings which have Historically been used ( WRONGLY !!! ) to foster "Anti-Jewish" Sentiments ... OFTEN, The Koine Word, "hoi Ioudaioi" has been WRONGLY translated as "The Jews," where it SHOULD have been Translated as "The JUDEANS" ... The Lord Jesus of Nazareth and ALL of His Earliest Disciples WERE "Jewish" AND they were even MORE clearly Trouble-making "Galileans" ( !!! ) ... THAT Fact is the REAL Meaning of those Greek Testament Invectives AGAINST "The JUDEANS" ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 7 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook