Switch to Forum Live View Isn't the Tanakh and the Old Testament basically the same thing.
6 years ago  ::  Oct 12, 2008 - 10:13PM #1
Ilovethelord
Isn't the Tanakh and the Old Testament basically the same thing. I guess out of respect to Christians like me it's known as Old Testament and with respect to the Jews it's called the Tanakh. May you all be blessed-Juan.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 12, 2008 - 11:09PM #2
ffb
I happen to think not. Not only is the name offensive because it indicates "old" and "replaced with something else" but the "Old testament" is a translated document with differences from the tanach text in the order I certain books, I believe, and the meanings of certain phrases.

some information can be found here http://www.outreachjudaism.org/matthew.html
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 21, 2008 - 8:15PM #3
Rabbi2008
The answer to your question is both yes and no. Yes, in that it is made of the same collection of writings. No, because many Christian Bibles use the Koine Greek Septuagint which mistranslates large parts of it. Further more, The Church put the books in a different order and altered several verse to make them appear to pointing to Jesus of Nazareth. The Jewish Bible, or Tanakh, uses the Masoretic script which matches the oldest known copy of the Tanakh called The Dead Sea Scrolls which date from between 100 and 200 B.C.E. Hope this clarifies things a little better for you.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 23, 2009 - 4:13PM #4
Idenitycrisis

Oct 12, 2008 -- 10:13PM, Ilovethelord wrote:

Isn't the Tanakh and the Old Testament basically the same thing. I guess out of respect to Christians like me it's known as Old Testament and with respect to the Jews it's called the Tanakh. May you all be blessed-Juan.

Seeing that this collection of writings, was the property of the Jewish people before Christianity came on the scene, I think they have dibs on what to call them.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 27, 2009 - 10:40PM #5
Pam34

I don't much mind the 'old' designation as long as the implication is of 'original' as opposed to counterfeit.

At any rate - the Tanakh contains all the books of a PROTESTANT 'OT' but not the Catholic version, which contains many books which were not accepted into the Jewish canon of scripture (like Ecclesiasticus and Susannah and the Elders and a bunch of others, known collectively as 'the Apocrypha'. Even the Books of the Maccabees are preserved only in the Catholic OT, and are not in the Tanakh).

However - and this is an important caveat, because ordering changes meaning - the books are not in the same order after the first seven books. The Tanakh places the books together in order of 'authority' and then 'topic' I suppose you'd say. First comes Torah (the Septuagint, or the Pentateuch). Next comes Nevi'im - the historical and prophetic books. And last comes Ketuvim, or the Writings - a mixed basket - Psalms and Proverbs, the Chronicles, Esther, Job, Song of Songs, Lamentations, Daniel, Ruth - inspirational or didactic literature, but not 'the word of God' in at all the same sense as Torah.

The Tanakh ends with Ezra, Nehemiah and Chronicles: the Jews have returned to the Land of Israel and are rebuilding it 'under God's rule'.

An OT ends with prophecies, allowing the NT to begin with the assumption that prophecies in the final books of the OT inevitably lead to the Gospel stories. This gives a very different flavor to the whole collection of books.

Changing order changes meaning. For that reason, some will say the 'OT' and the Tanakh are not the same.

(Plus there are a couple of differences in translations which are important to Christian theology, which are not - immediately - apparent from a Jewish translation of the same verses - at least in many Christian OT translations).

Blessed are You, HaShem, Who blesses the years.
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Jun 25, 2013 - 10:37AM #6
river8101

In answer to the opening question, the answer is NO.  The New Testament is a later Greek translation and contains the NT.   The Jewish TaNaKh does not use the NT. 

“Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe something your intellect would otherwise cause you to reject.”
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Jul 05, 2013 - 1:07PM #7
Pam34

That wasn't the question, riv. The question was whether the Christian OLD testament and the Tanakh were the same. The NT wasn't mentioned.

A Christian 'Bible' and the Jewish 'Bible' are not the same thing, though, clearly enough.

Blessed are You, HaShem, Who blesses the years.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook