Switch to Forum Live View Questioning the D&C
6 years ago  ::  Feb 19, 2009 - 9:42AM #1
withwonderingawe
This thread is for any questions or comments about Joseph Smith and his revelations.
Wise men still seek him.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 18, 2009 - 9:24PM #2
Unworthyone

OK, here's a question:

Why is it that section 132:52 the revelation regarding God's commandment to engage in polygamy, is written in the past tense, unless Joseph had already engaged in the practice before revealing this "New and Everlasting Covenant" to Emma, Joseph's only legal wife?

Excuse me for being a cynic, but if Tiger Woods was a prophet, this is exactly the type of "revelation" we would expect from him, isn't it?

I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend.  Thomas Jefferson

Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.
Albert Einstein

You can get anything you want out of life if you will just help enough other people get what they want. Zig Ziglar

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/03/29/opinion/why-i-m-for-the-brady-bill.html
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 28, 2009 - 1:35PM #3
withwonderingawe

There is plenty of documentation which shows that Joseph received this revelation as early as 1831 and that Emma knew all about it. I personally believe she was there when he received it because she was helping him translate the Book of Mormon at the time they ran across it there.

Emma had a hard time with it. One day she is participating and being part of the sealing the next she is angry. They were getting ready for the first temple ceremonies and she was to be the first to receive her endowments. But it appears from this passage that because of her struggle she was offered a separation or divorce. She decided to “cleave” to Joseph and passed the test.

She was the first to receive her endowments and become part of the Holy Order of the priesthood which includes women.

When it comes to Tiger, we need to look at the quality of the women. Joseph wasn’t jumping in bed with every tramp that crossed his way.

These women were all good Christian women and when taught the principle of plural marriage they flinched. It was something they all struggled with and some wrote of receiving personal revelation on the matter. One claimed to have seen into the Celestial kingdom another was visited by angels. All of the women stayed in the Church even after his death, they were very committed to the gospel.

Wise men still seek him.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook