Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View The real purpose for Zion and Practicing United Order
9 years ago  ::  Feb 19, 2009 - 1:09PM #1
Mattscar75
I have been thinking about Zion and about the subject of the Law of Consecration and the United Order,  alot.  I have been thinking about the relationship with verses from Section 136 (The only cannonized portion of scripture from Brigham Young)  and from JST Exodus 34:1,2 and JST Exodus 33:20.  So what I can tell, is this was the purpose all along for Joseph trying to build Zion, for the Lord to reveal himself to the Saints. But the Saints were not prepared at the time and are probably not at this time as well, yet.  Do you think with the Lord revealing himself to the Saints was to constitute at least in part, the Second coming, or was it to be a separate event or is this to happen in the Millenium. Joseph Smith taught that the Lord wanted to make the Children of Israel with Moses a Kingdom of Priests after the Order of Melchizedek but they were not ready for it, so they were stuck with the Mosiac Law and the Levitical Priesthood as a way of preparing for the Greater Priesthood and so forth.   

22 I am he who led the children of Israel out of the land of Egypt; and my arm is stretched out in the last days, to save my people Israel.

31 My people must be tried in all things, that they may be prepared to receive the glory that I have for them, even the glory of Zion; and he that will not bear chastisement is not worthy of my kingdom.

37 Therefore, marvel not at these things, for ye are not YET PURE; YE CAN NOT YET BEAR MY GLORY; but ye shall behold it if ye are faithful in keeping all my words that I have given you, from the days of Adam to Abraham, from Abraham to Moses, from Moses to Jesus and his apostles, and from Jesus and his apostles to Joseph Smith, whom I did call upon by mine cangels, my ministering servants, and by mine own voice out of the heavens, to bring forth my work;

Exodus 34:1,2
1 And the Lord said unto Moses, Hew thee two other tables of stone, like unto the first, and I will write upon them also, the words of the law, according as they were written at the first on the tables which thou brakest; but it shall not be according to the first, for I will take away the priesthood out of their midst; THEREFORE MY HOLY ORDER, and the ordinances thereof, shall not go before them; for my presence shall not go up in their midst, lest I destroy them.
  2 But I will give unto them the law as at the first, but it shall be after the law of a carnal commandment; for I have sworn in my wrath, that they shall not enter into my presence, into my rest, in the days of their pilgrimage. Therefore do as I have commanded thee, and be ready in the morning, and come up in the morning unto mount Sinai,

Exodus 33:20
20 And he said unto Moses, Thou canst not see my face at this time, lest mine anger be kindled against thee also, and I destroy thee, and thy people; for there shall no man among them see me at this time, and live, for they are exceeding sinful. And no sinful man hath at any time, neither shall there be any sinful man at any time, that shall see my face and live.

I would like to start a good healthy discussion on this matter, and any insights would be welcome.
"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."   Black Elk
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Feb 19, 2009 - 11:26PM #2
withwonderingawe
I believe you are right about the purpose. I was reading through 4 Nephi

“And they had all things common among them; therefore there were not rich and poor, bond and free, but they were all made free, and partakers of the heavenly gift….
…And they did not walk any more after the performances and ordinances of the law of Moses; but they did walk after the commandments which they had received from their Lord and their God, ….
…..And there were no envyings, nor strifes, nor tumults, nor whoredoms, nor lyings, nor murders, nor any manner of lasciviousness; and surely there could not be a happier people among all the people who had been created by the hand of God.
There were no robbers, nor murderers, neither were there Lamanites, nor any manner of -ites; but they were in one, the children of Christ, and heirs to the kingdom of God”

It’s creating a Zion people.

These people were able to keep it together for about 3 generations and then it fell apart.

The early Mormons never were able to get it off the ground. The Whitmers were suppose to buy up some land to start a United Order system but somehow they resold it or something. I never really understood what that was all about.
Wise men still seek him.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2009 - 1:21PM #3
Mattscar75
That is a good point about the Nephites practiced it as well.  So, that we know of obviously Enoch practiced it, the Nephites, for a small time in the Early Christian Church found in the Book of Acts, and the LDS practiced it a few different times for  short periods.  From some reading I have done it was practiced for a short time in Jackson County before they were expelled.  It seems it never took off because the Saints were so poor, Bishop Partidge and William W. Phelps were kind of in charge of it.  I have also read that it was practiced for a short time in Caldwell County, Missouri, and later in Utah in certain communities like Orderville in Southern Utah.  I don't believe it was ever attempted in Nauvoo.  Hopefully when the time is right, whenever that is, it will be done right and not break down.  I beleive though that in the future it will have to go right and how it was designed to be from the beginning.
"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."   Black Elk
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook