Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
10 years ago  ::  May 05, 2008 - 10:54AM #1
Gemsbok
When was the book of mormon written?  Also what is it about?  Just a quick description is all I ask.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  May 06, 2008 - 6:39PM #2
withwonderingawe
If you’ll go here
http://scriptures.lds.org/en/bm/introduction

You’ll find a very brief explanation.

And then here is Joseph Smith’s own story

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/bm/jstestimony
Wise men still seek him.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2008 - 12:32AM #3
Lookbeyond
The Book of Mormon is Another Testament of Jesus Christ. It was written by many different Prophets or Leaders of the Church here on the Western Continent, beginning 600 B.C. and continuing to 421 A.D.  It begins with Lehi and his family leaving Jerusalem just prior to it's destruction, having been commanded by God to leave. It tells of the origin of the American Indian, and many other truths and was preserved for the Jew and the Gentile, to the convincing them that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the Living God.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Jul 04, 2008 - 9:56AM #4
Lookbeyond
The primary purpose of the Book of Mormon is to convince all people "that Jesus is the Christ, the Eternal God, manifesting himself unto all nations" (title page of the Book of Mormon). It teaches that all people "must come unto him, or they cannot be saved" (1 Nephi 13:40). Joseph Smith said that the Book of Mormon is "the keystone of our religion, and a man [will] get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book" (introduction to the Book of Mormon).

The Book of Mormon is another witness for the truths taught in the Bible. It also restores "plain and precious" truths that have been lost from the Bible through errors in translation or "taken away" in attempts to "pervert the right ways of the Lord" (see 1 Nephi 13:24–27, 1 Nephi 13:38–41). The Bible and the Book of Mormon "shall grow together, unto the confounding of false doctrines and laying down of contentions, and establishing peace" (2 Nephi 3:12).

Near the end of the Book of Mormon, the prophet Moroni teaches us how we can know the book is true: "When ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost" (Moroni 10:4; see also Moroni 10:3 and Moroni 10:5).
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Jul 26, 2008 - 11:40PM #5
1SonofGod
Why have the book of the morons when the Bible clearly teaches in Rev 22:19 "And if anyone takes words away from this book of prophecy, God will take away from him his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book."
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 08, 2008 - 12:14AM #6
bytebear
Because John was speaking of the Book of Revelation, not the Bible, because the Bible didn't exist.  "This Book" is not the Bible. 

On another note, it's sad that you come with a pretense of curiosity, and really come only to attack.  Get a copy of the Book of Mormon.  Read it, and decide for yourself if it is God's word.  I await your commentary after doing so.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Nov 10, 2008 - 6:17PM #7
Seraphim
I've done that. Read the Pearl of Great Price and Doctrine and Covenants too...found the BOM a more interesting read than the latter two but nothing in the BoM that would lead me to seriously consider it as being scripture. I received no special inner witness for it or against it.  It was a couriosity...sort of like a religious historical novel versified like the KJV...but that's about all.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Nov 17, 2008 - 3:42PM #8
christianguy1
Seraphim,
the question that the BoM presents to the reader is "is the book true?" If the book is a true account of real people then it is also vindication of Joseph Smith and his teachings.  If the book is true then Joseph Smith was a prophet of God.  If the book is merely an historical novel then we're back to sqare one.  That's why the Book of Mormon is different than other books. 
Additionally it is another witness of the divinity of Jesus Christ.  When it was first published no one questioned the divinity of Jesus, but today many people do.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Nov 19, 2008 - 7:25AM #9
withwonderingawe
I’ve asked several born again Christians if they have ever prayed to know if the Bible is true and they looked at me with a WHAT, why should I have to do that?

It’s just a given, something assumed to be true. And, then they assume their interpretation of the Bible is also true without giving it much thought. I’ve have been told that I can’t understand the Bible because I don’t have the Spirit, I’m not born again.
Well how can I become born again if I can’t understand the Bible???
Wise men still seek him.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2008 - 4:35PM #10
MisterC
[QUOTE=christianguy1;902048]Seraphim,
the question that the BoM presents to the reader is "is the book true?" If the book is a true account of real people then it is also vindication of Joseph Smith and his teachings.  If the book is true then Joseph Smith was a prophet of God.  If the book is merely an historical novel then we're back to sqare one.  That's why the Book of Mormon is different than other books. 
Additionally it is another witness of the divinity of Jesus Christ.  When it was first published no one questioned the divinity of Jesus, but today many people do.[/QUOTE]

That is actually incorrect. The search for the human Jesus, as opposed to the "divine" Christ began in the 1600's and 1700's. Some attribute it with Reimarus (1694-1768), some go back earlier. Even Thomas Jefferson, in his version of the gospels, written around 1800, excised the "divine" from Jesus.

Since the Bible is totally a production of humans, why not have Smith add a few pages? I find it (Book of Mormon) a bit too bloody for my sensabilities, but hey! Whatever turns one on! It's not like any of it really matters!
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook